Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:59 PM

35 posts, read 86,921 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I'm curious as to how many here feel that School Buses should have seat belts in them. I know that California, New York, New Jersey, Florida, & Louisiana have laws requiring seat belts in buses. Ohio is considering such a law & I'm in favor of Seat Belts on Buses also as I think that they would help in case of a collision or rollover. What are your thoughts about this? Take Care all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 03:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,905,197 times
Before you can have seatbelts that work you need children who will remain in their seats and use them. Also while talking about children in buses ~ Gilbert Az just had a big problem that made headlines allover the country with a student who caused a big enough problem that a fight broke out on board between the driver and students.

Right wrong or indifferent the students must be responsible and maintain a quiet controlled behavior on the bus first. If not, they jeopardize the safety of everyone.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

In the video the student wants off the bus. The public school bus isn’t providing transportation for students and dropping them off just anyplace that the student wants. The driver has a responsibility to pickup and return the students to and from the school and home only.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,207,193 times
no, they should not

Old 03-02-2008, 07:31 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,582,327 times
I think roll bars on all buses just might reduce some of the injuries when buses overturn. Just a thought. Had them in the stock cars that I raced many moons ago. Expensive for school buses, I bet yes.

Excellent comment, AksarbeN.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,496,623 times
I think they should provide them. No, they cannot make children use them or keep them on once the bus starts moving, but at this point there is no choice at all to use one. The school district should be held responsible if there was an accident and a child was injured/killed because the kids have no choice in whether to use one or not. These kids fly around like rags dolls when these buses have accidents. I know my children are so use to seat belts they would use them if they were provided.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,905,197 times
It might be nice if one of the parents of these kids volunteers to ride the school bus with them. The parent could monitor the kids maintain control and leave the driving to the bus operator who has enough to do with keeping it away from all the other traffic on the roads.

Did anyone see any statistics on this type of issue? Just wondering if lives and injuries would be reduced with or without them. I don’t think we have seatbelts on public or private buses anywhere in the country, much less school buses.

How about airbags too?

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
Yes, they should have them, and yes they can make them wear them.

Ever ridden on a roller coaster?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Yes, they should have them, and yes they can make them wear them.

Ever ridden on a roller coaster?
What does a roller coaster have to do with making sure 40 children from 5-18 have and keep their seat belts on?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:32 PM

Think about this. All cars are required to have seat belts and those seat belts have to meet certain standards. US states have seat belts laws where if you are caught driving your car not wearing a seat belt or anyone in that car is not wearing theirs you will be ticketed. Why on earth would there not be a law that ALL school buses would not be required to have seat belts? They are carrying our children! It makes no sense at all.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:23 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,131 times
I have never understood why school buses don't have seat belts. Yes a child can be made to buckle up on the bus and it should be mandatory. Several years ago we had a bus overturn and if you really think about it you have 30 or 40 kids thrown around everywhere especially little ones. If the kids had been buckled in they would have been hanging and not tossed about the bus. Our school district has some new buses but no seat belts in them at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics