Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 05:41 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Saturday !!

So of course I am curious to see if any one was inspired by yesterday ? and will be taking their bikes out of hiding this weekend

Now in discussing the biking,it also brought to mind other fun things we did as a child, so now that we have the biking covered, it is time to find out the subject of

Todays question:

Can you skate ?

This would include: roller,ice and even those scary in-line ones

Extra credit: When was the last time you skated?

Bonus question: Are their a pair of skates hiding in your house ?

Today in history:
May 17, 1620 1st merry-go-round seen at a fair (Philippapolis, Turkey)it was powered by horses
May 17,1792 - Twenty-four brokers sat down to fix rates on commissions on stocks and bonds. From that agreement came what has been known since as the New York Stock Exchange.
The original brokers’ meeting place was quite different from today’s noisy, crowded, high-energy floor. In bad weather, they met at a coffee house and when the day was sunny, the brokers sat under a buttonwood tree on Wall Street to conduct their business

Word of the day
:
atitudinarian \lat-uh-too-din-AIR-ee-un; -tyoo-\, adjective:
1. Having or expressing broad and tolerant views, especially in religious matters.
noun:
1. A person who is broad-minded and tolerant; one who displays freedom in thinking, especially in religious matters.

Today is :
National Cherry Cobbler Day
and
National Pack Rat Day
and because anything is possible in our ? world I am declaring
This is National Ride Your Motorcycle weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,375,580 times
Ok, all hail the pack rats.. lol

I used to roller skate as a young teen. I used to. We would go every friday,, parents would drop us off...

Now.. I don't think so.

When my kids were I guess 7 and 9 maybe? We went on a church outing to a roller rink. I used to skate soooo good, frontwards and backwards, all around, I mean really really good.

Hmm, figured, maybe its just like riding a bike.. I don't think so.

First time I hit the floor... was the last time I hit the floor, and that was final! Never again.

I ice skated once when I was younger, maybe 10.. did pretty good.... didn't fall, never inlined...

Now... hmm, can we go back to bike day?/

Old 05-17-2008, 06:08 AM

448 posts, read 1,050,377 times
I used to ice skate a lot as a kid. We used to flood a low spot in the yard each winter to make a rink. It had a big tree right in the middle. Used to roller skate every weekend. We talked about this in another thread. Whenever I hear the sone Dream Weaver I think of roller skating. I have roller bladed a bit too.
I will definately ride my motorcycle this weekend!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,026,956 times
Both my brother and I were really into roller skating as kids. My parents dropped us both off for lessons every Saturday, then after the lesson we would stay the rest of the afternoon and skate, then back on Sunday and skate some more. I really loved it, but I never was able to learn to do any kind of jumps. Started ice skating on ponds in upstate New York years later, and found that the transition from roller to ice was actually easy for me.

Much fun, but the last time I skated was on rollerblades about 5 years ago. I didn't find that to be as much fun as I expected.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:20 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Yes, I skate....like Bambi, on all fours! First hubby tried to cure me of my fear of falling one time, so he picked me up and dropped me on the ice. And he wonders why we're no longer married. :P

I'm from upstate NY, too, and we did ice skating. About 10 years ago, I wanted to try roller blading. I worked at a store at the time and we had a demonstration day for roller blades. The guy said he'd let me try them out. Well, we got all the equipment on me - helmet, pads, the whole 9 yards, put on the blades, stood me up (no easy task) and as soon as I stood up, I said, "OK, thanks. I don't think I want to do this." So he sat me back down and took all the stuff back off. Poor guy. That was the last time I ever put on a pair of skates.

Hey, Karla...didn't we have a Cherry CObbler Day recently???

Have a great day, everybody.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,118,547 times
National Pack Rat Day - now that one was created for me and my daughter Angela! I will celebrate by not being able to let go of some things I've already pack-ratted for ever, - I will sit them on my "never know when I'll need that" pile.

No, if God meant me to skate, I'da been born with wheels or knives attached to my feet.

The last time I did roller skate, I was 18, it was New Year's Eve, and this little punk skated up behind me and knocked me on my...you know what.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
I love to roller blade but haven't done it in years.

Give me a few hours at work this morning and I'll be ready for that cherry cobbler (with ice cream) by the time break tome comes.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:30 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Can you skate ?

roller skate, yes

This would include: roller,ice and even those scary in-line ones

my ex husband used to roller-disco!

Extra credit: When was the last time you skated?

about 1982... sign of grim age: I'd only do it again for the health benefits, not for the fun

Bonus question: Are their a pair of skates hiding in your house ?

if there are they're really well hidden and I'm not looking for them.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:37 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,047,583 times
Can you skate?

Can I skate? I'm happy I can walk. A fat man on wheels is about as graceful as an elephant walking through your vegetable garden. (Why do you think they call it "squash"?)

Trying to put me on a pair of skates is like trying to levitate a farmer over his donkey. Each of us is going to fall on our a$$!

I did try entering an ice skating contest once but the judge couldn't tell the difference between me and the Zamboni. During the competition, I fell on the ice numerous times and had so many bruise marks that they sent me to see the doctor. He couldn't do much, but he did offer me some ice.

OK, let me slide on outta here now. I hope everyone has a great day.

Charley

Old 05-17-2008, 07:06 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Wow it's been many, many years. Had the indoor skates w/pom-poms, the skirt, carrying case and would skate every Saturday at a church in the Bronx.

Outdoor roller skating-yes so much that my soles would tingle when removing skates. Big thing was to go down "Dead Man's Hill" and jump the landscape chains at the bottom. Never graduated to "Suiicide Hill". Always our skate key was an adornment around our necks.

Ice skate-could never master that my ankles would just cave in.

Skates in closet-not in many, many years.

Pass the cherry cobbler please.

Charley-thanks for the Sat. chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics