Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 AM

57 posts, read 219,455 times

Advertisements

The words that get on my nerves are words spoken in slang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,004 times
Words that annoy me:

1. Any word with "ish" behind it (I'll be there around 2-ish to pick you up...What the hell does that suppose to mean?! So anywhere between 2-2:59??!! Like I'm really going to wait that damn long. Better give me a more specific time than "ish"!!!!)

2. The infamous F-word (I hear some people say "F this and F that" all the time. It seems to be their only vocabulary!!)

3. Allegedly (It's either true or not. It can't be in between).

4. Stripper/Exotic dancer ( I hate that term. There's nothing exotic about it and the word stripper is such a low way of calling them. I prefer Adult Entertainer or just topless dancer).

5. Weiner dog (The real name of the breed is a Dachsund. Not a weiner or anything).

Old 07-15-2008, 02:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times

H E L L O ???? http://clipart.edigg.com/1216118641/Music_Clipart/Musical_Symbols_Clipart/thumbs/t_Musical_Symbols022.gif (broken link)

I can't stand that sing-song expression implying the other person is a dunce.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:50 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,962,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Words that annoy me:

1. Any word with "ish" behind it (I'll be there around 2-ish to pick you up...What the hell does that suppose to mean?! So anywhere between 2-2:59??!! Like I'm really going to wait that damn long. Better give me a more specific time than "ish"!!!!)

2. The infamous F-word (I hear some people say "F this and F that" all the time. It seems to be their only vocabulary!!)

3. Allegedly (It's either true or not. It can't be in between).

4. Stripper/Exotic dancer ( I hate that term. There's nothing exotic about it and the word stripper is such a low way of calling them. I prefer Adult Entertainer or just topless dancer).

5. Weiner dog (The real name of the breed is a Dachsund. Not a weiner or anything).
I agree about -ish. that crap gets on my nerves. "let me pick you around noon......ish". It's like, what the hell is "ish" you know? and what gets me is when that person shows up at like 3:00

Old 07-15-2008, 06:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Anal..............As in "very particular"

Please, spare me

Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times
I hate Yiddish slang.

You know: schleppy, schlep, schmoe, kvetch

Old 04-07-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,046 times
Default The word "inappropriate".....yuk...

It's about time I found someone who hates the word "inappropriate." I agree wholeheartedly. It really is an ugly and irritating word that tries to sound more sophistocated than it really is. You'd be surprised how often this word is used (sometimes very repetitively), where it is used, and the types of people who use it.

It seems to be commonly used in formal settings, an adjective in response to something (such as an action, type of clothing, etc) considered not just "unsuitable" but also of an "indecent" and immoral" nature.

I hear the word used most often by professional people in their 40's, and most commonly used in certain professional settings. It seems to be favorite word in fields such as organizational psychology, human resources, career development and consulting, business management, or any administrative position (such as education). Thankfully, I'm in the engineering field, where the word doesn't seem to have quite as much relevance as other fields, though it does occassional pop up from time to time.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:22 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
"hey dude"...

Old 04-16-2009, 02:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,046 times
Default I hate the word "inappropriate"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
inappropriate
In response to DXIWEODWO:

I experienced hearing the word "inappropriate" quite frequently at certain times, in certain settings, by certain people.

For example: Just today, while I was taking care of buiness in the bank, I heard some lady say it 5 times in a row to describe her husbands behavior. Apparently her husband was using some vile and tasteless language in front of their son, and she told him to get lost (understandably). Nonetheless, this adjective sounds...irritating. I think it's one of the absolute worst words created in the english language.

I even wrote a post on page 8 about it. What is your take on this particular word.

What is it about this word that makes it so common these days?

Last edited by BUZZZZZER_1000; 04-16-2009 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: spelling checking, editing, etc

Old 04-16-2009, 04:26 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
"hey dude"...

Oh yes, even I have been called "dude" on occasion - by my kids! Usually it's the start of a story, and then they remember who they're talking to and shake their heads in confusion "Oh, I mean Mom"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics