Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Want To Upgrade My Home, I Turn to...
Lowe's 30 45.45%
Home Depot 11 16.67%
I Like Them Both Roughly the Same 17 25.76%
I Prefer to Shop at Mom-and-Pop Stores 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:36 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,099,197 times

Advertisements

Until about 5 or 6 years ago we shopped a lot more at Home Depot because they just seemed to have everything we wanted for our house, yard, etc. But boy, they have really come downhill in everything! Customer service, what little there is of it, stinks most of the time. Employees can't direct you to anything you're specifically looking for. If something is on sale and you can't find it and ask, they say, "did you bring the sale paper with you?" Routine stuff (like plumbing connections, things for the sprinkler system...) is not stocked. We frequently leave Home Depot and head straight for Ace Hardware and find it. Should just save ourselves some trouble!

But just in the past few days we now have a new Lowe's in our town -- well our town address, still about 12 miles from us! But hey, we'll drive there for anything significant. I truthfully haven't even been there yet and we have another one about the same distance, but lots more traffic to deal with. Most of our big purchases have been at Lowe's over the past 5-6 years -- roofing shingles and paper and nails and all except the labor to put on a new roof; new dishwasher and gas range and over the range microwave; a welder; and lots of other smaller items. Home Depot's loss, Lowe's gain.

Hey Scranton...if you work there part time, do you get a discount? Just thinkinig that may well be worth looking into!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,169,326 times
Nana. That's the big problem with Home Depot. There are just not enough sales people on the floor and it seems if you catch one, everybody else gangs up on him/her. Half the time, they can't help much anyway and you're still on your own. One time I was looking for bathroom things - toilet, shower door, etc. I found this one guy who was absolutely terrific. I still remember him because he was 1 in a million. It was also on a weekday.

I read a little article the other day on MSN from the CEO (I think) of HD. Apologizing and promising to do this and that to win customers confidence back (translate $$$$). This guy wants any negative comments sent to HIS email directly so he can PERSONALLY take care of the problem. Sure.....
They've been losing shares big time. I have to give them SOME credit though. I have noticed that my nearest HD has gotten a lot more sales associates and they seem to be more easily available and more helpful. Still, I prefer Lowe's.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:46 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,239,791 times
I voted Home Depot. I like their red clothing unforms better than the blue. Easier to find them for assistance.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,912,622 times
mom and pop hardware store and lumber yard for me

Old 05-09-2007, 01:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,099,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I read a little article the other day on MSN from the CEO (I think) of HD. Apologizing and promising to do this and that to win customers confidence back (translate $$$$). This guy wants any negative comments sent to HIS email directly so he can PERSONALLY take care of the problem. Sure.....
They've been losing shares big time. I have to give them SOME credit though. I have noticed that my nearest HD has gotten a lot more sales associates and they seem to be more easily available and more helpful. Still, I prefer Lowe's.

VP...I guess my previous emails didn't get to this guy since he wasn't there until recently, but they don't even acknowledge they hear from you -- or they didn't. We'll see if things improve. I thought part of it was just this store. Half the employees seem like they are angry just working there!

Old 05-09-2007, 01:59 PM

536 posts, read 1,194,137 times
i work at home depot (part time nights) so i will have to say lowes

Old 05-09-2007, 04:43 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,813 times
Mom and Pop vote here!

I just go to my local hardware store. If they don't have it, they can order it for me......and they know me by my first name.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,475,814 times
Location and selection.

I tend to shop all of the options, including mom and pops, just so I know who has what.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:12 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,302,233 times
I shop at both...they are both close by but I prefer the way I have been treated at Lowes, however if I can't find it at Lowes I do go to Home Depot...

A story in the news a year or so back gave me pause about Home Depot...a builder came into their lumber area with a client...he picked up a pencil (you know one of those that are strangely shaped that don't fit in a normal pencil sharpener that builders use) to make some notations about the lumber they were buying...the pencil was laying out on the counter, not in a package...he did this in front of a sales person...he walked out with the pencil in his pocket...Home Depot called the police and had him arrested for theft...of a pencil, not a product they were selling but a pencil that the men in the lumber department were using...all in front of this mans client...

Once management found out what happened, all the charges were dropped however, you can't unring a bell, the damage was already done.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
I voted Lowes because Im supporting local headquarter jobs but I hate both of them for the huge shelving non visual layouts I hate walking hunting for what I need.

I wish Lanier Hardware would make a come back they had low shelving and better displays and staff members always asking if you need anything sometimes I felt they ask to much to the point of stalking lol but it beats ringing some buzzer says "Ding Ding Help is needed in Lawn and Garden Center. Ding Ding Help is needed in Lawn and Garden center" urrgh ..hehe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics