Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What are your suggestions to cope up with energy/oil/gas global crisis?
Two suggestions.
1) Nuke OPEC
2) Force commodity traders to dump all of their oil stocks. That'll make gas prices drop to less than $2.00 a gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:38 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
The crisis will work itself out, higher prices will force people to find their own solutions to the problem, people will buy more fuel efficiant vehicles, cut back on their spendind and things will work out, life styles will change just as they always have. People will adapt, they always do.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:10 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
My dh and I have discussed golf carts for travel in our community only. Does anyone know what gas mileage golf carts get. He mentioned electric golf carts.

More public transportation will be necessary and probably will be used more now. Someone needs to get cracking with this one.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My dh and I have discussed golf carts for travel in our community only. Does anyone know what gas mileage golf carts get. He mentioned electric golf carts.

More public transportation will be necessary and probably will be used more now. Someone needs to get cracking with this one.
Most golf carts are electric.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:29 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I lived thru both of the gas crisis of the 1970's and I am very concerned if this one becomes that one. I do not want to wait in gas lines in the type of society we have in this country, in this day and age. I definitely do not want to deal with the gas rationing of the 70's, in this violent american society of today. My thoughts on this are the same as they were in 1974 and 1978 gas crisis. Americans need to accept or have it shoved down their throat if they can't accept reality. We are not the only ones on the planet that want gas, and we have no right to use the majority of the worlds oil. It doesn't make any difference if we are a car dependent huge country. We created that not the world. Public transit should have become a top priority in our large cities and metro areas and only a few cities did anything. If nothing else was done, at least efficient and extensive bus systems should have been in place. I do not for one second think, that all the people in this country are going to be able to handle these gas hikes. I am very concerned at where that lack of being able to afford the gas and everything else affected by it will lead to. My sugguestions beyond the transit is have some form of personal plan as what you will do, as the gas, food and everything else overwhelms many. Move closer to where you work if you can, take a bus if you can find one. Walk when you can, and combine as many trips into one when you do drive. Petition your polticians and city officials do address the lack of transit in so much of this country. Gas is $4.20 for unleaded regular in much of Portland, how long does anyone think it will take for the rest of the country to see this and then $5.00 and up.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 PM

21 posts, read 54,190 times
Besides recycling everything possible my husband and I bought an electric moped type scooter and use it for shopping, library, meetings, etc. We are in our late 60's and got tired of paying $200-$300 a month for gasoline.

Ireland has banned all plastic, start carrying canvas bags when you shop. No more bottled water. Many things we could do here in US.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times
a few things

give incentives for apartment complexes to install solar power. this could help millions

take all the subsidies we give to the big oil companies, and give it to MIT and Cal/GA Tech to come up with much better electric batteries. Have the US govt patent it, and let all car companies use it.

Encourage density/discourage sprawl.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Angry I'm on my soapbox ~ forgive me.

There is no “one” fix for the problem and there are many things that help to deal with this situation however it’s becoming VERY CLEAR that there are more people in corporations and government that seem to be lying to use and the world.

You hear the supply and demand comment. Then when they tell you that the nation is consuming less oil products you would think that with the demand down the price would come down. Didn’t happen.

They tell you that we have peek oil and that there is little left for the future so the price must go up. Yet you don’t see the government reduce the national speed limits to 55 in an effort to help conserve gas consumption on the highways. (They did this back in the 70’s – remember) to help when fuel was low in quantities. They also rationed gas at the pumps so you were forced to buy at 10 gal instead of filling up. They allowed cars to buy on an even or odd day based on their license plate number. You don’t see the government enacting any conservation methods! Why?

Automotive industry and the oil industry surely had intelligent knowledgeable management people working for them with a high quality of skill in knowing just where the markets, products, and needs of the consumers were going. However they continued to produce more inefficient gas consuming vehicles getting poor mileage over the years. This government administration when they took office even provided consumer incentives to buy large gas guzzling SUVs and trucks. Remember they offered tax breaks on buying those huge HUMMERS and Cadillac Escalades several years ago just after this administration took office. Now that was real helpful!

Then the oil industries want to drill offshore however the government has already provided something in the millions of acres for oil drilling and they haven’t drilled anything in those areas. The demarcates say drill in those areas first the republicans cry that they want to drill in water offshore. Who are you going to believe? There isn’t any truth coming from the government or the oil industry.

Alternative renewable free energy seems to be something that one party doesn’t want. Why? Is it because the oil industry will lose some money coming in, or the coal industry fears that they won’t be in demand as much?

Personally I am tired of corporations and government lies (both parties) taking money and kickbacks from the lobbyists of big business. This is a time in history that the middle and lower income poor class feels pain, and there isn’t anything being done to help them. Yeah ,,, if I had stock in Exxon I’d be happy my stock was up. However I’d be spending the profits of the stock back to them at the pump.

Remember Enron and the power outages a several years ago in California? Remember that Enron “controlled” the energy blackouts and manipulated the power to drive the cost of electricity UP. People lost their small business because they couldn’t keep the doors open due to the high costs of electricity and the blackouts in their area. Damn those who worked for Enron who knew these things were going on. Enron lies then are no different then the oil industry lies today.

Oh,,, and the speculators buying oil years before it’s pumped to help drive the prices even higher. Yeah,,,, these are speculators who want to profit at a time when the nation and the people can’t afford their tactics

The economy is in the toilet because of the government mismanaged issues in the past seven years causing the dollar to fall around the world. The value of a dollar dropping has lead to the euro being the currency of choice by the oil producing nations so you now spend more of your dollars to buy a barrel of oil. This should require a thank you to those in this administration who helped to reduce the value of a U.S. dollar.

Who are the real terrorists? We are fighting a man to man conventional war in Iraq, when the real war is that of the economic condition of this nation caused by those continue to push for higher fuel costs, devalue the American dollar, and turn the free world upside down. The real terrorists are those who chip away at this nation dollar by dollar destroying everything your grandparents, parents and you have worked so hard to build, those are who we should be fighting but while the Halliburton, HDR, Blackwater and others profiteering from a conventional war ~ things will not change.

People have lost their jobs, their homes, and their savings because of those things mentioned above. And many of these people have lost through no fault of their own, they are victims of this nations failures both government and corporations. When you look for the definition of Fascists Governments you’ll see first mentioned corporate controlled government. Has this nation become a Fascists one?

Some of you may remember when Jimmy Carter was in office and he had an energy program that was being put into place. He even had solar panels on the roof of the White House to start alternative energy at the government level. That was back in the 1980’s if my memory is correct. What happened? Ronal Reagan came into office and had them removed, discontinued the energy program. Then came George H. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Four presidents since Jimmy Carter ~ three republicans and one democratic and nothing had been done to improve the nation and it’s need for energy. Shame on all of them for the energy failures of the nation, shame on the CEO’s of the automotive industries for their failure to produce vehicles that were efficient, shame on the oil industries CEOs for their failures to produce safe affective refineries over the years and failures to drill in the millions of acres the government provided them with.

It all comes down to “greed” at those levels of management and government officials. They lied to you and I over the years and now you and I are paying for their greed and ineffectiveness to lead a corporation or the nation.

Sorry ,,,, I’m off my soapbox now, but I’m angry and mad as hell at them.

So what can you and I do personally to help with the energy problem ~ “stop listening to them!”

Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
They pee on your leg and then tell you it's raining.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,609,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
They pee on your leg and then tell you it's raining.
Judge Judy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics