Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When I Want To Upgrade My Home, I Turn to...
Lowe's 30 45.45%
Home Depot 11 16.67%
I Like Them Both Roughly the Same 17 25.76%
I Prefer to Shop at Mom-and-Pop Stores 8 12.12%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times

Advertisements

I voted Lowes. We watched a news report about Home depot. It scared us as home owners looking to renovate. We chose Lowes. And were very satisfied with our granite counter tops and cabinets. My best friend got burned from HD four years ago and filed a law suit. They renovated his bathroom for free from the settlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:06 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Hey Scranton...if you work there part time, do you get a discount? Just thinkinig that may well be worth looking into!
Yep, yep. I receive a 10% discount. That sure beats Home Depot, where I think the associate discount is 0%.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
My best friend got burned from HD four years ago and filed a law suit.
Ouch! How did they set him on fire! That's not a very good way to win over customers (although it would be a creative way to get rid of the occasional nasty curmudgeon that walks through our doors!)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I voted Lowes because Im supporting local headquarter jobs but I hate both of them for the huge shelving non visual layouts I hate walking hunting for what I need.

I wish Lanier Hardware would make a come back they had low shelving and better displays and staff members always asking if you need anything sometimes I felt they ask to much to the point of stalking lol but it beats ringing some buzzer says "Ding Ding Help is needed in Lawn and Garden Center. Ding Ding Help is needed in Lawn and Garden center" urrgh ..hehe

I actually hear that woman's voice in my head while trying to sleep on warm, sticky nights like this. "Customer assistance needed at the ladders", "Customer assistance needed at the fashion plumbing desk", "Customer assistance needed at the appliance desk." Then there's that annoying NBC-like "ding, ding, ding" when an associate hits the button and that woman chimes in again with "Ladders", "Fashion Plumbing Desk", and "Appliance desk" respectively! Oy vey! I think two years is too long of a tenure; I really should start to consider spreading my wings a bit and pester the Chamber of Commerce for an internship (I'm friends with the V.P., so that could be beneficial!)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I voted Home Depot. I like their red clothing unforms better than the blue. Easier to find them for assistance.
Actually, our vests are red. Thanks for noticing our lame attempts at starting a new nationwide fashion craze! (Sniffle, sniffle!)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
. There are just not enough sales people on the floor and it seems if you catch one, everybody else gangs up on him/her.
This happens to me as well on the weekends. I'll approach one couple to offer them my assistance, and then I'll turn around and have other customers licking their lips and ready to pounce on me like a piece of fresh meat at feeding time! YIKES! Also, in regards to the problem of the staff not being very knowledgeable, try to make an effort to ask people from the department that you are currently in about your project. I can't tell you how many times I've been putting price tags on arborvitaes and turning around to having people asking me about special order laminate flooring or if I could mix their paint for them! Would you go to Victoria's Secret and ask an associate to fix your flat tire? LOL! When it comes to anything besides the garden center I'm clueless; perhaps you likewise caught people who worked in different departments? I mean, I can tell you where just about anything inside the store is, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the other departments.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 05-09-2007 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM

90 posts, read 385,222 times
I voted for Lowes also. The home depot in town is terribly understaffed and the employees that are there are unfriendly and completly unknowledgable. The lumber selection is horrible and the store is just dirty and cluttered.

The final kicker for Home Depot is you can't find 1 lousey cart in that store that has 4 descent wheels on it. Every cart that store has either has the rear wheel that is bent under and won't turn or the front wheel the has the shimmey so bad you can't hardly steer the cart straight. And thats all after you've darn near walked over to Lowes to try and round up a Home Depot cart.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,939,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Ouch! How did they set him on fire! That's not a very good way to win over customers (although it would be a creative way to get rid of the occasional nasty curmudgeon that walks through our doors!)
They wanted their bathroom renovated. HD hired unlicenced sub-contractors. The tile work was shabby. Mold started around the bathroom walls where the tile work was laid. And to top it all off, they had a small leak that lead to weakening the floor boards in the closet of the bathroom. They are not finish with HD and their legal team. Their youngest has developed breathing problems. My best friend is crying out that the mold from the bathroom that accumulated for those months caused her condition. Their pending the decision from HD's legal team. They live in FLA.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
They wanted their bathroom renovated. HD hired unlicenced sub-contractors. The tile work was shabby. Mold started around the bathroom walls where the tile work was laid. And to top it all off, they had a small leak that lead to weakening the floor boards in the closet of the bathroom. They are not finish with HD and their legal team. Their youngest has developed breathing problems. My best friend is crying out that the mold from the bathroom that accumulated for those months caused her condition. Their pending the decision from HD's legal team. They live in FLA.
Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that! I was obviously being facetious in my other reply (I doubt a Home Depot sub-contractor would be pointing a blow torch at a homeowner!) Mold is a definite possibility to consider for respiratory ailments, and I hope they rake Home Depot over the coals for that!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:31 PM

536 posts, read 1,193,662 times
i am jealous scranton that u lowe's employees get a discount i get a whole 0% and a coffee mug at christmas time lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics