Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:57 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Advertisements

Would you/could you live next door to a cemetery ?

Would I, no, could I yes

Have you ever been to any really old or historic cemeteries ?
Yes, Arlington and Andersonville.

Bonus Question:

As mentioned before it is "turn back the clocks" time for most of us, so I have to ask

Will you turn them back
Before you go to bed tonight ?
I do the easy ones tonight.
The Super Chief gets the hard ones tomorrow, ha, ha.

When you get up tomorrow morning ?
The vehicles get done whenever.

Have you ever been late or early because you forgot it was time to change the clocks ?
Nope

Extra Credit Question:
Time to make you work

What year did the state you live in become a state ?

Did you know this or did you have to look it up ?
Guilty, had to look it up.

Just for Fun:

Who remembers the little UNICEF boxes you wold take trick or treating ?
Don't ever recall them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
[quote=Karla with a K;11422162]lol ok since you are all "chomping at the bit"
Now you can all save your spots while the QOTD is under construction
ok if we are all ready

Good morning everyone
Happy Saturday
Happy Halloweeeeeeen

Well today we say good-bye to October
Hopefully we will also be saying good-bye to the heat here in NE FL it is suppose to reach almost 90 today lol I guess we will be some of the few sitting out front handing out candy tonight in shorts & t-shirts

Ok so lets see how we can finish off the month in that "O so special way" that only we can with

Today's Question(s):
Inspired by some of the posts in Suncoast Guy's did you know

Would you/could you live next door to a cemetery ? No, I don't think it would be quiet. You'd have traffic from mourners and burials

Have you ever been to any really old or historic cemeteries ? Yes

Bonus Question:

As mentioned before it is "turn back the clocks" time for most of us, so I have to ask

Will you turn them back No, we are not clock turner backers in AZ

or

Have you ever been late or early because you forgot it was time to change the clocks ?

Extra Credit Question:
Time to make you work

Just for Fun:

Did you ever take one ?
[/b]
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

A TRIBUTE TO THE GREAT STATE OF NEVADA
.......where a simple road can take you to your dream destination.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	450px-Us_route_50_nevada.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	52069

Old 10-31-2009, 11:58 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Happy Halloween Karla & everyone else. Going to be sunny & 87 here today Back "home" they've been having snow flurries. Going to take my doggy out for a walk before it gets too hot. Have a great day all

Today's Question(s):

Would you/could you live next door to a cemetery ? Depends on if the property was a really good deal, and how much I liked the house. Otherwise, probably not!

Have you ever been to any really old or historic cemeteries ? I have been to Arlington National Cemetery. Love the east coast-need to do more exploring out there.

Bonus Question:

Will you turn them back
or
When you get up tomorrow morning ? This one-that way I'm not confused-I'll just refer to my cell phone.

Have you ever been late or early because you forgot it was time to change the clocks ? I don't think so, my cell also doubles as an alarm clock

Extra Credit Question:
Time to make you work

California became the 31st state September 9th, 1850.(according to WikiAnswers)

Just for Fun:

Who remembers the little UNICEF boxes you wold take trick or treating ? Never heard of 'em.

Did you ever take one ? N/A

Today in History:
834 - 1st All Hallows Eve (Halloween) observed to honor the saints
1864 - Nevada admitted as 36th state
1868 - Postmaster General Alexander Williams Randall approved a standard uniform for postal carriers.
1888 - John Boyd Dunlop patents pneumatic bicycle tire
1941 - Mount Rushmore is completed
2006 - Bob Barker, from The Price is Right, retires after 35 years as host

Word of the Day:
eke \EEK\ , transitive verb;
1. To gain or supplement with great effort or difficulty -- used with 'out'.
2. To increase or make last by being economical -- used with 'out'.

Today is:
National Candy Apple Day
Trick or Treat for UNICEF Day
Nevada Day Life isn't complete w/out a Vegas trip here & there.
Scare a Friend Day
Increase Your Psychic Powers Day
National Knock-knock Jokes Day[/quote]

Old 10-31-2009, 11:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Would you/could you live next door to a cemetery ?

We looked at a lot across the street from one. We would probably be living there except the owner wouldn't decide how much he wanted for it. We got tired of the games and looked elsewhere.

Have you ever been to any really old or historic cemeteries ?

Arlington National, and quite a few here looking for ancestors.

Bonus Question:

Will you turn them back
or

Probably a mix.

Have you ever been late or early because you forgot it was time to change the clocks ? Not that I remember.

Extra Credit Question:
Time to make you work

I'm making a guess, then looking it up....

Missed by two years. I thought 1848 and it was 1846.

Just for Fun:

Did you ever take one ? Yes I did. I also filled many March of Dimes cards. I was one of the Polio victims in the 1952 epidemic. As those who met me in JAX know, you can't tell. I was very, very lucky.

Today in History:
834 - 1st All Hallows Eve (Halloween) observed to honor the saints
1864 - Nevada admitted as 36th state
1868 - Postmaster General Alexander Williams Randall approved a standard uniform for postal carriers.
1888 - John Boyd Dunlop patents pneumatic bicycle tire
1941 - Mount Rushmore is completed
2006 - Bob Barker, from The Price is Right, retires after 35 years as host

Word of the Day:
eke \EEK\ , transitive verb;
1. To gain or supplement with great effort or difficulty -- used with 'out'.
2. To increase or make last by being economical -- used with 'out'.
3. A common crossword puzzle answer -- used with 'out'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babble

I missed yesterday. I was exhausted when I got home.

One of my clients does coin auctions about three times a year and yesterday was "get the catalogs printed" day. They printed the cover this time and I was told they would be done when I got there - not. So I'm pulling graphics of coins, removing the background, and resizing them to fit. The color was terrible so I also had to get that adjusted. All this in a graphics program I've never used. No stress there. The coin images were sent in an email to one of the employees that was supposed to do this, and they weren't even at work when I got there at 11:30! In the email was an explanation about adding lot numbers under the coins on the printed cover, which I missed because I was only interested in getting the covers done asap since the catalogs were expected to be done that afternoon!

I got the covers printed and all the pages to the printer, then I went to another client who had to buy a new PC, which had Windows 7 and Office 2007 on it. She has XP and Office 2003, and a slew of dictionary words and three (count 'em, three!) DOT files full of macros. And here we are going to Word 2007. In case you're wondering she does medical transcription.

We figured out where the DOT files went and had mixed results with getting the macros to work. The dictionary I'm having to research as the folder that holds it in 2003 doesn't exist in 2007 so I need to find out where the program looks for it. I'm also researching the possibility of combining the DOT files and all the macros.

Windows 7 is interesting. The short time I worked with it impressed me.

Today for all of you is Halloween. For Mrs. Tek and I it's the 40th anniversary of the night we met - at a Halloween party. Scary, huh? Keep in mind that she was born on Friday the 13th!!

Got a bunch of stuff for the cruise the last two days. Nice, compact backpacks that fold up into a small pouch, carrying cases for the cameras that will not leak to 9 feet (plenty deep for us), and are what I bought to hold the new camera for the XRail ride. I want to take a movie, but I know from seeing videos that it needs protection. I put the camera in one this morning and took a picture and it's very clear. Should work as intended.

Got one of those flexible camera tripods so we can take our own picture on this trip. Set Mrs. Tek up in the frame, set the timer, and run to get in! This thing even has a level on it so you can adjust it.

Today we are going over the "Do we have?" and "Take this!" lists to be sure we aren't missing anything. Then I have to do that research and get the auction catalog on the client's website. Dinner out tonight, maybe. Our Trick or Treat was last night (long, weird story) so no dodging children if we go out.

Yesterday it was really, really windy so most leaves are down. As soon as it dries out the leaves and grass will get mowed and mulched. Should be the last of the year unless it warms up again. Hopefully the firewood will dry out too, since I blew it the other day and didn't bring any in to the garage before the big rains came. We are wet! Farmers are not getting crops done. Not good.

Today is cool (about 50 degrees) but sunny, so we have the south windows open. Nice and toasty in here and the furnace isn't running. Ka ching.

Everyone have good weekend!

Old 10-31-2009, 12:27 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
[quote=Karla with a K;11422162]Happy Saturday
Happy Halloweeeeeeen

Today's Question(s):

Would you/could you live next door to a cemetery ? The cemetary residents wouldn't bother me. It would be the constant barrage of live people coming and going that would get on my last nerve. So NO would be my answer.

Have you ever been to any really old or historic cemeteries ? Yes.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been late or early because you forgot it was time to change the clocks ? Yes!! Late to open my business one year!!

Extra Credit Question:

What year did the state you live in become a state ? 1788. We were one of the original thirteen colonies and we became the 6th state.

Did you know this or did you have to look it up ? Knew the year and we were one of the 13 original colonies. Couldn't remember what number we were in the line up of states.

Just for Fun:

Did you ever take one ?

Old 10-31-2009, 12:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......WRONG!!!

Feb. 19 - Although Texas officially became a state on Dec. 29, 1845, the formal transfer of government does not take place until this date.
You cheated!! We earned our independence in 1836. Formalities etc.......

Old 10-31-2009, 12:59 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,463 times
Reminder: Some cemeteries are small and forgotten! That would be the catergory the one near my home is in. The town has a "right of way" to get to it.......across my lawn....but they don't use it. There are no visitors. )o= Many of the people buried in the cemetery share the same last name as the road we are on....the founders of the area. I actually feel honored to live next to them. So....some cemeteries actually don't devalue a home or make it a disruptive place to live. I have actually thought about maintaining it....but feel I may do more damage to the stones than the years have already done.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times
Quick answers.... before Emily wakes....

Today's Question(s):
Would you/could you live next door to a cemetery ? sure no problem

Have you ever been to any really old or historic cemeteries ? yes. enjoy looking around. There are several old one nearby and check them out to help out my family tree hobby

Bonus Question:

Will you turn them back
or

Have you ever been late or early because you forgot it was time to change the clocks ? no

Extra Credit Question:

What year did the state you live in become a state ? 1820

Just for Fun:

Who remembers the little UNICEF boxes you wold take trick or treating ? yes

Did you ever take one ? no

Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Carmac, I am with you on the Halloween thing. I do not care for anything about it! I am with you on Thanksgiving also. It is my favorite. I feel bad that it is being turned into "Turkey Day" !
Too bad every day isn't a day to give thanks, too many do not do that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics