Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,180 times

Advertisements

I am very curious as to the result of your dilemma, as I am a widowed mom with 3 children, 14, 12, and 10, who is considering the same. So... Were you crazy for doing or not doing this? Please expand, I'd love to hear your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I am planning to move to another state in a couple of months. Been researching the place for the last year, visited a couple of times. I am moving there without a job, but have enough savings to last me about a year. Of course I am hoping to get a job sooner than that.
My daughter is graduating high school and will go to college in the new state. Lately, everyone I talk to looks at me strange – they say it’s crazy to move to unknown place, with no friends or relatives there, alone without a husband, and leaving a good paying and steady job here with no prospects there. I am starting to doubt myself. Am I brave or just plain crazy? I would love to hear from anyone who moved alone and it worked out, or not…

What do you think of my situation? I am crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
I want to move out of pa..how do I do it..i have a good job here, but I want to live near the water.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,905,060 times
OK, where do you have in mind? What do you do? Do you have money saved? Dependents?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:03 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,337,256 times
They say you should have money saved to live off for at least six months when you move. In this economy, maybe more. If my health hadn't gone bad, I'd have stayed in the US and would have moved again and again. It's a big country and moving was my way of seeing it. Moving isn't that crazy. It may be crazy to those who are afraid to. To me, it's the best part of this life, to get some new air, new scenery, new people and if it doesn't turn out well, you can move again someday..
The internet is a great place to start. And if you can visit the place at the worst time of year(worst weather for that place) so much the better. Reading a local newspaper online tells you a lot too.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,337,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
I am planning to move to another state in a couple of months. Been researching the place for the last year, visited a couple of times. I am moving there without a job, but have enough savings to last me about a year. Of course I am hoping to get a job sooner than that.
My daughter is graduating high school and will go to college in the new state. Lately, everyone I talk to looks at me strange – they say it’s crazy to move to unknown place, with no friends or relatives there, alone without a husband, and leaving a good paying and steady job here with no prospects there. I am starting to doubt myself. Am I brave or just plain crazy? I would love to hear from anyone who moved alone and it worked out, or not…

What do you think of my situation? I am crazy?

Only your therapist knows the answer to this question, maybe.

Live your life how you want to live and don't worry with what others think.
Just be sure to admit your own mistake and don't blame anyone else if what you choose to do ends up being a mistake.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,790,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharme01 View Post
I want to move out of pa..how do I do it..i have a good job here, but I want to live near the water.
Look for available jobs in the place you'd like to live.

If there's a will there's a way --- and another thing to ask yourself "what would I do if I were not afraid" and then do it. Don't let unknown fears hold you back. You have one life to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics