Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM

135 posts, read 479,136 times

Advertisements

A friend is having a baby shower at her home hosted by several friends/acquaintances of all of ours. I was told the shower date by the mom a while ago, and the mom to be said that it was going to be a couple shower and that kids were invited. We live 3 hours away from the shower and all the hostesses knew we planned on returning for the celebration.

I talked to one of the hostesses last weekend and she said the invites were mailed out a week & half earlier. We still have not received our invite. My sister says to call the hostess and ask what is up. I feel that it is rude and presumptuous to call some one and ask “where is my invite?”. I do not want to put the hostess on the spot, embarrass her or me if it were decided that we were to be left off the guest list for some reason

To give you a little back ground, all the same women that are hosting this shower hosted a previous shower about a year ago for one of our other friends in this same circle (this shower was also held at the current pregnant mom’s house). It was also planned as a laid back BBQ couple shower. Well after we received our invite to that shower and after I purchased $70 in gifts, one week before the shower an e-mail was sent that the group had decided that children would not be welcomed, but those with kids could come after the shower for left overs and cocktails! Needless to say we did not go (could not get a sitter) but we did send the gifts.

My question is if the invite does not to come to this shower would you mail the gift or return it (I already purchased the gift)?

I am torn between it being the right thing to send a gift for someone’s happy occasion and being hurt & pissed off sending a gift when we have not received an official invite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
I don't think you are obligated to send a gift if you do not get an invitation. The responsibility for making sure you know you are invited is on them. You are right about it being rude to call to see if you were invited. I think you are off the hook on this one. I wouldn't take the gift back to the store until the shower has happened. They may give you a call. You may want to just keep the gift to save another shopping trip later if the gift is not personalized.

I went back and reread your post. This is your friend and she had mentioned the shower and date already. That is sort of an invitation, so you may call her. I wouldn't call anyone else.

What kind of people are these? People with children get the scraps! Wow! I wouldn't be too concerned about their feelings, they certainly are not too concerned about anyone else. I think they would have done better to have arranged group sitters for out of town guests. You are traveling 6 hours, the least they could do is make it a little easier on you.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:52 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,067 times
We recently had a baby shower for a cousin of mine. I knew I was invited but my invitation did not arrive. My mother mentioned it and before I knew it there was another invitation. May have gotten lost in the mail or even mistakenly not written.

I think they were a little rude to you saying kids were invited and then Not then afterwards.

I'd put the 70.00 back in your own pocket and if you still wish, after the baby is born send a little gift in the mail.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:05 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
First of all, I find it a bit odd that the mother to be is having the shower at her own home! That is a bit tacky.

It is also quite rude that their terms change and your children are not invited.

I would send a gift and just tell her, or write her, that you were unable to find a babysitter for the event and were unable to make it!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Do you like the mom-to-be? Send the gift. The heck with the hostess.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Osunshine, I would give the gift if the mom to be was a friend..
Speaking of baby showers..Last evening was the babyshower for my granddaughter in law..It was to be held at a nice shelter in the city park..We spent an hour decorating, assembling the food and placing the gifts and guess what...She goes into premature labor She is 31 weeks..Her h (one of my grands) grabs her up in his arms and runs to the car and rushes her on over to the hospital....I get upset and head to my car and trip and fall flat on my face (much to my embarrassment))..Anyway She is still in the hospital on meds to stop the contractions,,(baby has turned) we are praying that she will go full term..The baby is a healthy little boy thus far..Anyway we tore everything back down, brought the gifts to my house along with the huge sheet cake and some of the food for them when they are able to come home..

Old 09-27-2008, 08:54 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,844,780 times
Oh Blue-thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

I would probably just bite the bullet and send the gift and not bother to make an appearance.

Makes you wonder what's happened to etiquette and sense.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,740,067 times
Oh Blue............you take care of yourself and good wishes to the family.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times
Blue, best wishes to your grandson, his wife and baby. And to you, too. I hope your fall wasn't too serious.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 PM

135 posts, read 479,136 times
O My BLue! Prayers sent her way!

I also went into pre-mature labor at 30 weeks with my son and stayed I the hospital for 9 days, then went on strick bed rest until he was deilvered at 37 1/2 weeks.

Hope all goes well for her!

I learned today the lady has not mailed any invites to the shower yet, she lied! She is going to be cutting it close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics