Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:34 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,146 times

Advertisements

In honor of Karla's Thursday thread that turned into a discussion of 80s hair styles................

Those of us who graduated in the 80s have recently or will soon face our 20th or 25th High School Reunions.

Forty years old is a REALITY! (remember how we thought 40 was old??)

Our kids think cable TV and cell phones have always existed!

The music our kids listen to includes riffs from some of our favorite songs and artists including Queen, Led Zeppelin, Super Freak-------- and the kids don't believe this is our music.

Our favorite hair band guys are getting fat and bald.......

Lord HELP US ALL!

Here's how to tell if you're stuck in the 80s:

You've named your twin sons "Inky" and "Blinky".

You go to Wal-Mart to buy some new leg-warmers.

You search all over town for a 45 of that new "Flock of Seagulls" song.

You have to go see a chiropractor after injuring your neck trying out some new Breakdancing moves.

You call the MTV offices to find out what shift Nina Blackwood is working now.

Nobody laughs when you go into Wendy's and ask, "Where's the beef"?

You get mad when you go into a video arcade and can't find the "Asteroids" machine.

The fact that you can "get" three sides on the Rubiks Cube no longer impresses your friends.

You can watch the "We Are the World" video and name every artist.

You just can't get Windows95 to work right on your Commodore 64.

You think Toni Basil looks so cute in that cheerleaders outfit.

You think that Corey Hart looks so cute in his sunglasses.

You know deep down in your heart that Axel Foley would never pick up a transvestite prostitute.

You finally figure out how Macgyver made a bomb out of a box of uncooked lasagna and motor oil.

You stay home on Saturday nights hoping to see "The Love Boat" and "Fantasy Island". (The episode of Love Boat with Charo in it is your favorite.)

You think Michael Jackson is heterosexual.

You call your local mall to find out if Tiffany will be having a concert there anytime soon.

Your friends are tired of seeing you put a flowerpot on your head and yelling, "Whip it, whip it good"!

You still cry at the end of, "E.T.".

You wonder if the "material girl" really is a virgin.

You're still disappointed that Geraldo didn't find a dead body in Al Capones vault.

You think George Michael is heterosexual.

Every time you drive by a Tastee Freeze, you look for Diane sittin on Jacks lap with his hand between her knees.

A child asks you about the facts of life and you reply, "Well, you take the good, you take the bad, you take 'em both and there you have the facts of life".

You can't believe that Tootie is growing breasts!!

Your boss tells you to get a move on, and you snidely reply, "Kiss my grits"!

You have a weird sexual fantasy about Alanis Morrisette pouring green slime on your head.

You were able to get your MOPED up to 40 MPH today!

You can't find any new cartridges for your Atari.

You go to Pep-Boys trying to find a Flux-Capacitor for your new DeLorean.

Whenever you paint, you think to yourself, "Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off".

You think that the word "come" in the song "Relax" is a synonym for "proceed".

You sometimes have a hard time sleeping because you're worried that Mr. Roper will find out that Jack isn't REALLY gay and kick him out of the apartment.

Nobody is impressed when you show them how well you can moonwalk.

One day, in a staff meeting, you turn to your boss with a quizzical look on your face and say," Whatcha talkin 'bout, Willis"?

Whenever you hear, "Flashdance", you must put a chair in the middle of the room, beat it, and have someone dump water on you. Your co-workers are getting tired of this.

You still have the birth certificate for your first Cabbage Patch Doll.

You can't figure out why nobody else sees the true talent of the "New Kids on the Block".

You've been trying to follow Skip Stephensons career since the end of "Real People" without much luck.

Whenever faced with a tough decision, you ask yourself, "What would Ferris do in this situation"

You still don't realize that Tic-Tac-Toe is a winless game.

You want hair just like Goose.

You use the phrase, "gag me with a spoon", at least three times per day.

You keep hoping that Twisted Sister will make a comeback.

You think the Pet Shop Boys are heterosexual.

You write a letter to the Gap asking them why they no longer sell parachute pants, because you really need a new pair.

You buy a Swatch.

You go to Subway and try to order a vegemite sandwich.

Your co-workers know to hide the fruit when you start walking around the building saying, "wakka-wakka-wakka"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:39 PM

This was something a friend of mine sent me... some of these are more seventies related than eighties, but still fun none-the-less.

You Might Be A Child Of The 80's If...
...you know, by heart, the words to any "Weird" Al Yankovic song
...the Brady Bunch movie brought back cool memories
...you remember the first time "Space: Above and Beyond" aired - it was called "Battlestar Galactica"
...three words: "Atari" "IntelliVision" and "Coleco". Sound familiar?
...you remember the days that hooking your computer into your television wasn't an expensive option that required gadgets - it was the ONLY WAY to use your computer!
...you remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV
...you ever owned a pair of "Pop-Wheels" - that handy little combination of shoe and roller skate that lasted about a year on the open market
...a predominant color in your childhood photos is "plaid"
...you're pissed that you couldn't really participate in the 60's, pissed that you were a part of the 70's, think you wasted too much time doing stupid, meaningless things in the 80's, and still have no clue what the 90's are all about
...you see teenagers today wearing clothes that show up in those childhood photos, and they still look bad
...while in high school, you and all your friends discussed elaborate plans to get together again at the end of the century and play "1999" by Prince over and over again
...you remember when music that was labeled "alternative" really was
...one of the top five questions you've always wanted answered was to Robert Smith of the Cure - "What WAS that head on the door thing anyway?"
...you were shocked and horrified at the Challenger explosion (which you were probably watching in school at the time), and yet, when someone mentions the name "JFK", the first thing you think of is "Oliver Stone"
...you, yes you, sat down and memorized the entire lyric sheet to "It's the end of the world as we know it"
...you can't remember when the word "networking" didn't have a computer connotation to it as well
...you took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van. You rode in the back of the station wagon and you faced the cars behind you.
...you knew all the words to Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire", but it really didn't hold any meaning for you until about the third verse
...you've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phases:
"When I was younger"
"When I was your age"
"You know, back when..."
"Because I SAID so, that's why"
"Just can't (fill in the blank) like I used to"
...you can't remember a time when "going out for coffee" DIDN'T involve 49,000 selections to choose from
...Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language
...Kids that work in restaurants and supermarkets are starting to **** you off by calling you "sir" or "ma'am"
...you're starting to view getting carded to buy alcohol as a GOOD thing, and you're ready to marry the next person who cards you when you want to buy cigarettes.
...flashback: it was your first chance to vote in a presidential election, and you were SO disappointed because, just for laughs, you really wanted to vote for Gary Hart
...the first time you heard the candidates names, you were pumped because you thought MICHAEL Jackson was running for President, not this Jesse character.
...you ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video
...at one point during your teenage years, you walked with a noticeable tilt to one side due to the number of plastic rings on that arm
..."Celebration" by Kool & the Gang was one of the hot new songs when you first heard it at a school dance
...the first time you ever kissed someone at a dance fell during "Crazy for You" by Madonna
...there were at least three people in your school that voluntarily went by the names of "Skip" "Buffy" "Muffy" or "Dexter"
...you ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons
...you used to hold in your head the thought that all those gold chains on Mr. T actually looked kinda cool and the thought that Mr. T made millions seemed rational to you at the time
...you remember with pain the sad day when the Green Machine hit the streets and made your old big wheel quite obsolete
...the phrase "Where's the beef?" still doubles you over with laughter
...you read the "Hot Video Games Player's Secrets" guide for Mortal Kombat just so you could find the hidden screen, and play Pong again for old time's sake
...honestly remember when film critics raved that no movie could ever possibly get better special effects than those in the movie TRON.
...you ever had nightmares about the giant red evil robot Maximillian from the Disney movie "The Black Hole" and those blender attachments he had for hands
...you were convinced for years that Batman was a mildly overweight man with a moderate beer belly who wore his underwear outside of his clothes and talked strangely
...(girls) you thought Sean Cassidy was "dreamy", and lusted after "Ted, your ship's photographer" on the Love Boat, and Ponch and John from CHiPs
...you're still occasionally suffering flashbacks from your 21st birthday party
...you're starting to dread your 40th birthday
...you've ever said "I'm a vegetarian" and immediately had someone call you a hypocrite by saying "Nice leather jacket you have there...and gee, is that a suede bag...those shoes leather, too?"
...you're starting to believe that maybe 40 isn't so old after all, and it's those people over 50 you have to look out for
...you freaked out when you found that you now fall into the "36 - 44" age category on most questionnaires
...you have begun to lust after women (or men) that it would be socially inappropriate for you to date due to their age
...your hair, at some point in time in the 80's, became something which can only be described by the phrase "I was experimenting"
...you've ever shopped at a Banana Republic or Benetton, but not in the last five years, okay?
...you can't remember a time when "hitting the outlet stores" meant going to an electrical warehouse
...you're starting to believe (now that it wouldn't affect YOU) that maybe having the kids go to school year-round wouldn't be such a bad idea after all
...you're doing absolutely nothing with anything pertaining to your major degree
...you won't walk into the place where you once knew every bartender on a first name basis because "there's too many kids there"
...going to keg parties no longer involves hiding out in the woods when the cops show up
...you want to go out dancing, you really, REALLY do, but your back hurts, sorry
...you're starting to get that "why aren't you married yet" shpiel, not just from parents, but now from friends that are married
...you've recently horrified yourself by groaning as you get out of bed, not because of a hangover, but because it genuinely just hurt to do so
...you're finding that you just don't understand more than half the lingo used on MTV any more
...you ever wanted to be gagged with a spoon
...U2 is too "popular" and "mainstream" for you now
...you ever used the phrase "kiss mah grits" in conversation
...When someone mentions two consecutive days of the week, the Happy Days theme is stuck in your head for hours on end
...you remember trying to guess the episode of the Brady Bunch from the first scene.
...you spent endless nights dreaming about being the Bionic Woman or Wonder Woman or the Six Million Dollar Man
...you had ringside seats for Luke and Laura's wedding (on General Hospital)
...you remember "Hey, let's be careful out there"
...your parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes, anyway.
...you know who shot J.R.
...this rings a bell: "and my name, is Charlie. They work for me."

Old 12-07-2007, 05:43 PM

More 80s stuff..............

Fashion
You own a skinny tie and know where it is.
You wear a skinny tie from time to time.
You wear polo shirts.
You wear Izod polo shirts.
You have a duck tail/rat tail.
You wear freindship pins.
You give out friendship pins.
You wear clothes with "Ocean Pacific" labels clearly visable.
You wear Member's Only jackets.
You wear Kangaroo Shoes.
You wear a single glove like Michael Jackson.
You wear a Swatch .
You own something with ESPRIT clearly visable on it.
You wear Banana Republic shirts/shorts.
You rip slits into your jeans on purpose.
You have a mohawk.
You wear VANS sneakers.
You wear pastel colored clothing.
You wear sweatshirts like they did in "Flashdance" (ripped, or off one shoulder)
You wear those shirts/coats that zip (or fasten) in a diagonal way which then flop down to make a triangular shape on your chest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Music
You own a Milli Vanilli album.
You listen to Milli Vanilli.
You have a CD of the "New Kids" you listen to.
You refer to dance music as disco.
You're waiting for Depeche Mode to become popular.
You're waiting for Morrissey to cheer up.
You know the original line up of Duran Duran.
You still have a crush on Nick Rhodes.
You refer to Bruce Springsteen as "The Boss"
You still talk about wether or not the video for a song is any good.
You still prefer 12 inch mixes over CD singles.
You think Madonna's "Like A Virgin" would imply she was still "pure."
You eagerly await the next hit single from Menudo to come out any day now.
You still like "Thriller."
You miss "Captain EO" from DisneyWorld.
You call the guy who wrote "Little Red Corvette", Prince.
You know all the words to "Rio."
You own more than one album by either A Flock Of Seagulls, Toto or Mr. Mister.
You listen to a "Top 40 Countdown" every weekend.
You refer to albums as LP's and call music stores, record stores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fads
You own a Smurf figurine.
You also own a Smurf mushroom house for the Smurf figurines.
You have a stuffed animal on the window of your car.
You have a stuffed Garfield on the window of your car.
You talk like, you know, a Valley Girl from time to time.
You use the phrase "Yeah, That's The Ticket"
You use the word "DUDE" at all (and with a straight face).
You still say, "Well isn't that special?"
You have a pair of sunglasses with lights behind the lenses.
You play video games on an Atari 2600.
You argue as to wether Transformers are better than Go-bots.
You think "Where's the Beef?" is far better than "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up"
You have a Cabbage Patch Kid out in plain sight somewhere in your house.
You've never given up hope that you might someday solve a Rubik's Cube.
You think that people still breakdance to rap music.
You think wine from a box is as neat as sliced bread.
You own California Raisins merchandise.
You don't know that Spud's Mackenzie is a female dog.
You think you can get killed by mixing pop rocks and soda.
You own a BMX bike and still freestyle with it.

Like, You Know, The Stuff That Doesn't Like, Fit In Anywhere Else

You didn't know that Tiffany doesn't write her own songs.
You get your advice from Dr. Ruth.
You still cry when you watch E.T.
You think the only reason O.J. Simpson is famous is because of football.
You refer to Russia as the U.S.S.R. and think they're a bunch of commies.
You drive a Yugo.
You collect Garbage Pail Kids.
You still take your Flintstone vitamins.
You drive a DeLorean.
You play Laser Tag.
You like making Shrinky-Dinks.
You use a Trapper Keeper for homework assignments.
When you make a mistake you say, "...and now we know. And knowing is half the battle."
When someone calls for someone more than once in public, you start saying, "Bueller, Bueller, Bueller."
If someone says, "Who are you gonna call?" the first thing you say is "Ghostbusters."
You can still quote stupid things that Dan Quayle has said at one time.
You think skateboarding is rad.
You think that WWF wrestling isn't choreographed.
You still try to make your hair stand up as high as possible with tons of hairspray and mousse.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:16 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
You are doing this to me on purpose, aren't you? LOL

Old 12-07-2007, 06:25 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Grab your aqua net, your jordache jeans that zip up at the ankle with the bow on top the zipper, your fisnet shirt layered over 3 other shirts, your 30 black rubber bracelets, your legwarmers, and Karla, don't forget your headband were going back to the 80s!!! If you know all the words to these songs and who sings them you are officially STUCK IN THE 80s!! WOO HOO

A cloud appears above your head;
A beam of light comes shining down on you,
Shining down on you.
The cloud is moving nearer still.
Aurora borealis comes in view;
Aurora comes in view (OK, admit it, LADIES, y'all tried to imitate the hair)

Ah we can dance if we want to, we can
leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're are no friends of mine

In touch with the ground
I'm on the hunt I'm after you
Smell like I sound I'm lost in a crowd.
And I'm hungry like the wolf. (OOOHHH, Simon Lebon)

You are an obsession
You're my obsession
Who do you want me to be
To make you sleep with me

Candy on the beach, there's nothing better
But I like candy when it's wrapped in a sweater
Some day soon I'll make you mine,
Then I'll have candy all the time

99 red balloons
floating in the summer sky
Panic bells, its red alert
Theres something here
from somewhere else (well, at least we think we can sing this one!!! LOL)

Come on Eileen, oh I swear (what he means)
At this moment, you mean everything
With you in that dress my thoughts I confess
Verge on dirty
Ah come on Eileen

Oh Mickey, what a pity you don't understand
You take me by the heart when you take me by the hand
Oh Mickey, you're so pretty, can't you understand
It's guys like you Mickey
Oh, what you do Mickey, do Mickey
Don't break my heart, Mickey

Jessie is a friend
Yeah, I know he’s been a good friend of mine
But lately something’s changed that ain’t hard to define
Jessie’s got himself a girl and I wanna make her mine (OHHH, Remember he was Dr. Noah Drake on All My Children )

Der Kommisar (Ok, that's all we undertand in the song )

And what I believe to be the best ever song from the 1980's

Moving forward using all my breath
Making love to you was never second best
I saw the world thrashing all around your face
Never really knowing it was always mesh and lace

Too shy shy, hush hush, eye to eye

Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,442,494 times
Pirate girl, you sure have an extensive memory! I can say that I remember most of what is here. Once in awhile I'll watch Back to the 80's tv show to refresh my memory though. Thanks for the extensive posts.

Hey Mj, I liked both versions, English and German of 99 red ballons. dew dew dewt!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Not only can I sing the rest of all of those songs AND name the artists, but I can clearly see each of those videos in my head.............

I think it's time for a Mojito.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
Pirate girl, you sure have an extensive memory! I can say that I remember most of what is here. Once in awhile I'll watch Back to the 80's tv show to refresh my memory though. Thanks for the extensive posts.

Hey Mj, I liked both versions, English and German of 99 red ballons. dew dew dewt!

They were cut and pastes from e mails I've received from some of my childhood friends. Don't give me too much credit!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:37 PM

Did anyone see Duran Duran on the music awards a couple of weeks ago? The performed a song that was produced by ***GULP*** Justin Timberlake- can you believe that?????

Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Did anyone see Duran Duran on the music awards a couple of weeks ago? The performed a song that was produced by ***GULP*** Justin Timberlake- can you believe that?????
WHAAT, Justin Timberlake, AS - IF

That like totally Barfs me out!! Fer Shur

I mean Totally, Like Gag me With a Spoon

That is just Grody to the Max!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics