Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Time is one of the most precious commodities we have. Money can be replaced, but not lost time.

We'd all love to spend more time with our pleasures, leisure activities, friends, family, and avoid all that which smacks of the mundane. We'd might all love to spend an extra hour on Cd.com some night, but the mundane is forever calling us, like a dirty bathroom, a dirty car, or a repair job of some kind.

So what short-cuts, time savers have you found that will enable you to squeeze more pleasure out of your time?

The hot summer is coming up. In May I'm planning a big holy mess in my kitchen using stockpots, the oven, with lots of plastic containers. A major cook-out, freeze it all, so I won't have to cook for the entire summer, unless I feel like it. Last year, I miscalculated, and ran out of freezer food in mid-August. That won't happen again!

I also have lesser cook-outs during the year, food to last me a month or so.
Real time-savers for me, along with a separate, huge, stand-up freezer. And you?

Last edited by tijlover; 02-02-2010 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
The only idea I came up with was to avoid checking in at City Data and spending time doing all those other things that are needed. However I gave that idea up real quick. LOL

However I do like some of your ideas!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The only idea I came up with was to avoid checking in at City Data and spending time doing all those other things that are needed. However I gave that idea up real quick. LOL
Same here

Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote tijlover: So what short-cuts, time savers have you found that will enable you to squeeze more pleasure out of your time?

I give my wife a squeeze to speed up things.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Add up the time you spend at red lights. In one year. No traffic coming from any direction, no police in sight, why sit there like a dummy, wasting precious time and gas?

Just don't do it when someone's behind you. You know! Follow the leader!

Two weeks ago, I was at a stoplight in town, an SUV took off, wasn't even paying attention, following the leader. I'm still scratching my head as to why this guy took off at a red light, with cross traffic. Could have been a real disaster.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I agree with wasted time at stop lights. I swear the people who regulate them here don't drive. There is one close to our house that is two minutes long. It doesn't matter if there is no traffic on the cross street it will not change.

I run it if no one is coming. Saves time. Saves gas. Always look both ways before crossing. And behind you just in case there's a cop back there!

I combine shopping and other to-do driving trips. I know most people do, but I get a bit fanatic about it. I'll put off doing something for a day or two if I know I'll be closer for an appointment then.

I also multi-task when working on client computers (like right now). I will have three or four computers set up and rotate through them as I install software, reformat, copy data, post on CD, etc. Saves me time and the client money. My clients appreciate it. Which reminds me I have to get that laptop out of the box and Windows 7 installed. I guess CD is going to have to wait for awhile. At least I did some posting.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I'm a firm believer of daily schedules. If I find I'm shorting out my personal fun time or time with God...I rearrange the schedule. It's amazing how much tv I have learned to live without by swapping that time for other things. The rest of the time, I just don't let things I can't control anyway aggravate me.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 PM

There’s only so much time in a day for doing things. If I can’t get everything done that is needed, I would always delegate chores or work duties to others in a way to get the maximum accomplished each day. Having others help with needed items can be very useful more often then not.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Add up the time you spend at red lights. In one year. No traffic coming from any direction, no police in sight, why sit there like a dummy, wasting precious time and gas?

Just don't do it when someone's behind you. You know! Follow the leader!

Two weeks ago, I was at a stoplight in town, an SUV took off, wasn't even paying attention, following the leader. I'm still scratching my head as to why this guy took off at a red light, with cross traffic. Could have been a real disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree with wasted time at stop lights. I swear the people who regulate them here don't drive. There is one close to our house that is two minutes long. It doesn't matter if there is no traffic on the cross street it will not change.

I run it if no one is coming. Saves time. Saves gas. Always look both ways before crossing. And behind you just in case there's a cop back there!
^^

My time squeezing tip is probably pretty obvious but I simply try to do my errands on my lunch hour rather than after work or week-ends. I even do limited grocery shopping at lunch. I'm able to put any perishables in our company refrigerator. No one minds and there's plenty of room for a few items here and there. This might not work for everyone but it helps me. I absolutely hate to run errands after work.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

I combine shopping and other to-do driving trips. I know most people do, but I get a bit fanatic about it. I'll put off doing something for a day or two if I know I'll be closer for an appointment then.

I also multi-task when working on client computers (like right now). I will have three or four computers set up and rotate through them as I install software, reformat, copy data, post on CD, etc. Saves me time and the client money. My clients appreciate it. Which reminds me I have to get that laptop out of the box and Windows 7 installed. I guess CD is going to have to wait for awhile. At least I did some posting.

LOL Traffic lights (Red) is a good time to do all the texting while driving that a person needs to get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics