Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:54 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
That may be the case but it came out sounding rude. No ! or or or .......
so, who knows!

I like your pea pod analogy! I feel the same way!
That's it, girl......
I think...ahem...KNOW, that I am a "cool" mom...but, even I have my limits.
So, yes, I gave mine a spanking, if need be.
He's still alive and well, loves me to death....
Now I would have a problem spanking him....LOL...he is towering over me...huh...(he's 17!) LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Well, with spanking, any parent who does it needs to remember that it isn't necessary to make it hurt or cause any pain whatsoever. It's the point of the act that the child will most certainly understand.

I was spanked as a child and actually remember the day I realized, 'Hey, why am I crying??? This doesn't even hurt???'.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,555 times
Why would anyone one hit something smaller than themselves is beyond me. You teach a child to hit and they hit. Would you kick a little dog?
Canada probably knows that spanking often gets out of hand and has been proven to do no good as a discipline tool.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
. Would you kick a little dog?
If it bit me first??? You bet I would....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59
Canada probably knows that spanking often gets out of hand and has been proven to do no good as a discipline tool.
For every study of this sort you show me, I can show you one that says that when used appropriately spanking can be a useful disciplinary tool. I was spanked as a child and I can tell you it was an effective deterrent and yet, didn't turn me into a violent sociopath. Might there have been another way to get the point across??? Maybe, but it seems every child psychiatrist with a computer and a printer has a book out documenting thier "fool-proof" disciplinary regimen and who the heck knows if it will work with YOUR child or not???

To each thier own. I won't tell you how to discipline your child and I appreciate not being lectured on how to discipline mine (not aimed at you personally).

Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM

646 posts, read 1,788,031 times
Good initiative by Canada! We've had this law in the books since the late 70s in Sweden. Hitting a child is my opinion is always wrong, no matter how much or little of a force you apply - the government is doing the right thing.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Good initiative by Canada! We've had this law in the books since the late 70s in Sweden. Hitting a child is my opinion is always wrong, no matter how much or little of a force you apply - the government is doing the right thing.
It's a matter of opinion as you stated and is thus, not the government's place to rule on it. To me, all arguing about the merits of spanking aside, it's that simple.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
It's a matter of opinion as you stated and is thus, not the government's place to rule on it. To me, all arguing about the merits of spanking aside, it's that simple.
So what are government policies based on then? It's my opinion that you should be punished for homicide so that means that government shouldn't have a say in that punishment? If the will of the people is to outlaw spanking, government most certainly has the right and even responsibility to do so.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
So what are government policies based on then? It's my opinion that you should be punished for homicide so that means that government shouldn't have a say in that punishment? If the will of the people is to outlaw spanking, government most certainly has the right and even responsibility to do so.
Well let's see where that "Mandate of the people" might have come from..... I didn't hear the voices of Canada rise up and say "spanking is a travesty" or anything of the like. Fact is it is HIGHLY disputed that it is some damaging form of discipline and many see it as positive (unlike your compelling homicide argument), so how can the government invade one's home and say "no" you cannot use spanking as a tool to raise and discipline your kids???

Are you one of those who wants to remove the game "tag" from schools and have little league baseball and soccer games in which no team "wins" because we don't want to teach our children that anyone actually "loses" in sports???

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well let's see where that "Mandate of the people" might have come from..... I didn't hear the voices of Canada rise up and say "spanking is a travesty" or anything of the like. Fact is it is HIGHLY disputed that it is some damaging form of discipline and many see it as positive (unlike your compelling homicide argument), so how can the government invade one's home and say "no" you cannot use spanking as a tool to raise and discipline your kids???

Are you one of those who wants to remove the game "tag" from schools and have little league baseball and soccer games in which no team "wins" because we don't want to teach our children that anyone actually "loses" in sports???
I didn't say that was the case in this particular case, even though it looks like a slight majority support the ruling and an even bigger majority believes the use of physical force by others such as teachers should be outlawed. However, I believe government bodies still have that right in order to protect people such as children in this case. I don't see any positive about spanking, but I understand that there are those who oppose that. The United Nations Committee on the Rights of a Child asked Canada to remove this law and I certainly agree with that.

And no I'm not for silly things like removing competitve games in school.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,361 times
If one doesn't have the right to spank another adult (even out of love and care and a desire to teach the other adult the right way..), the same rules should apply to children. Children should be afforded the same protection under the law from a physical assault as adults, even if the assault is coming from a parent. Yeah, I know I will get crap for using the word "assault", but if you are using physical agression/force/contact to prove a point, I would throw that easily into the assault category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting