Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,249,107 times

Advertisements

I am in receipt of a letter from Citi - not this one - Citi Wealth Management Operations, part of Citigroup. Has to do with unclaimed funds and they need to hear from me or funds go to the state next month.

Curious thing is I've never worked for Citi, not directly. I did work for them a year or two but through an agency so nothing was received from Citi. If I ever had a Citi credit card it was long ago.

So ... Citi managed to get my current address and I don't recall receiving anything in the past. I have no idea how Citi would have any type of funds that belong to me. I searched for predecessors and groupings with Citi and no clues there.

I'm happy to get whatever it is they have. I did look to see that the address was really Citi. It is and the email addy on the letter is using citi.com and that's a good one. I called and recording says it will be several days to hear back because they are flooded with calls. Also got email response, person out of office. Phone # is really Citi.

Anyone? My brain is reaching way back and actively thinking but it is a mystery. To send whatever it is they need signature, copy of D/L and current utility bill, plus last 4 of social.

Toss me some ideas! Will have to wait and see if the mod moves it to a Curious Letter forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I'd be leery of a scam. If you're really owed some money the'yd be sending it to you since they know where you are. You might want to check with the BBB about them.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
I say it smacks of a scam too... But if u can check it out and not get in the burned in the process- there is always the hope it's money in the bank. Good luck Kitty

Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Interesting issue to say the least. The funds in question could be some money that was left to you by a distant relative or friend who passed away. However before I’d send any information I would want to make certain to who I’m giving it to. This could be an identity fraud issue, or simply some new scam that has started. Be careful with what info you provide. I'd ask them why they think I'm the one they are looking for, and where did the money come from? Let them answer questions that you can ask.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I'd be leery of a scam. If you're really owed some money the'yd be sending it to you since they know where you are. You might want to check with the BBB about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I say it smacks of a scam too... But if u can check it out and not get in the burned in the process- there is always the hope it's money in the bank. Good luck Kitty
I'm already searching for any sort of scam using. Nothing yet matching this. Asking for the last 4 of the social .....scary. I'll see what sort of call I get back.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:24 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Place a call to your state attorney generals office and see what they think.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Red alert! I'm thinking if it was legit, they would NOT ask you to send them any personal information. No way would I send DL info or last four SSN digits.

If it is legit, and they send the mysterious money to the state, you can get it from the state later. I found a small amount of unclaimed money in my dad's name a couple years ago, more than 10 years after he died, and I had no problem getting it from my state. I believe every state has a similar unclaimed-funds account in place. Here's a link for Florida's unclaimed property site, for your future use. " + title_text + " And what the heck......check it out now, just in case there's other money out there in your name or that of a family member.

I sure would hesitate to follow through with Citi, though. That letter sounds like a red flag to me.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
This ^ is a good idea, too.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Red alert! I'm thinking if it was legit, they would NOT ask you to send them any personal information. No way would I send DL info or last four SSN digits.

If it is legit, and they send the mysterious money to the state, you can get it from the state later. I found a small amount of unclaimed money in my dad's name a couple years ago, more than 10 years after he died, and I had no problem getting it from my state. I believe every state has a similar unclaimed-funds account in place. Here's a link for Florida's unclaimed property site, for your future use. " + title_text + " And what the heck......check it out now, just in case there's other money out there in your name or that of a family member.

I sure would hesitate to follow through with Citi, though. That letter sounds like a red flag to me.
I agree. Sending out that type of info is never a good thing. I'm still searching, just found where some Citi high level officials had their own scams fleecing investors. And looks like lots of creeps are using the Citi name. I will go to the official Citi site and send an email.

Good idea to take a look at for unclaimed funds with the state!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:47 AM

I just did some more research online, and can't find any complaints about Citi Wealth Management Operations phishing or scamming anyone. I checked several sites, including snopes. Citibank had some pfishing episodes a few years back, but I saw nothing similar to your letter, Kitty. I'd wait for the return phone call and see what they have to say. Perhaps when you can finally talk to a person there, they can give you details about the amount you are owed and the source of the funds. If that info triggers a memory and sounds legit to you, then it probably is.

I still wouldn't send any personal info via snail mail or email just yet. Good luck!

Edit: I was still writing the above when you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics