Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,041,317 times

Advertisements

Whats the lowest amount of speed over the speed limit have you gone and you still got a ticket? Some say 5 over the speed limit you won't get a ticket. Even a ex cop himself told me that on the interstate you won't get pulled over for doing 10 over the limit. Are these tue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
In school zones 1 mile over the limit can get you a ticket. Freeways usually allowed are 10 miles over the limit. A lot depends if you're in redneck country or in a big city.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Lowest speeding ticket I ever got was 85 in a 55. Brand new Mustang 5.0 red in color. Nuff said...

Old 02-05-2009, 05:31 AM

709 posts, read 1,498,669 times
As an anarcho-capitalist, what I have a problem with aren't road rules (i.e. speed limits, etc) in of themselves, it's who owns the roads. In a free-market society, small local roads wouldn't change much (except even more local ownership by neighborhood associations and less state / federal involvement), but with what is now called county routes, states highways, and interstates private ownership and innovation would bring drastic changes.

People would still be fined / banned for bad behavior, as with any business, but remember that the road owner doesn't make a cent unless people choose to use his roads. Different road ownership and different rules does complicate things somewhat, but modern information technology (i.e. car navigation systems) will uncomplicate them. For long trips people will have a lot of choices regarding what roads to take, and various preferences can be programmed into the directions algorithm of the navigation system: cheap vs expensive, slow vs fast, strict vs anything goes, etc.

I think the market would lead to several "classes" of roads, including one for speed demons like me.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:00 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Whats the lowest amount of speed over the speed limit have you gone and you still got a ticket? Some say 5 over the speed limit you won't get a ticket. Even a ex cop himself told me that on the interstate you won't get pulled over for doing 10 over the limit. Are these tue?
5 in the city and 10 on the hwy is usually the norm.

Redneck areas(whatever the heck THOSE are) have nothing to do with it.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
In school zones 1 mile over the limit can get you a ticket. Freeways usually allowed are 10 miles over the limit. A lot depends if you're in redneck country or in a big city.
Yeah you're right,,,, one mile over in a school zone you can buy tickets to the Policeman's Ball. And don't forget "no passing" while in that zone!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I've been a granny driver my whole life. I hate to ride in a vehicle going too fast....maybe it's a motion sickness problem or something. Anyway, I have never gotten a speeding ticket and I've had a drivers license for 32 years. My kids and friends always laugh at me.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:33 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
In school zones 1 mile over the limit can get you a ticket.

I was in an accident once where a girl ran a stop light and broad-sided me at about 67 mph.... and she did it right in front of a school and didn't get one ticket. Not for running the light or for speed.

Oh... her excuse??? And this is a direct quote, as she kept screaming it at everyone on the accident scene: "I just looked down to get my coffee!"

Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I've been a granny driver my whole life. I hate to ride in a vehicle going too fast....maybe it's a motion sickness problem or something. Anyway, I have never gotten a speeding ticket and I've had a drivers license for 32 years. My kids and friends always laugh at me.
Glory be, GloryB! I have also never had a speeding ticket and have been driving for over 30 years! No moving violations at all, just a few parking tickets. I wouldn't call myself a "granny" driver, though. I just do speed-limit, drive defensively and alert-ly. My son is the same, and he's a teenager! He won't eat, chat on the cell phone, text or goof around when driving -- he's all business. Hubby, on the other hand...

Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Lowest speeding ticket I ever got was 85 in a 55. Brand new Mustang 5.0 red in color. Nuff said...
Bad, bad, bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics