Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 02:15 PM

14,330 posts, read 11,729,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
With small amounts of butter, a spoon spreads it more evenly. If your toast is the size of Oklahoma, a flat knife might be indicated.
I'll have to give it a try, because I can't imagine how a curved surface with a small point of contact would spread anything better than a flat surface with a large area of contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2021, 02:29 PM

23,607 posts, read 70,467,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'll have to give it a try, because I can't imagine how a curved surface with a small point of contact would spread anything better than a flat surface with a large area of contact.
I think you may be right on that and I overstated. Sorry. It may be that I'm just so used to the other that I find it easier - more with jellies and jams than butter. Something like this lives in my butter dish and never makes it to the table:

https://www.surlatable.com/sur-la-ta...O-3419389.html

Old 06-10-2021, 03:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 7,457,899 times
Quote:
Do you use butter knives regularly, or are they going the way of the pickle fork?
Just curious, how do you spread butter if you've shoved them all to the back of the drawer with the pickle forks?

I thought I used a butter knife today to retrieve some mayo out of a jar but upon reflection I used a fork. But I use the butter knife for butter, PB, jam, avocado, and all kinds of stuff.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:10 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,666 times
Quote:
Heh! You just reminded me of my mother. She was NOT a good cook by any stretch, but she had an old paring knife that she must have had as a kid. That thing was brutally sharp, with a blade about as thick as three razor blades. Over the years of peeling apples, she had worn it into a tourné. That was an amazing knife. She once gifted me with a serrated spreader knife. When I moved to Florida I finally figured out what it really was for - it is the perfect grapefruiter. A regular curved grapefruit knife twists in the hand, and cutting segments often requires a second knife. The serrated spreader takes two passes around the half fruit, but by squeezing the fruit slightly you can get almost all of the fruit without any pith. Then it cuts the segments like a dream, not piercing the rind.

My butter stays out as long as a week. I have never had it go rancid. (I know what rancid is, on a trip around the U.S. my brother and I brought a stick of butter into Death Valley. OH. MY.)

With small amounts of butter, a spoon spreads it more evenly. If your toast is the size of Oklahoma, a flat knife might be indicated.
Mom had an old CATTARAUGUS plain carbon steel blade black with age. She used that for everything except peeling fruit. I dont remember that CATTARAUGUS ever being dull. She had an old whetstone in junk drawer. It worked on the carbon steel, but you couldnt sharpen stainless with it. She would just occasionally buy a new stainless paring knife for peeling.

Old 06-10-2021, 03:51 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,953,506 times
What else would you use for spreading condiments, peanut butter and jelly, etc? I use butter knives every day - I am surprised to hear some people rarely use them.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,420,379 times
Probably on average once a day.

Old 06-10-2021, 04:55 PM

23,607 posts, read 70,467,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Just curious, how do you spread butter if you've shoved them all to the back of the drawer with the pickle forks?

I thought I used a butter knife today to retrieve some mayo out of a jar but upon reflection I used a fork. But I use the butter knife for butter, PB, jam, avocado, and all kinds of stuff.
The pickle forks are in the silverware cases and pie safe, where they gather dust. My butter is soft - very soft. A previous post shows a bamboo spreader. The toaster oven is next to the butter dish, so it is bread/muffin/waffle out of the oven onto a plate, slather the butter, done. The stove is to the left, so when a pan needs butter it is scoop, move to the left, plop. The spreader goes back in the butter boat.

YMMV

Old 06-10-2021, 06:38 PM

10,911 posts, read 7,410,954 times
I would have called that a table knife, since there are special butter knives.

I use table knives for most of my spreading needs--butter, mayonnaise, cream cheese--and also for cutting food at the table.

I do also have the special butter knives, which come out for parties and holidays.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:05 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
I had spreaders that came cheese spread as part of a gift set. They were ugly as sin. But for some reason my husband really liked them so we kept them. Along with the spreaders that we had that matched our stainless. After he died, I tossed them. And I do find that I use my butter spreaders frequently for cheese spreads. I like cheese. My regular knives they’re kind of big for that job.

Small plate with some crackers some cheese spread and a little knife to do it with had a little bit of fruit works perfectly for lunch.

I’m actually still using the Oneida stainless flatware that I bought during my engagement from the Betty Crocker catalog. So I have everything and it all matches. Serving spoons, sugar spoon, ice tea spoons, ice cream spoons, seafood forks… All bought on the thrift plan at a dollar apiece and a lot of Betty Crocker coupons. And it’s a very nice basic pattern. Patrick Henry.

Old 06-11-2021, 04:12 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A water-sealed butter dish (AKA butter bell) is overkill...

But for single people, people in extremely hot climates, people who are nervous about food safety, etc., a butter bell can be handy.
Yeah, single person in extreme hot climate. And a habit too. But you probably should know me better by now to assume that I am ever nervous about food safety...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I would never think of anything else to use, but a butter knife for spreading butter, peanut butter, mustard ect.. I always set the dinner table with a butter knife too, whether we need one or not.....unless we do need a steak knife.
My butter knife stays "attached" to the cup, so it's always there when needed. Also a habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics