Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

I would normally feel that public breast feeding is appropriate up until the mother and child decide to stop, BUT;

When my son was playing t-ball (age 5) the coach's son took his turn at bat, then instead of sitting on the bench with the other kids went to his mother's lap and lifted her shirt to nurse. I don't think anybody who was there will ever forget it. The mother was braless, and her breasts sagged down to her waist. We referred to her as "Earthmother" from then on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:53 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I would normally feel that public breast feeding is appropriate up until the mother and child decide to stop, BUT;

When my son was playing t-ball (age 5) the coach's son took his turn at bat, then instead of sitting on the bench with the other kids went to his mother's lap and lifted her shirt to nurse. I don't think anybody who was there will ever forget it. The mother was braless, and her breasts sagged down to her waist. We referred to her as "Earthmother" from then on.
Oh, my. I guess when my daughter becomes more involved with society I may see this.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22
Interesting Side note: I asked my mother why she never breastfed. She said it was because she wanted me father to have a part in the feedings and a chance to bond. I think this is a VERY good point to bring up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive
So, through all of human history before the last 70 years or so, fathers never bonded with their children? That's weak. There are tons of other ways for fathers to bond with their children that don't include feeding them bottles. Bathing, changing, dressing, rocking, singing, playing, cuddling to name a few.
Looks like I was raised by a terrible mother. Shame. I really love her and my father.
I don't see how you can get that from what I said. You said that your mother chose not to breastfeed so that your father could bond with you, and proposed that that is a "VERY good point". I said that there are plenty of ways to bond besides feeding, and that your statement was a weak argument for not breastfeeding (ie - *not* a very good point). I am refuting your argument, not calling anyone a bad mother. If your mother made a decision based on a fallacy, that does not make her a bad mother, it means she did the best she could with the information she had. There is no reason to propagate the misconception to other parents making their feeding decisions though.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Oh, my. I guess when my daughter becomes more involved with society I may see this.
As someone who personally knows multiple children who nursed to age 4 or 5 or beyond, I can tell you that I have never personally *seen* a child that age nursing, besides my own, and that includes personal spaces such as homes and LLL meetings. I think it is really quite uncommon for them to nurse in front of others.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Looks like I was raised by a terrible mother. Shame. I really love her and my father.
Making factual statements does not imply judgment. The factual statement in this case means that there is more than one way to bond with child.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
As someone who personally knows multiple children who nursed to age 4 or 5 or beyond, I can tell you that I have never personally *seen* a child that age nursing, besides my own, and that includes personal spaces such as homes and LLL meetings. I think it is really quite uncommon for them to nurse in front of others.
4 or 5 or beyond? Just curious and I am asking sincerely not snarkily, is there a cutoff age for you? I mean, are you ok with a 12 year old still nursing if that is what mom and the kid wants?

Old 07-04-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
4 or 5 or beyond? Just curious and I am asking sincerely not snarkily, is there a cutoff age for you? I mean, are you ok with a 12 year old still nursing if that is what mom and the kid wants?
I would say that I feel comfortable with it up to about 7, maybe 8, but I wouldn't call that a strict "cut-off" age because I know that kids are different. Most children, when left to wean in their own time, will do so around 3-4 years old, with outliers lasting to age 6-7. I think it's very rare, even in child-led weaning culture, for children to nurse past this age. I can't imagine still nursing my daughter at that age, but then again, if you'd asked me 4 years ago, I never could have imagined nursing her as a 4 year old either. It's sometimes hard to imagine situations so different from your own. If I have to name a strict cut-off, as in maximum acceptable age, I guess I'd say puberty.

By the way, you very well may know a child who has nursed that long and you just weren't aware of it. My 4 year old still nurses sometimes, but I don't think that her friends at preschool know about it, nor their parents. She doesn't do it there, and I doubt it comes up in conversation. She nurses at home, in her bed, so nobody else ever sees. My daughter's grandparents didn't even realize she was still nursing until it came up in conversation recently, and we see them frequently and she spends the night there sometimes. This thread wasn't really about how long to breastfeed in general, but how long to do so *in public*, and it is very rare for an older nursling like that to do so in public.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:28 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
I don't see how you can get that from what I said. You said that your mother chose not to breastfeed so that your father could bond with you, and proposed that that is a "VERY good point". I said that there are plenty of ways to bond besides feeding, and that your statement was a weak argument for not breastfeeding (ie - *not* a very good point). I am refuting your argument, not calling anyone a bad mother. If your mother made a decision based on a fallacy, that does not make her a bad mother, it means she did the best she could with the information she had. There is no reason to propagate the misconception to other parents making their feeding decisions though.
I said it was a very good point because it was a point that many people may not have thought of. I know I didn't.

I don't believe she based it on any "false" information. She had all the information that everyone else had and she still chose bottle feeding (with formula might I add). It did help me and my father bond. It also helped my father spend time with me since he worked and my mom stayed home with both me and my sister.

I am sorry but your comments make seem like you are calling her some sort of low income back ally woman.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
I would say that I feel comfortable with it up to about 7, maybe 8, but I wouldn't call that a strict "cut-off" age because I know that kids are different. Most children, when left to wean in their own time, will do so around 3-4 years old, with outliers lasting to age 6-7. I think it's very rare, even in child-led weaning culture, for children to nurse past this age. I can't imagine still nursing my daughter at that age, but then again, if you'd asked me 4 years ago, I never could have imagined nursing her as a 4 year old either. It's sometimes hard to imagine situations so different from your own. If I have to name a strict cut-off, as in maximum acceptable age, I guess I'd say puberty.

By the way, you very well may know a child who has nursed that long and you just weren't aware of it. My 4 year old still nurses sometimes, but I don't think that her friends at preschool know about it, nor their parents. She doesn't do it there, and I doubt it comes up in conversation. She nurses at home, in her bed, so nobody else ever sees. My daughter's grandparents didn't even realize she was still nursing until it came up in conversation recently, and we see them frequently and she spends the night there sometimes. This thread wasn't really about how long to breastfeed in general, but how long to do so *in public*, and it is very rare for an older nursling like that to do so in public.

This is wrong on so many levels. Imagine a conversation between Grade 1's and 2's. "So Johnny what's your favourite thing to drink. I love grape juice." and Johnny replies: "I drink milk from mommy's boobies." yuck!!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I knew a woman who gave her daughter "snacks" at age 7. In the home, in her bedroom. In fact, when her daughter asked for "snacks" they would get up and go into the bedroom. At that age, if this is really what they consider a "snack" - as in, something specifically used as a food substance, rather than cuddle-time, then that kid is old enough to be "snacking" at the dining room table and not in mommy's bed.

I thought the whole thing was bizarre. I mean, you get invited over to a friend of a friend's for lunch, and the host excuses herself to give "snacks" to her 7-year-old in the bedroom? It just really gave me the creeps. And that was (sort of) in private (sort of, because she had company over, one of whom was a complete stranger - me - and because she displayed this "snacktime" in full view of the living room where we were gathered, with the bedroom door open so she could continue talking to us).

Snacks..for a 7-year-old. Snacks? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting