Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:32 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

OTTAWA, June 19, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In response to a debate on spanking that took place yesterday before the Senate Committee of Human Rights (SCHR), the Institute of Marriage and Family Canada (IMFC) presented a research report indicating their disapproval of the proposed new legislation.

The debated bill, S-207, would take out Section 43 of the Criminal Code (allowing spanking), thereby forbidding parents to spank their children, effectively making it criminal behaviour.

The IMFC report begins by outlining some of the evidence in favour of spanking. After Sweden outlawed it in 1979, for example, links were established between the new policy and a rise in violence. While last year, Dr. Jane Millichamp of the University of Otago in New Zealand released a study that examined 1000 children over 30 years. The study concluded, "Punishing children by spanking does not make them more aggressive or anti-social as adults." Many other past and recent studies have reached similar conclusions.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/jun/07061901.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Default Should the government get involved?

We think that the government should stay out of the personal lives of law abiding families. How would this be policed? There is a difference between abuse and dicipline. Children need to be diciplined.
"If it's not 'broke' don't fix it" Abuse is going to happen regardless of Section 43. It's already against the 'law' focus on policing that, and leave the people who are maintaining control and reasonableness alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
OTTAWA, June 19, 2007 (LifeSiteNews.com) - In response to a debate on spanking that took place yesterday before the Senate Committee of Human Rights (SCHR), the Institute of Marriage and Family Canada (IMFC) presented a research report indicating their disapproval of the proposed new legislation.

The debated bill, S-207, would take out Section 43 of the Criminal Code (allowing spanking), thereby forbidding parents to spank their children, effectively making it criminal behaviour.

The IMFC report begins by outlining some of the evidence in favour of spanking. After Sweden outlawed it in 1979, for example, links were established between the new policy and a rise in violence. While last year, Dr. Jane Millichamp of the University of Otago in New Zealand released a study that examined 1000 children over 30 years. The study concluded, "Punishing children by spanking does not make them more aggressive or anti-social as adults." Many other past and recent studies have reached similar conclusions.

http://www.lifesite.net/ldn/2007/jun/07061901.html

Old 06-28-2007, 03:42 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
I suppose 'spanking' will have to be precisely defined.

Years of legal challenges and all that.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Yet another reason not to live in Canada.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Angry Great....another thing the government sticks it's nose in....

It seems to me, that the governments in this world stick their noses more and more in personal affairs, where it doesn't belong.
If I want to spank my child (I have, and DON'T feel bad about it! So, please DON'T bother lecturing me about it!!), I, as a mother to that child, should have enough authority to do so, without "checking" in with the gosh darn government.
Come on, we are not talking about a beating here!
Unless the government got pregnant and carried my child, gave birth to my child, raises my child, which they didn't....... they should just put a sock in it, stay out of it, and shut up about it.
Here it shows, again, that the government and it's polititians have so much time on their hands, not worried about bigger issues, but making issues out of boredom.
Wait, the government will give you a "guideline" pamplet, a "do" and "don't" list, once they find out you are pregnant....ROTFL!
Who voted for those idiots????

Last edited by MB2; 06-28-2007 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: add

Old 06-28-2007, 10:10 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,679 times
No one is going to tell me what to do with my child. There are times my son(s) need a quick smack on the butt. It doesn't happen very often but when it does you can bet they know why!!

And by the way, davart, that is a pretty damn rude comment. I could say something but us Canadians are not that rude.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:12 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
No one is going to tell me what to do with my child. There are times my son(s) need a quick smack on the butt. It doesn't happen very often but when it does you can bet they know why!!

And by the way, davart, that is a pretty damn rude comment. I could say something but us Canadians are not that rude.

How is it up there in America's Hairpiece?? (Sorry couldn't resist ).

Anyway, spanking has been a child-rearing (no pun intended) tool since the dawn of time. The government needs to butt out. There are obvious signs of abuse in children and that's what people need to go off of instead of trying to pass laws that can't be enforced. Sorry if it offends you if I give my daughter a quick thwap on the behind at the grocery store when she's out of control, but hey, wouldn't these people be the same ones who would complain about my child being out of control if I didn't take matters into my own hands??? Now they want to tell me HOW I should do it???

Well PHHHHHT on them..

Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
How is it up there in America's Hairpiece?? (Sorry couldn't resist ).

Well PHHHHHT on them..

ggggrrrr!!! Seriously, if it's all in good fun I don't mind Canadian jokes. Like how we are bugged for saying 'eh' all the time. I didn't even notice it until an American friend kept pointing it out to me, we really do say that!

I whole heartedly agree with your last statement!!

Old 06-29-2007, 04:48 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Great....another thing the government sticks it's nose in....

It seems to me, that the governments in this world stick their noses more and more in personal affairs, where it doesn't belong.

Skoe, I couldn't agree more, and you thing just like me (huh...aren't me like "two peas in the pod"???) LOL
However, that person you named.....I believe he/ she was just pulling your chain, and trying to be funny.
I was the smart one, because I refered my "ranting" at ALL governments.....I don't care it is Canada's, USA'S, Germany's.....
I just think, if they would have a say in my personal, family affair...I would have moved to a comunist country, where everything is abused, your rights stripped, and you have no say in matters, period.
But, since I didn't, I will fight for my right!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
However, that person you named.....I believe he/ she was just pulling your chain, and trying to be funny.
That may be the case but it came out sounding rude. No ! or or or .......
so, who knows!

I like your pea pod analogy! I feel the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting