Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,437,818 times

Advertisements

What bugs me the most is any pain that hurts enough to stop me from working. Which really isn't much except for when I pull a muscle in my back from lifting the wrong way.
When that happens, the muscle swells up and presses against my ciatic nerve sending a sharp pain down the back of my left leg. Then I have to spend 3 days off work trying to reposition my leg to ease the pain. It feels like someone has ahold of the nerve with a pair of pliers and if I don't reposition my leg they pinch harder.

But usually I don't let pain bother me. I'm use to it, but my old age is catching up to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 04:35 PM

There was time in my early 30's when I started ignoring pain. I had a pain in my left shoulder, but I didn't let it stop me from doing anything. Time went on and it got alittle worse, but I just ignored the pain and kept on working. 6 months later the pain was so sharp my arm started turning numb and the muscle atrophied. So I finally went and had it checked out.
Come to find out, my left collar bone was crushed into pieces.
To this day, I have no idea how it happened

Old 07-29-2009, 04:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,553,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
There was time in my early 30's when I started ignoring pain. I had a pain in my left shoulder, but I didn't let it stop me from doing anything. Time went on and it got alittle worse, but I just ignored the pain and kept on working. 6 months later the pain was so sharp my arm started turning numb and the muscle atrophied. So I finally went and had it checked out.
Come to find out, my left collar bone was crushed into pieces.
To this day, I have no idea how it happened
Wow! That is strange! So, how was it fixed? Or was it....

Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Wow! That is strange! So, how was it fixed? Or was it....
They cut it open, cleaned out the pieces and sewed it shut. Now I have 1/2 collar bone, it's been over 20 years and it's never effected or restricted the use of my right arm.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
They cut it open, cleaned out the pieces and sewed it shut. Now I have 1/2 collar bone, it's been over 20 years and it's never effected or restricted the use of my right arm.
Oh, that's good...

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
For me it's back pain. I used to have a very good back when I was younger. I had a car wreck back in the 90's and a few other incidents where I may have possibly hurt my back but that's about it. I guess it's just my getting older because now it doesn't take much for me to hurt it (lifting things, bending a certain way, etc.). The worst part is that I never know when I'm going to hurt it again or how bad the pain will be.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
For me it's back pain. I used to have a very good back when I was younger. I had a car wreck back in the 90's and a few other incidents where I may have possibly hurt my back but that's about it. I guess it's just my getting older because now it doesn't take much for me to hurt it (lifting things, bending a certain way, etc.). The worst part is that I never know when I'm going to hurt it again or how bad the pain will be.
I agree, back pain can be very debilitating. I have had it a few times, from my arthritis. My husband has it very bad, and it has caused his legs to be numb.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Don't tell me that you've never been told to lift with legs, not your back.

I didn't learn until I was an adult.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,601 times
For me it headaches. Not all but sometimes I get one that makes me feel like my head is going to blow up. Can't function at all with that one.

Second would be the back pain.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,036,173 times
Quote:
Don't tell me that you've never been told to lift with legs, not your back.

I didn't learn until I was an adult.
I was trained by my employer on how to lift with my legs and not my back when I was in my early 20's (there was a lot of lifting in that job), and I've tried to do that fairly consistently since then. I hurt my back in that car wreck I had way back, but not very badly. The only other major incident I can think of was several years ago when I helped a friend move a sofa up a flight of stairs. I definitely hurt my back that day because I felt it right away. My back's never really been the same since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics