Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:42 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times

Advertisements

I'm back from a long suspension on city-data, for making comments that offended people. Which In my opinion I didn't say anything harsh, my question is am I the only one who was suspended for a questionable comment which you didn't agree with? If so why? And that leads me to my next question, are we too sensitive as a society? And look for things to get offended about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
You don't know who reads the forums...You need to choose your words wisely.

What offends someone - might not offend another...

Old 04-30-2009, 05:48 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Yes,,, in IMHO I think that a larger number of people are not tolerant any longer with issues. They hear it on the radio, watch it on tv, read it in the newspaper, listen to it at their church and talk about things at the water cooler at work. People are stressed to the max about political, religious, moral values, crime, economy, world events, the continued war, and now their health is also threatened in the media.

Tolerance is very thin for too many Americans because of the past couple of decades just don’t seem to be what life was all about for them. Things have changed and they are angry inside. It has become an un-united America.

And if I’ve offended anyone ~ please give it a rest and think about things a little before you get upset. We all have our choices and beliefs without stepping on each other’s toes. We don't have to agree!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:19 PM

293 posts, read 893,641 times
Talking Hmmmmmmm

Yes I am very sensitive, I pour so much emotion to my posts and to see somebody question my logic and beliefs with harsh words hurts my feelings.

Please go easy on me!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM

342 posts, read 685,684 times
But what I don't understand is, I see someone basically talk down and our president and get away with it, while if I mis spell a word wrong the city-data police and taking me to jail like its really that serious. I look at it as its life no one is ever going to be on the same page and agree about everything, and if you disasgree with some one the wrong way your crucified. That's why I think we are too uptight and sensitive about everything, itys like dude I'm a grown human being and I can't form an opinion because jane doe might get mad pfft grow up!!! Its one thing if someone is just being stupid and just saying things. Esp on here I'm pretty sure I will be arrested by city data for this comment

Old 04-30-2009, 07:48 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,262 times
Well I been on here for about 1wk now and already have gotten SEVERAL WARNINGS as to what I have POSTED. I am VERY CAREFUL now to choose my WORDS CORRECTLY as where if I say something that I think is CUTE, FUNNY, NOT DISCRIMINATORY YOU on the other hand might think it is. I had a warning and COULDNT UNDERSTAND WHY????? then after I thought about it I realized SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT THINK DIFFERENTLY then I do and get their feelings hurt.

So yeah some people are more sensitive then others, what we think is OK they think is a HORRIBLE THING but we must SHOW RESPECT for ALL!!!!

Now let's show them what we got Raymondm

Talk to you soon,

Old 04-30-2009, 08:09 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondm View Post
I'm back from a long suspension on city-data, for making comments that offended people. Which In my opinion I didn't say anything harsh, my question is am I the only one who was suspended for a questionable comment which you didn't agree with? If so why? And that leads me to my next question, are we too sensitive as a society? And look for things to get offended about?
The truth is in this new world you only have to offend one person and they complain and all hell breaks loose. In the old days it took many many people to be offended and all to complain for all hell to break.

I remember just last summer a long time and well loved news man made the comment: Why is it all little people drive Cadillacs? Well one (just one) person called in the news station and complained and the station threw the guy off the air. What's wrong with this? That is not offensive. If I owned the news and one person called in to complain about that I would really give it to them good.

To answer your question.....yes society is too sensitive. Except white Christian males which is still ok to insult. Or is society not really senstitive but have other motives? Maybe many know as a so called minority they can speak up and say they were offended just so they can gain stronger minority status thereby getting more you know what from the govt.

But in the end what you are saying is solid as a rock proof that we do not have any freedom of speech in America in any media. There is so much truth I want to speak here but I can not. You can bet as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow this thread is being watched with a very large magnifying glass.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
OP, stop while you're ahead because your next go around might be getting banned. I think asking this question is going to put you on the MOD radar...........

Old 05-01-2009, 05:47 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
And if I’ve offended anyone ~ please give it a rest and think about things a little before you get upset. We all have our choices and beliefs without stepping on each other’s toes. We don't have to agree!
Great sentiments. I have been disagreed with many a time. Eh, shrug it off & go on. I like CD for the very fact that for the most part, we can express our opinions without too much fear of retribution. I've never posted on other sites, but have read some of the comments on them. Would make your toes curl; the vile language and ignorant rage against a complete stranger - downright scary.

It's a double-edge sword: in order for CD to continue as (IMO) one of the more "genteel" waters in which to cast your thoughts, they have to be tough
with their terms of service. Since they own the lake and I own the rod, I fish by their rules. I have rcvd. one infraction or warning - I didn't agree with it
at all, but like I said... eh ... <shrug>

Old 05-01-2009, 06:18 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
I agree.......some people need to grow feathers. I'm very carefull for I posted some things, CD friends called me up to remove. Not mods or CD police but people I would meet for lunch.
I remember one comment I got blasted for was about the attire of NASCAR or lack of a dental plan.
Boy did I get blasted for that. It may have been insensitive. But I do TRY and watch how I word things.
My problem is at time......I try to be funny and I guess some don't find me all that funny. LOL

As far as raymond.........I really don't know about your particular situation unless I read the post myself.
They don't usually suspend you that easily IMHO. So I would have to know the whole story. '
My advice is move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics