Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,900 times

Advertisements

I have an elderly friend who's been talking about his grandson in Iraq. Nonstop. The soldier is 22 now. He got home end of last week, and he's in one piece. My friend is up there in age and started to let little stuff around the house go. It started to show. Grandson Danny has been back about 3 days, time to catch up on sleep and maybe shop for a few gifts and really party, right.

Wrong! I checked in on them today and Danny's cut the hedges and trees back and began painting the house. Senior Senior says he's so proud of that boy..... I didn't see a boy out there, I saw a MAN, and I would be just as proud. He's sacraficed more than enough but still has the spirt. He wasn't asked to do any of this, he just knows what's right. Sometimes you think society's in the dumper, but then you see stuff like that. Made my day. Or no, my year.

Danny Jr, you f****n rock like a true Marine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 05:23 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
Edvard
what a wonderful post, thank you for sharing it with us.
karla

Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Great post !! my hats off

Old 12-19-2006, 05:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Did you intend this post for this forum? I'll be others would be glad to see it.
Whatever your intention, congrats to Danny, a fine young man, and yes, that is a true illustration of the season.
All the best to you and yours.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:45 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,900 times
It is intended for here.

I see so many people screw up raising their kids. I see others once in a while do everything right and just end up with a bad apple. This is just nice to see. If he was home taking a break, GOD knows he deserved it. It was just a good thing to see, it's rare to see young people that actually value their parents or grandparents.

Send the Corps a kid, when they're done with him they'll send home a MAN. really though, Mom and Dad did it right and it shows.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Thumbs up A Soldiers Poem...

Great post with meaning!!! For all of you that have family members or friends deployed read the following:

A Soldiers Poem...

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
THEY LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF
PLASTER AND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY
WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
AND TO SEE JUST WHO
IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES
OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBER THOUGHT
CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
SILENT, ALONE,
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR
IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
NOT HOW I PICTURED
A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO
OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES
THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS
WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE
A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM
EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER
HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE
IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT
BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES
AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED
AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
"SANTA DON'T CRY,
THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS."

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER
AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
SO SILENT AND STILL
AND WE BOTH SHIVERED
FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE
ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR
SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
WHISPERED, "CARRY ON SANTA,
IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE."

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
"MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT,"

This poem is a reworked version from the original which was written by Lance Corporal James M. Schmidt stationed in Washington DC in 1986.

Throughout the years a request has been added to theses words.

Please share these heart warming words with your friends. The Christmas season is here and a great deal of credit is due to our U.S. service men and women for our being able to celebrate these festivities.

Thank You and Merry Christmas.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:31 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
I have an elderly friend who's been talking about his grandson in Iraq. Nonstop. The soldier is 22 now. He got home end of last week, and he's in one piece. My friend is up there in age and started to let little stuff around the house go. It started to show. Grandson Danny has been back about 3 days, time to catch up on sleep and maybe shop for a few gifts and really party, right.

Wrong! I checked in on them today and Danny's cut the hedges and trees back and began painting the house. Senior Senior says he's so proud of that boy..... I didn't see a boy out there, I saw a MAN, and I would be just as proud. He's sacraficed more than enough but still has the spirt. He wasn't asked to do any of this, he just knows what's right. Sometimes you think society's in the dumper, but then you see stuff like that. Made my day. Or no, my year.

This guy is kick ass!!!

Man, the military is a tough job, but people who return from duty are honorable and they deserve out utmost respect and considerations.

While greedy folks charged any and everyone for notarization, I have a personal policy of NEVER charging uniformed serviceman for notarization or translation!!

God bless our HONORABLE and awesome armed forces!! Merry Christmas to all of you!!

Chris

Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
Thank you for sharing this incredible tribute to this young man, his family and our armed forces. Wouldn't it be wonderful it things like this made the news!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:42 PM

49 posts, read 282,760 times
What a beautiful story reflecting the true meaning of the holidays!
Xerox offers a free service to acknowledge and support our troops:
http://www.letssaythanks.com. Fill out an online card and Xerox will mail a postcard to a service member for free.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post

This guy is kick ass!!!

Man, the military is a tough job, but people who return from duty are honorable and they deserve out utmost respect and considerations.

While greedy folks charged any and everyone for notarization, I have a personal policy of NEVER charging uniformed serviceman for notarization or translation!!

God bless our HONORABLE and awesome armed forces!! Merry Christmas to all of you!!

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics