Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Friday

Really early start with today's ?
Heading out this morning to see "herb the Tax Guy" so wanted to get this and the exercise thread posted early.

Hey I have a separate question to ask.

It seem that our number of posts has decreased since we first started a year ago. I was wondering if it might be because there are "too many" questions?
I do know that a lot of folks don't read long posts.
My thinking behind lots of questions was to try and have something for everyone to be able to answer.
However if the "too much to read" might be the issue I would have no problems going back to the 1 or 2 questions.
Be honest, it will not hurt my feelings a bit if a shorter "question field" would be preferred.
Remember this thread would not be here if it wasn't for all of you, so what you think counts !!
Thanks for your input and feedback
Now on to

Today's Question(s)

In honor of National Good Teen Day tell us

Were you a "Good Teen"
or
Did you give your parents more than a few "gray hairs"

Bonus Question:

What were your favorite comic books growing up ?

When was the last time you read a comic book ?

Extra Credit Question:

After reading the book or seeing the movie Jaws, how many of you "stayed out of the water" ?

Just For Fun Questions :

Spicy food yay or nay

Favorite Spicy Food ?

Today in History:

1866 - Mr. Everett Barney patented the all-metal screw clamp skate. Remember those? They would clamp on to the edges of the soles of shoes and you tightened them with a key.
1939 Comic strip "Superman" debuts
1920 18th Amendment, prohibition, goes into effect
1974 "Jaws" by Peter Benchley is published -Dummm dumm dummm dumm

Word of the Day:

laissez-faire \les-ey FAIR\, adjective:
1. the principle that business, industry, trade, etc. should operate with a minimum of regulation and interference by government
adjective:
1. maintaining the principle of letting people do as they please

Today is:
International Hot & Spicy Food Day
National Fig Newton Day
National Nothing Day
Apprentices Day
National Good Teen Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Fewer questions works for me.

Were you a "Good Teen"
or

I gave my parents grey hairs, though fewer than my youngest brother, who was far worse than I was.

Lois Lane

Maybe two months ago, I perused my giant-sized Conan the Barbarian (it's collectible, but not all that valuable)

After reading the book or seeing the movie Jaws, how many of you "stayed out of the water" ?
Not I

Spicy food yay or nay
YAY
Favorite Spicy Food ?
Just about anything Mexican--I love a good homemade guacamole and/or salsa.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,866 times
Good morning all..... 24 Below here this morning... just checking the wood stove and then back to bed..... today was the right amount of questions... or maybe a one or two less...

Today's Question(s
)

Were you a "Good Teen"
or
Did you give your parents more than a few "gray hairs" 6 boys were the cause of the gray hairs

What were your favorite comic books growing up ? Henry (less reading)

When was the last time you read a comic book ? many years

After reading the book or seeing the movie Jaws, how many of you "stayed out of the water" ? sorry never saw or read it...

Spicy food yay some what or nay

Favorite Spicy Food ?
buffalo wings

Today in History:

1866 - Mr. Everett Barney patented the all-metal screw clamp skate. Remember those? They would clamp on to the edges of the soles of shoes and you tightened them with a key.
1939 Comic strip "Superman" debuts
1920 18th Amendment, prohibition, goes into effect - I'll drink to that

Today is:
National Fig Newton Day - love them.... haven't had them in years
National Nothing Day
Apprentices Day
National Good Teen Day
National Put Your Tongue on a Metal Pipe Day

Keep smiling with a brrrrrrrr

Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Morning Karla and all.

Yes I was a good teen-was the oldest and was always told had to set an example!

Favorite comic-Veronica and Archie. Haven't read one in many,many years.

Never saw Jaws.

Spicy-yes!!!!

Pass the fig newtons please.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:23 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times

Were you a "Good Teen" I had my moments but was basically good.
or
Did you give your parents more than a few "gray hairs" Yes but they laugh about it now. Actually my dad kinda smirked at them then.....
Bonus Question:

What were your favorite comic books growing up ? Archies!! Still is!

When was the last time you read a comic book ? It was 1980 something.

Extra Credit Question:

After reading the book or seeing the movie Jaws, how many of you "stayed out of the water" ? Not me, of course I made my younger brother go in 1st.

Just For Fun Questions :

Spicy food yay or nay Yeah But tummy says to pick and choose.

Favorite Spicy Food ? I love Buffalo wings and thos jalopeno poppers.

Today in History:
1866 - Mr. Everett Barney patented the all-metal screw clamp skate. Remember those? They would clamp on to the edges of the soles of shoes and you tightened them with a key. I got a brand new pair of roller skates and you've go a brand new key! I'll be singing that all day now!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:15 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,275 times
* As far as # of questions, I'm sorta new to this thread & pop in when I can, so I'll be the good tourist & do whatever the Romans choose!

* I was the youngest of five & paid attention to what my siblings got away with...& what they didn't. It was a good advantage & I think kept me slightly on the "good teen" side of the fence!

* The Archie series was the only comic book I remember reading...oh & Mad Magazine (what, me worry?)

* Saw Jaws when it came out in theatres then had to wait probably 5 years or better before I got to test the ocean waters. The fear had passed by then.

* Mmmmm...Mexican food....mui delicioso!

* Yes, like Kali's GM, I too will now have the rollerskate song in my head all day, thank you very much!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,156 times

Today's Question(s)

Were you a "Good Teen"
or
My older sister and my brother were both honor roll students. I was a dishonor student. I hated school. Other than that I remained almost trouble free. I guess the fact that I was working when I was 12 limited the time I had to get in trouble.

Bonus Question:

See the answer above. They made me read in school I was not going to volunteer to read anything.

Extra Credit Question:

No sharks in the park district pool so I had no problem with water.

Just For Fun Questions :

Spicy food yay or nay

YAY

Favorite Spicy Food ?

Chili--If you don't sweat while you eat it, it's not hot enough.

Today in History:

1939 Comic strip "Superman" debuts America discovers OVERWEAR
1920 18th Amendment, prohibition, goes into effect

Word of the Day:

1. the principle that business, industry, trade, etc. should operate with a minimum of regulation and interference by government
adjective:

Today is:
National Fig Newton Day Your darn tootin we like Fig Newtons
National Nothing Day
Apprentices Day
National Good Teen Day Elect a 16 year old President, before they forget everything.[/quote]

Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Well I wasn't here a year ago so I wouldn't know. All I know is that I enjoy this thread and find it interesting as well with the facts.
maybe some of the folks are no long posting in CD? Just a thought.
Doesn't matter to me what everyone decides. I'm easy.

Were you a "Good Teen"
or
I have to say on a whole.....I was good. I think just having teens good or bad gives you gray hairs.

Bonus Question:

What were your favorite comic books growing up ? archie

When was the last time you read a comic book ? I was somewhere in my teens so that was eons ago

Extra Credit Question:

I'm not an ocean person. I like a pool where you can see what is in there.
We go to the beach but I sit at he edge of the water. Will not submerge myself.

Just For Fun Questions :

Spicy food yay or nay nay

Word of the Day:
adjective:

I think our economy has proven this is not a good thing.

Have the best day every!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,253 times

Were you a "Good Teen"
or
Well, my parents "thought" I was a good teen, until they found out I had my naughty little extracurricular activities, lol!

My little brother (6 yrs younger) just heard about some of my escapades, and felt a little cheated, saying the crap he thought he was pulling wasn't nearly exciting enough! I really laughed at that one.

Bonus Question:

I didn't really read comic books as far as I remember but I did read those little comics in the bubble gum, bazooka joe or whatever it was.

Hm. I did take a look at one at my mother's house a few weeks ago.

Extra Credit Question:

Not me. We hardly ever went to the actual beach, so it didn't have much of an impact.

Just For Fun Questions :

Spicy food yay or nay
A big YAY!
Favorite Spicy Food ?

First mexican then indian.

I am going Rollerskating tonight w/my son. OUr "date night". I have never heard the song now I will have to look it up.

Good day all!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
I don't think you ask too many questions. They're not always relevant to me, so sometimes I don't answer, but I don't think the number is excessive.

Today's Question(s)

Were you a "Good Teen"
or

This is a complex question. You see, I was fairly typical for a teen, and needed/wanted to rebel to establish my independence. At the same time, I was pretty insecure for a lot of reasons, and had a strong need for approval from others. So I developed what I still think was an elegant compromise.

My parents ranged between agnosticism and atheism, depending on what the question was and who asked it. Agnostic or atheist, though, they were adamantly opposed to any sort of churchgoing. Hence, the single best way for me to simultaneously infuriate them and delight nearly all the other adults that I knew was to join a church. I started attending the local Protestant church when I was about 14 and continued all through high school, to the frustration of both parents.

Of course, once I went off to college, I found even more effective ways to irritate my folks, and no longer felt the need to go to church. But it sure worked well while it lasted.

Bonus Question:

Never read one in my life.

Extra Credit Question:

Not applicable, did not see the movie or read the book (I'm a bookworm, but I prefer non-fiction).

Just For Fun Questions :

Spicy food yay or nay

Yes! Though I will admit that my spice tolerance has dropped since we moved from Texas back to the Midwest a decade ago.

Favorite Spicy Food ?
Most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics