Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 12,713 times

Advertisements

What would you do if the cops showed up at your house at 10am asking for your 20 year old daughter and inquiring about a firework prank the night before?

Turns out some of your sons friends went with your daughter and her friend to set off a firework in front of some guys house they knew and hated and the firework left damage on their front door?
Say she lied to the cop and avoided getting out of trouble and got away with it.

Would there be any punishment at home from you(the parent)?
And what would you do? Say you paid for most her stuff...would you do something like take her cell phone away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Taking cell phones away from 20 year olds isn't appropriate. She's an adult.

Plus, a cell phone is not relevant to what happened.

Instead, I would insist she repay the person for the damage done to his door.

If she refuses to pay for the damage, I would show her the exit door from living in my home.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 PM

Well since there was damage she could get arrested.
She was NOT the one to light the firework though.
Her brothers friend ran over and dropped the firework, lit it and ran.
She was just in the car.

If anyone should be paying for anything it should be the guy who lit the firework.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma-To-Two View Post
Well since there was damage she could get arrested.
She can drop off money annonymously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma-To-Two View Post
She was NOT the one to light the firework though.
Her brothers friend ran over and dropped the firework, lit it and ran.
She was just in the car.

If anyone should be paying for anything it should be the guy who lit the firework.
That's irrelevant. She was in the get-away car. A get-away-driver of a bank robbery is equally guilty as the bank robber holding the gun. Anyone in the car is an accomplice. She's just as guilty as the rest of them. She could have talked them out of it. She could have left and walked home. But instead, she acted like a child and should be held responsible for what she did. She DARN WELL could have been to be arrested if the police had not been fooled. IMO paying for the damage is getting off easy. She's an adult and she could have had a criminal record for doing a prank that young children get a slap on the wrist for doing. Quit protecting your daughter. She's 20 years old and still doing immature stuff for a reason.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
encourage her to move out of the house. she is old enough.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
There would definitley be punishment. First there would be a long lecture on why what she did was wrong. I would punish her by taking away the item that she loves the most for one month. She would be grounded for a week and her curfew would be moved back one hour.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:34 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Yep I think that her mode of transportation be taken away first and then if she complains or cry and whines about it tell her if she dont like it move out . Then the other thing would be she would pay part for the damages and then I would find out who the other parties involved were and speak with their parents . you know some states have the legal age set at 21 .

Old 07-05-2010, 02:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Grounded? Punishment by mommy? Taking away items for a month? Are you kidding? This is a 20-year-old woman. She's an adult, legally responsible for her own rights and responsibilities. If she was a 14-year-old who needed to learn a lesson she hadn't been living long enough to learn yet, then sure, punishments, revoked privileges, lectures, and grounding. An adult though? I wouldn't cover for her. If the cops asked where she was, and I knew where she was, I'd tell them. I would -not-, however, divulge any information about the alleged crime, without the advise of a lawyer because doing so could involve me in the criminal case.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
sounds like you are telling us what happened last night?
if she is 20 not a kid, but playing kid games.
do you have house rules?

Old 07-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep I think that her mode of transportation be taken away first and then if she complains or cry and whines about it tell her if she dont like it move out . Then the other thing would be she would pay part for the damages and then I would find out who the other parties involved were and speak with their parents . you know some states have the legal age set at 21 .
She does not have her own car.
Her friend was driving who is 19 and does not live at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting