Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM

896 posts, read 1,865,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I consider the modern pagan religions like Wicca and non-reconstructionist Druidry, which tend to be syncretic and eclectic, to be different from traditional, indigenous religions like Native American and pre-Christian European religions.

Dont know much about Celtic Paganism eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Dont know much about Celtic Paganism eh?
I do know that Celtic paganism is not Wicca. Also, I know that historically, Celtic pagans did not cobble together Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian ceremonial magic combined with crystals, tarot, and calling the four directions.

There is a difference between using the names of Celtic deities in made-up Druidic rites and actual Celtic Reconstructionism.

In other words, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_...onist_Paganism

not this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-druidism

I'm not saying that they don't both have validity, just that one is an attempt to reconstruct the worldview and religion of their pre-Christian Celtic ancestors, while the other is a New Age movement that relies on a lot of unverified personal gnosis.

To put it another way, while new age pagans may incorporate Celtic, Germanic, and Cherokee belief systems, those belief systems, on their own, are folk cultures, not New Age spirituality systems.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I do know that Celtic paganism is not Wicca. Also, I know that historically, Celtic pagans did not cobble together Qabbalistic and Rosicrucian ceremonial magic combined with crystals, tarot, and calling the four directions.

There is a difference between using the names of Celtic deities in made-up Druidic rites and actual Celtic Reconstructionism.

In other words, this: Celtic Reconstructionist Paganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

not this: Neo-Druidism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying that they don't both have validity, just that one is an attempt to reconstruct the worldview and religion of their pre-Christian Celtic ancestors, while the other is a New Age movement that relies on a lot of unverified personal gnosis.

To put it another way, while new age pagans may incorporate Celtic, Germanic, and Cherokee belief systems, those belief systems, on their own, are folk cultures, not New Age spirituality systems.

Your quoted website -v- someone that was born and bred a Pagan in Ireland and decended from who knows how many generations?

I often wonder why the internet is used rather that one's own learning/knowledge.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
Quote:
Your quoted website -v- someone that was born and bred a Pagan in Ireland and decended from who knows how many generations?

I often wonder why the internet is used rather that one's own learning/knowledge.
Let's not make this like the Christian and Atheist fighting that goes on in other threads. Lets show them that we are above that.

I am assuming that everyone here thinks that spirituality and religion are a personal thing, everyone experiences something different. So, I encourage you to share your knowledge about what you know. I would love to know more about your path.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
someone that was born and bred a Pagan in Ireland and decended from who knows how many generations?
Just because a cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Just because a cat has kittens in the oven, it doesn't make them biscuits.
I'm not decended from cats....

Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,943 times
So, I take it there aren't many people on here who are into these things.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:08 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm basically Green wicca with strong elements of native/basic nature over ceremony thrown in. I would love to see discussions about it. And yes we do have threads here and there.

But guess what? I don't come here since I have to wade through tons of Christian threads in the main board when they have their own. I'm sure there would be more people of non judeo christian faiths if there was a place to find them without all the wading.

maybe a Pagan subboard would help.
Yes, I would like a Pagan sub board too.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I have a niece who is also my spiritual daughter who is a high priestess in Wicca, I am Keetoowah, I am the Spiritual Elder of my family, which means I keep the ancient ways of my people The Jah-la-kee, otherwise known as the Cherokee. I have been passing on to my spiritual daughter the rituals and ceremonies of our people over the past 8 years so that when my time here comes to an end, she will become the next Spiritual Elder of her generation. She's a very good student and will continue the ancient ways of the Keetoowah.
That is wonderful, ptsum. She is blessed to have you for a teacher.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Oops. Sorry duplicate post.

Last edited by pnc66; 04-05-2011 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: duplicate post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism