Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,368 times

Advertisements

I am exploring a Pagan, possibly Wiccan, path. I am very excited about these huge changes taking place in my life, frankly they are way overdue. I do have many questions and one major one is in what way I should worship. I wanted to know if you have chosen a solitary path or if you belong to a group? What are your views and opinions on this subject? Thanks in advance for your time! Take care, ...lil red.................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I'm lucky that I have relatives that are involved with Paganism, so I grew up around it. I would look for a meetup group and ask if you can meet with a leader or elder to discuss your interest. As them if there are books you can read, or if you can participate in a meeting. They may not let you participate immediately, you may need to earn trust before they allow you in their circle. It will take time, and you will learn so much about the world around you. I've used much of my Pagan teachings to let go of guilt and suffering and really look inside myself for the good.

I'm excited for you You are about to embark on something great.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I do have many questions and one major one is in what way I should worship.
Why do you feel the need to 'worship'?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Why do you feel the need to 'worship'?
Worship may be incorrect terminology. I meant that I would enjoy the comeraderie and shared experience and guidance I would find if I were part of a like-minded group who performed rituals and dedications together. I seek communion with the divine and would like to give thanks to the God/Goddess. I would appreciate some guidance.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I'm lucky that I have relatives that are involved with Paganism, so I grew up around it. I would look for a meetup group and ask if you can meet with a leader or elder to discuss your interest. As them if there are books you can read, or if you can participate in a meeting. They may not let you participate immediately, you may need to earn trust before they allow you in their circle. It will take time, and you will learn so much about the world around you. I've used much of my Pagan teachings to let go of guilt and suffering and really look inside myself for the good.

I'm excited for you You are about to embark on something great.
Thank you, Jet for your continued support! It means a great deal to me as I embark on this new path. I'm sending you a DM, take care, ....lil red................

Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Nothing wrong with looking for fellowship.

Wiccans and Pagans are interesting, to say the least. I knew a few people that practiced when I was in the service. I used to ask them a lot of questions. Supposidly the women in my family practiced "witchcraft" so to speak, so I was interested in their beliefs.

I do know one thing, there are a lot of different type of Wicca. Some rely heavily on spells, and Majick, others not so much.

I'm interested to hear from those here who practice as well. Its been a while since I've talked to a practicioner.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,885 times
Quote:
I am exploring a Pagan, possibly Wiccan, path. I am very excited about these huge changes taking place in my life, frankly they are way overdue. I do have many questions and one major one is in what way I should worship. I wanted to know if you have chosen a solitary path or if you belong to a group? What are your views and opinions on this subject? Thanks in advance for your time! Take care, ...lil red.................
How nice of you to explore something that is considered taboo by a lot of people Personally, I don't know much about it, but feel free to give snippets every now and then as I'm still a bit fearful of it due to the fact that some of the deities have horns and you cast spells

As for practice, both my friends are Wiccan and they are solo practitioners. I recommend starting off solo and if you wish to practice as a bigger group, there should be internet forums with people who meets up in you area. Good luck

Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
I, many years ago, looked at the pagan religion, and the group I knew were not solitary. It was not the best fit for an introvert who was not much of a touchy feely type. I soon found they were just out of my comfort level. It was fun, and informative, and for tree huggers it looked like a good fit with the natural aspect of the faith, but this introvert did not like the rituals, nor all the touching and patting. I ended up taking my caldron home to make chili.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Worship may be incorrect terminology. I meant that I would enjoy the comeraderie and shared experience and guidance I would find if I were part of a like-minded group who performed rituals and dedications together. I seek communion with the divine and would like to give thanks to the God/Goddess. I would appreciate some guidance.
Oh! I was under the impression you were considering atheism...sorry!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:38 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,065 times
I think for some people, "worship" may be an expression of praise, gratitude, joy, not necessarily servitude by rote. For myself, I tend toward the Conrad Aiken style of worship/prayer, as in the poem "The Morning Song of Senlin" . It's the feeling I have when I get to see the pretty blue sky of Oregon scudded with little clouds in our valley or when I water my plants, pet the cats, walk the dog, talk or share a smile with strangers or tip the gas attendant. * I'm very lazy in my style of showing Nature my appreciation, however it's a very deep feeling *

Kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism