Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Should I feel bad that I actually want to give this guy a reward instead of a sentencing? If only my mail man were as much of a hero with junk mail delivery!

newsobserver.com | 'Mailman Steve' gets probation (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/story/1301068.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
public servants need to do their jobs.
who gets service and what kind of service is not their call.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Ironically, out here there was just an incident like that too. A mail lady who literally dumped bundles and bundles of mail out into the desert because 'she didnt want to deliver it'. This happened in Oak Hills just last week.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,299 times
Since I am a 'couponer' I look forward to my junk mail, because there are usually coupons inside!!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,977 times
I will attempt to weigh in and address this issue in a first class way: They should not stamp out junk mail, if I may Express my opinion for the business class.
It may not be a Priority but why go postal about it? Why push the envelope? This is not exactly a red letter day but there should be a standard. They have one in Manila.
I expect to take my licks since I want to stand up and deliver on this topic, and with confirmation, in a first rate way, but I'm really just thinking outside the box. And that's the tale of the tape all wrapped up. This is the bulk of my view. Hope it's not too fragile.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:18 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Somebody should hire that guy to stamp out spam mail... It's not fun checking your mailbox everyday and seeing a few cans of Spam in there... I don't even eat Spam!

Mailman Padgett did violate US Postal Service's policy and the sentence sounds fair to me.

As much as I hate that garbage mail, and I'm not talking about junk mail that was specifically addressed to you (I think that's 3rd class mail) I'm talking about those sales flyers the US Postal Service delivers 2 or 3 times a week, that tell you what's on sale at Kmart, or the grocery stores, that end up in the recycle bin. These really SHOULD NOT be classified as mail, and the US Postal Service should stop delivering them, and leave them at the post office for people to pick them up. If somebody wants them for the coupons or what not, then they can go to their post office and pick them up. Or they should leave them in a seperate box. The reason I want that is because there were a couple of times regular mail somehow got mixed in with that garbage, and I almost ended up throwing it in the recycle bin. That's why I check every one of those sales promotion flyers, especially after being out for a few days, and that garbage gets piled up in my mailbox.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:02 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Angry .

Should be able to “opt out” of junk mail,,,,, I tried to but the P.O manager said ,,, no.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:41 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilssson View Post
I will attempt to weigh in and address this issue in a first class way: They should not stamp out junk mail, if I may Express my opinion for the business class.
It may not be a Priority but why go postal about it? Why push the envelope? This is not exactly a red letter day but there should be a standard. They have one in Manila.
I expect to take my licks since I want to stand up and deliver on this topic, and with confirmation, in a first rate way, but I'm really just thinking outside the box. And that's the tale of the tape all wrapped up. This is the bulk of my view. Hope it's not too fragile.
You really are my sort of guy nilssson. I hope your wife makes keeping you happy her biggest priority.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
You really are my sort of guy nilssson. I hope your wife makes keeping you happy her biggest priority.
I'm a US male but my wife keeps tampering with me since it's her code to unzip.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:24 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Should be able to “opt out” of junk mail,,,,, I tried to but the P.O manager said ,,, no.
I guess you got PO'd after talking to the P.O. manager...

I'm with you on that one Aksarben, and to some point, you can opt out by calling the compay(ies) that send you the junk mail, and telling them to take your name off their mailing list.

Well, that worked to some extent, but unfortnately, your name and address information doesn't stay with just one company, because there are firms that sell such information to whoever wants it. That's why I'm very careful about giving my name and address information.

It would also make sense for these companies that send you the junk mail to have something in their computer system that determines if you responded after mail was sent to you 2 or 3 times, and if you didn't respond, then have the system stop generating the junk mail, and maybe they could save on mailing costs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics