Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,827 times

Advertisements

It seems lately I have been seeing a large number of young people, even kids way younger than smoking age walking around with a cigarette or cigar behind the ears like the 20 something I saw at CVS Pharmacy last night...a burnt Marlboro cigarette butt behind his right ear. Actually an employee at the CVS told him to please hide his cig butt since it is gross ( I agree !! ) however the customer made such a big scene about how he MUST have that cig behind his ear that CVS gave in.

OK I know, people do this so they can "save" whats left of the cigarette or cigar so they can smoke it later but after what I had seen yesterday at CVS kinda makes me wonder. Could this mean something other than "..so I can smoke it later"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
I'd prefer seeing that to someone wearing shorts attached to the the bottom of their underwear. I'm sure it's just a look at me I'm all grown up statement. Like a weird hairdo or other attention getter. Look at me..... Actually, the employee was out of line to tell him to remove an unlit cig from behind his ear.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Cigarette butts and underwear ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the dumbing down of America. Kids (teenagers) with fewer brain cells working than that of a bowl of jello are walking around everywhere. These are YOUR kids mom & dad; these are the products of your school system and your home environment. I don’t believe I could have attended public school much less leave the house looking like the kids of today. It’s not just a stage that they are going through, it’s what YOU allow them to do with their lives.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,179,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Cigarette butts and underwear ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the dumbing down of America. Kids (teenagers) with fewer brain cells working than that of a bowl of jello are walking around everywhere. These are YOUR kids mom & dad; these are the products of your school system and your home environment. I don’t believe I could have attended public school much less leave the house looking like the kids of today. It’s not just a stage that they are going through, it’s what YOU allow them to do with their lives.

Like Hello!!!! with flashing neon lights........

absolutely correct

Old 01-20-2010, 03:30 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I laugh when I see these young men (kids) with the pants down under and their butts showing. I wonder who they'll be working for in the future ~ they are our new young ceo or professional individuals?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
I laugh or snicker at them also...and I don't see a bright future there!! Don't you just want to reach out and hug a kid that says yes sir/mam ??

Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
Prolonged use of "wearing" a device behind the ear can cause a permanent bend of the cartilage.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
I haven't seen that yet. If your cigarettes are exposed here....someone will try to bum it from you or steal it.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:48 PM

24,450 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Might be a resurgence of a old fad. I remember people putting gigs. behind their ear in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Kinda like sticking a pencil behind your ear.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
James Dean, and Marlon Brando, did it best, don't ya think?

When I was still teaching HS, I used to tell the boys that if they knew where the fad of no belt, and pants hanging off the hind-end originated, they might refrain from copying it. When they wanted me to tell them, I required a note from home giving me permission -- likewise with a lot of the slang kids think nothing of using, including words like 'suck, dork. . .' . Required a note to explain those too but insisted they were most UNsavory for my classroom.

The HS finally had to have a dress code that covered no undergarments showing whatsoever. The girls were as bad, showing everything from the waist up, and what kids call a 'whale tail' with the top of a thong in sight. Some young ladies would get bad mad if you commented, like "hey, your undies don't match your bra," wanting to know w-h-y I was looking. LOL, are you kidding me?

I don't think I've seen the cigarette-thing around here yet, but I would surmise they are mimicking James Dean. The young-uns are big Dean, Marilyn Monroe, etc. fans -- especially young people before them who have been glamorized as living hard/dying young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics