Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeReeves View Post
I really don't know what it is. I am quite sure it is a "business", but don't know who, what or exactly where. What I do know, I learned from her proselytizing, after her first trip in April. I guess I should have just smiled and asked a lot more questions, then. Once I questioned the motivations of her "handlers" (my word, not theirs), she stopped talking. I did talk to my son-in-law, who spent the last 3 weeks with them, there. I asked if he was a convert, and he said, while he saw some value to some of it, he found other parts to be a bit hokey. He also said he would not be going back in August and October, but I think, lacks the backbone to tell her she can't go and take the kids. I told him, if he decided to put a stop to it, I would back him 100%, even if it meant helping him get custody of the kids. He said he appreciated that, but he didn't think it would come to that. Always, before, her obsessions last for awhile and she found something else to be obsessed about. I can only hope she does, and that the next one isn't worse!!
Whatever you do don't let her start to weave Macrame. That stuff is the worst!

All kidding aside, talk to your daughter peacefully. Say to her that you spoke to soon before, and that she is more important to you than anything else. Tell her that you would like to go with her to her next conference, so you can see it for yourself without passing judgement. Once you have determined what it is you can determine what to do.

And hey, if you do believe that God created the Universe, like you said, you can try sending a prayer His way. Maybe He has a miracle up His sleeve for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sounds like profile of an occult group. lil red flags here and there.
they do prey on the weak. no pun intended.
i will spare you my own horror stories regarding such groups but suffice to say
your instincts are good keep listening to them.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 24,816 times
My daughter finally called, today, and I managed to keep my scepticism and concern under control so that I was able to learn something about it. It is not a local cult but, apparently, is worldwide. It is called the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. Their website is Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment where the incredible becomes credible in 4 days of your life.. Wikipedia's info is also enlightening - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramtha. I now know, maybe, more than I ever really wanted to know. The founder is:
Judy Zebra Knight (born Judith Darlene Hampton on March 16, 1946, in Roswell, NM) is a self-proclaimed channel as well as the CEO of JZK, Inc., parent company of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment. Knight says that on February 7, 1977, an entity called Ramtha, The Enlightened One, appeared to her and her husband in the kitchen of her Tacoma, Washington trailer. Knight says that since then, she has been able to channel Ramtha by going through a process of leaving her body, allowing Ramtha to teach through her.
JZ Knight has been involved in several court disputes, some personal (her divorce from Jeff Knight) and others business-related, for example, one involving the dissemination of material containing the copyrighted Ramtha. [2] In Knight vs. Knight, 1992-1995, Jeff Knight alleges that he lost years of his life by postponing modern medical treatment for his HIV infection, due to advice from his wife that Ramtha could heal him — he died before he could appeal the court's decision against him.[3] Another case, in Austria, involved a Berlin woman who also claimed to channel Ramtha. The Austrian Supreme court decided that JZ Knight was the only person with the sole trademark and copyright license for the name Ramtha and its associated teachings.
Now that I know all this, there is really NOTHING I can do about it. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
My daughter finally called, today, and I managed to keep my scepticism and concern under control so that I was able to learn something about it. It is not a local cult but, apparently, is worldwide. It is called the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. Their website is Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment where the incredible becomes credible in 4 days of your life.. Wikipedia's info is also enlightening - JZ Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I now know, maybe, more than I ever really wanted to know. The founder is:
Judy Zebra Knight (born Judith Darlene Hampton on March 16, 1946, in Roswell, NM) is a self-proclaimed channel as well as the CEO of JZK, Inc., parent company of Ramtha's School of Enlightenment. Knight says that on February 7, 1977, an entity called Ramtha, The Enlightened One, appeared to her and her husband in the kitchen of her Tacoma, Washington trailer. Knight says that since then, she has been able to channel Ramtha by going through a process of leaving her body, allowing Ramtha to teach through her.
JZ Knight has been involved in several court disputes, some personal (her divorce from Jeff Knight) and others business-related, for example, one involving the dissemination of material containing the copyrighted Ramtha. [2] In Knight vs. Knight, 1992-1995, Jeff Knight alleges that he lost years of his life by postponing modern medical treatment for his HIV infection, due to advice from his wife that Ramtha could heal him — he died before he could appeal the court's decision against him.[3] Another case, in Austria, involved a Berlin woman who also claimed to channel Ramtha. The Austrian Supreme court decided that JZ Knight was the only person with the sole trademark and copyright license for the name Ramtha and its associated teachings.
Now that I know all this, there is really NOTHING I can do about it. Thanks to all for your input.

Just another money making gimmick! Well just keep in touch with her..listen to her without passing judgement. Ask questions like you are interested...this will keep you in the loop. Hopefully she or hubby will figure it out before their bank account empties out

Old 07-09-2008, 04:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Wow, do you really believe that? The comment about her being a breeder of grandchildren for me was really rather cruel and completely unecessary, and if you knew our history (mine and my daughters) you would probably think twice about it. We have been very close, she has always come to me for help and support and I have always been there. Even in this case, I would not have said a word except that her current decisions are detrimental to her children, my grandchildren. For the first time in her 41 years of life, I am disagreeing with something she is doing. How does that make her a breeder of my grandchildren.

My comments were not directed at that at all. Believe me, I am also an aging hippie (surfer actually) and I fully believe that we each have a right to live our own lives...as long as we are not causing harm to anyone else (especially kids or other defenseless people). The OP was about concerns for his daughter's choices in regards to her religious following and I fully agree that she has every right to follow her own desire in that area. Absolutely! But...if it involves taking small children into that scenario it needs to be looked at very carefully to make sure that is a wise decision for the kids.
When you started off saying the day she gave birth she lost her rights as an individual, it sounded as if you were only interested in her children. She has her rights to be her own person. It wasn’t intended to be cruel, but your daughter is an adult and can live as she chooses. Parents don’t own their kids; they can advise or guide and that’s it.

Did not mean to offend.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
Joe, at least you found out something about this group, I've heard of them, this woman is a real piece of work.
A master will not charge for "enlightenment", so when someone says "you to can be enlightened" for 19.95, buyer beware.
I also find it strange on how one can copyright a "spiritual being", doesn't this spiritual being have the ability to channel to anyone it chooses.

This country having the religious freedoms we all enjoy breeds these type of people, and these people are not just in the "new age" movement you find them in all religion belief systems.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
I did not say she lost her rights as an individual...I said she lost her right to live her life as she pleases. After I had my children I may have "pleased" to join a circus or take off across country in a VW bus or follow the surfing sun around the world, but I did not. I had children and my first duty was to be sure the life I chose was beneficial to them first & foremost. Once those kids were grown they had every right to life as they chose...UNTIL they brought kids of their own into the picture. It's a big responsibility.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:06 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
I'm usaually very skeptical of shadows, and secrecy.

Light and honesty, make me comfortable.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,977 times
Quote:
My daughter finally called, today, and I managed to keep my scepticism and concern under control so that I was able to learn something about it. It is not a local cult but, apparently, is worldwide. It is called the Ramtha School of Enlightenment. Their website is Ramtha’s School of Enlightenment where the incredible becomes credible in 4 days of your life.. Wikipedia's info is also enlightening - JZ Knight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. I now know, maybe, more than I ever really wanted to know. The founder is:
Oh, her .... it's not a cult in the way you may have been fearing and yeah, it's largely about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
And hopefully your daughter won't lose too much of it and will learn some valuable life lessons in the process of hanging out and supporting a new age parasite.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 24,816 times
Maybe she is just a high profile con artist, who may, or may not, believe her own BS, but my daughter's obsessive nature seems to have made into something closer to my definition of a cult. As a previous poster pointed out, she is an adult, and fully entitled to be as stupid as she cares to be, but if she is only responsible to herself, who is responsible for her minor children, who she is getting involved at a very impressionable age? At this point I know there is NOTHING I can do where she is concerned, but sure wish there was some way to keep the kids from going down with her. I'm afraid the only hope for that is for my son-in-law, who is not hooked, to get a backbone - - - - -.

PS: The more I find on the web, with counter sites and recovering Ramthaholics sites, the more I am concerned for my grandchildren. I can't see much difference in her indoctrinating them into this thing, than in giving them drugs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism