Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM

21 posts, read 159,711 times

Advertisements

So one of my dad's friends who lives in Beijing mailed him a bunch of research paper and a couple books way back in January. The stuff is not too terribly important but my dad would like to get it if its at all possible.

The tracking number provided by the shipping company shows that the package was held at the customs in San Fran in late January. The shipping company basically told us to wait it out. I am not sure why the custom people would be interested in a bunch of history papers and books.

Dad called the customs people in March and he was told that they don't track packages and just to wait it out.

And now its Mid-June, is the package officially "unrecoverable" now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,278,222 times
Sounds like you're getting the run around. Did the shipper fill out a customs declaration in China, and was it clearly attached to the package? Was the carrier bonded? What explanation do they have for Customs to have intercepted the package anyways? I don't believe US Customs doesn't track packages - you really should call again and ask to speak to a supervisor of whatever entity currently has your shipment. After all this time, it may be that the package was sent back to China.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,751,792 times
Default Make the call again!

Enough time has past that they should ship it to you or return it, but someone should be able to give you an answer at Customs and I'd not get off of the phone until I got one.

I'm sure that it wasn't shipped on a slow boat from China! The boat docked and the Customs should have completed getting it cleared by now.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,966,257 times
Something does not sound right here. I do not know what means was used to ship the package. However normally when something is shipped to the US it goes into a bonded warehouse operated by the carrier, or it's agent, that transported the package to the US. The carrier then notifies the consignee it has arrived. It is up to the consignee to contact customs to get it cleared. I am guessing you will have to contact the shipper that received the package from the friend in China and have them track it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics