Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:07 PM

589 posts, read 331,671 times

Advertisements

[quote=Midgardian;42815903]I come from a Christian background. I have recently begun to question some of the tenants of my faith. but have not abandoned them completely. Specifically, I am wondering what happens to all the people who worshipped many gods before Jesus lived, died, and was resurrected. Also, since there are many people who have lived since and who do now who never did and may not hear the Gospel, what is their status if Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Life, and no one can know the Father except through Him?
Jesus accepts all who come to him and god speaks to all humans or people christian or not.

Understand, I am not rejecting my Christian faith, although if I talked this way among some of the people I hang around I would get an earful! I have been learning about the Teutonic and Norse gods, learning and reciting invocations and rites, and even offering some libations. This is all experimental because I am not with an organized group, am not entirely sure that I am doing things right, and I still attend church on Sundays.Hey thats the day of the sun Jesus created! But, Jesus doesnt ask people to go to church, only if they want.

In my studies I have learned that many pagan believers have a patron god who they invoke or honor each day. Is it possible for someone who will invoke Tyr, Odin, Thor, and Frey on their respective days, and who considers Odin to be the All Father, to simultaneously pray to the Lord Jesus Christ as a patron god?
NO they should either stick with their god gods or godess or become believers in christ. much better on the mind.

I understand that most Christians will say absolutely not, which is why I am asking pagans. If I am disrespecting the gods of the Aesir and Venir by holding on to Christianity than say so. If I can do that and still be a pagan I want to hear that opinion as well. Thanks!you may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 AM

194 posts, read 238,078 times
[quote=David in Christ;42877523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgardian View Post
I come from a Christian background. I have recently begun to question some of the tenants of my faith. but have not abandoned them completely. Specifically, I am wondering what happens to all the people who worshipped many gods before Jesus lived, died, and was resurrected. Also, since there are many people who have lived since and who do now who never did and may not hear the Gospel, what is their status if Jesus is the Way, the Truth, the Life, and no one can know the Father except through Him?
Jesus accepts all who come to him and god speaks to all humans or people christian or not.

Understand, I am not rejecting my Christian faith, although if I talked this way among some of the people I hang around I would get an earful! I have been learning about the Teutonic and Norse gods, learning and reciting invocations and rites, and even offering some libations. This is all experimental because I am not with an organized group, am not entirely sure that I am doing things right, and I still attend church on Sundays.Hey thats the day of the sun Jesus created! But, Jesus doesnt ask people to go to church, only if they want.

In my studies I have learned that many pagan believers have a patron god who they invoke or honor each day. Is it possible for someone who will invoke Tyr, Odin, Thor, and Frey on their respective days, and who considers Odin to be the All Father, to simultaneously pray to the Lord Jesus Christ as a patron god?
NO they should either stick with their god gods or godess or become believers in christ. much better on the mind.

I understand that most Christians will say absolutely not, which is why I am asking pagans. If I am disrespecting the gods of the Aesir and Venir by holding on to Christianity than say so. If I can do that and still be a pagan I want to hear that opinion as well. Thanks!you may be.
I'm curious why you are in this forum David? No one has to stick to anything... everyone can do as they please, and what they are comfortable with.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM

589 posts, read 331,671 times
they should stick to it because to worship dueling gods could kill em or give their mind an illness.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:09 PM

194 posts, read 238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Christ View Post
they should stick to it because to worship dueling gods could kill em or give their mind an illness.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:36 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I have met many practicing Christians, aside from myself, who do not see Christianity and Paganism as antithetical, but as complementary.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have met many practicing Christians, aside from myself, who do not see Christianity and Paganism as antithetical, but as complementary.

I guess it depends if said person believes in the God of the bible. The God of the bible says that's a no-no. If they don't believe in the biblical God then go for it.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:54 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I guess it depends if said person believes in the God of the bible. The God of the bible says that's a no-no. If they don't believe in the biblical God then go for it.
It depends on what the pagan beliefs are. If there are other deities being worshipped, then that doesn't square with Christianity. If it's other pagan practices such as observation of the seasons and acknowledgement of the sacredness of the natural world and those other creatures with whom we share the planet, then there is no conflict.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:38 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It depends on what the pagan beliefs are. If there are other deities being worshipped, then that doesn't square with Christianity.

Yes, exactly this is what I was trying to say. The Christian God doesn't share.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I don't get why any "God" worthy of the capital G would require worship. It would be complete unto itself.

ETA: Admiration, sure. Respect...duh! But worship? Somehow that does not compute.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:19 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't get why any "God" worthy of the capital G would require worship. It would be complete unto itself.

ETA: Admiration, sure. Respect...duh! But worship? Somehow that does not compute.
I think it's the humans who came up with the term, not any God or god or GOD necessarily requiring it. The word, Mr. Writer, sort of drums up images of people bowing down in front of something or making sacrifices and whatnot, but in reality it simply means to feel reverence for something that one deems as sacred.

Another definition is more along the lines of where you were going, with formal ceremony and the bowing and whatnot, a behavior rather than a feeling. Those behaviors are designed by people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism