Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times

Advertisements

Did you ever start something and wonder why?

Why did I get started on this project and now I’m into more hours of work and money then I wanted to put out.

I started out with a simple add a new security door to the last door in the back of the house that didn’t have one. Good idea says Mrs Aks we need that new door installed. So I’m off to Homedepot buying a new security door and some minor hardware that I knew I’d need.

Next thing I knew, the door can’t be installed without first removing the old door molding around it, so that I can attach the new security doorframe. When I do this and remove the old molding, I find out that there isn’t enough lumber in the house (at that area) to attach the new security frame to. So,,,,,,,,

Off to the Homedepot again to buy more items to rebuild the house, I can’t just keep it simple I gotta buy more and more each time I see a new problem.

I’m back home and start again with the rebuilding job to make it secure enough to mount the new frame for the security door; that’s when I find out that the lumber I just bought and came home with was cut to the wrong size. Yep,,, I had to have some 2x4s ripped to a smaller size to fit into the area I was working in. Wrong size means I had to go back to the store and start over with another trip of getting lumber rip cut again to the correct size.

Now that I’ve got what I need, I notice that the drill bit I have (one of hundreds) is too short for drilling into the stud of the wall after I attach the new lumber. Back to Homedepot to get a longer drill bit. Who knew that I’d need one more drill bit?

Back home and starting the job again, I manage to finally get some actual work done. I’ve added the new stronger reinforced wood frame to the house and have it attached much better then I would have ever imagined. I did a great job and even managed to add calking in the areas that needed it. It’s now ready for painting!,,,,, ~ yep I gotta paint it before I can add the security door to it.

I’m now two days of work, and twice the amount of money I intended to spend and the door isn’t installed yet. I need another day to paint it before I can hang the new door.

Next time a “handyman” tells you that it’s cost you $100 ~ $150 to do the job plus the cost of material – pay the man and get the job done, it’s worth it.

Please tell me that you have some issue like this that you have had trouble with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,700,649 times
Quote:
Please tell me that you have some issue like this that you have had trouble with?
Yep....So hear what your saying AksarbeN.....
I need to let my dhb read your thread....he feels and thinks that he's the only man in the world this happens too!! This sure would encourage him by reading that this truly happens to others, not just him.......

He just dealt with the same scenario making (due to the fact the door opening is a odd size, couldn't find a door to fit) and installing a screen door to our back yard....

Yes, definitely always without a doubt seems that every time we do some type of project, handy work of some kind which we think it's going to take little money and time, no frustrations, stress never works out in that direction!!
Couple hundred $ more, days, and sanity later we're finished!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 08-22-2009 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,852,089 times
I have a few tiles missing in my bath/shower. I have taped a plastic over the missing area so I can still use my shower/bath. I keep looking at it thinking... I can fix that! But then the sanity mind kicks in and say... "ya sure you can but can you fix the whole wall? and fix the Little problems that come up? and how long will this little fix take when you haven't even finished painting the bathroom?"

Sanity mind keeps me out of too much trouble... but I still have a whole in my bathroom tile. Can't afford a Handy man yet.... and I sure ain't been dating any currently either.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,066 times
We have a saying in our family - "It's not really a fix-it job if you don't make at least three trips to the lumber yard/hardware store."

Old 08-22-2009, 07:39 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,966 times
Ha-ha! I guess it's a guy thing because my ex always had "projects" going on in the house. The garage is always crammed with crap, opps, it's not crap he says, it's his tools. He did manage to beautify our lawn at some point--it was the lushest, greenest in the whole street area.

Come to find out--he gets that from his daddy. He is just like his dad, always doing something with tools. His dad managed to build a good shed after years of working on it. He'd stop, then come back to it and so on.

Oh I'm getting off-topic here. As for myself, I'm an enthusiastic starter of projects and it always wanes or runs out of steam because I'm no longer interested. So yeah, I tend to do it too....I just have to push to make myself finish

Old 08-22-2009, 08:28 AM

656 posts, read 1,310,011 times
YES, bus driving school! i don't even like kids all that much he he

Old 08-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,898 times
Default Wonders never cease!!

oh I feel your pain for sure....
Just replaced the main door on the back of my home as well and I'm smiling now and not quite sure if its memories of the problems or happiness knowing its done

Doors for all intents and purposes come in standard sizes right.......yeah right. However the hole the builder(s) made for that door is at the discretion, compentency and capabilities of those individuals

Needless to say the standard size it appeared to be was a half inch shorter than the new one? but wait they don't come in those sizes
but this one sure did......so I had to take out the old plate get exact meaurements and make a new one.....ah yes and then the shimming process and making it square....well you know that fun I'm guessing. and yes all interior and exterior molding had to be removed
Im smiling here now looking at that door as I tell the story

Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 AM

320 posts, read 1,070,444 times
I will often walk into a room and then wonder why I went there in the first place......does that count??

Old 08-22-2009, 09:07 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,966 times
No

Yes

Ah what the heck...it half counts

Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Talking Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
I will often walk into a room and then wonder why I went there in the first place......does that count??
What room?

I wonder why you'd ever go into "that" room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics