Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:29 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Not ready until she's 4 wow I hope not. The reason I feel like such a failure is because everyone around me keeps telling me how their kids are already trained and they are YOUNGER then my daughter. My son was trained well before 3.
So you still think she's not ready even after I explained how she knows when she is peeing in her diaper and tells me after the fact. I was just looking for ways I could get her to realize BEFORE SHE GOES.
Of course she knows when she is peeing in the diaper, she can feel the warmth and the wet. It doesn't mean that she knows that she is going to go right before she does it. Just take a break and revisit potty training again in a couple of months and if she still doesn't seem ready try again every month or so.

My dd trained at 2 years 10 months. I took her to the store and let her pick out some underwear, a new potty seat and some stickers. I gave her a sticker every time she went on the potty and that was that. She went in the potty from that day forward (and stayed dry overnight) with very few accidents. Why was it so easy? Because she was ready.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:32 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Not ready until she's 4 wow I hope not. The reason I feel like such a failure is because everyone around me keeps telling me how their kids are already trained and they are YOUNGER then my daughter. My son was trained well before 3.
So you still think she's not ready even after I explained how she knows when she is peeing in her diaper and tells me after the fact. I was just looking for ways I could get her to realize BEFORE SHE GOES.
The thing is that if she doesn't know, you cannot teach her and she is not ready to be trained.

As I said before, you can try having her go bottomless, so that she can see what happens and that *might* lead to recognizing the sensation before she actually goes, but it's an *iffy* proposition.

You might want to look at this book

Amazon.com: Used and New: Toilet Learning: The Picture Book Technique for Children and Parents

Old 07-11-2010, 09:39 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,080 times
loose the diapers and pull ups.

Old Fashioned cloth training pants. Diapers and pull-ups wick the wetness away from her skin. Without the sensation of wet, she may very well be recognizing the sensation, but there is no direct consequence to the sensation. She may not connect the sensation to peeing.

I understand you have another baby, but that may actually help you remember to sit her on the potty. Whenever you change the baby, put her on the potty.

If she isn't ready, you are just prolonging the process. My son came to me at just over two and said to me "On go potty" and *poof* he was pee trained.... poop, ahhh a a whole different story. Thing is each child is different and on a different schedule. First thing is to see if she recognizes the connection from the sensation and peeing, the second is scheduled pee breaks, then the rest is up to her.

Last edited by rockinmomma; 07-11-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
She can't tell you BECAUSE SHE'S TWO. I read all of the other thread but did not reply because others already said what needs to be said. She is not ready. YOU, as the adult, have to accept that fact. There is no set time table and if she's not ready until she's 3 1/2 or 4, that's just the way it is. You feel like a failure as a parent about this because you are pushing for something that is simply not going to happen yet.
Absolutely spot on. Too many parents look at books, other kids and judge what they think their child should be able to do rather than just listen to the kid.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,630 times
Potty training is very frustrating - trust me! I thought my son was never going to learn how to use it! The best, consistent advice I got from the books, doctors, friends/family, etc. was to not force it. Show her how to use it and explain what it's for and she will do it on her own. As someone said before, you can't teach someone how to use the bathroom. It will come in time. Don't give up!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:12 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
You said she is seeing a Dr because she is constipated? Why? Does she eat fruit? A regular diet? Candy and chips all the time?
She very well could feel awkward about the Dr thing.. Leave it alone and revisit in 6 months. Till then put her in yucky old crappy cheap diapers. Nothing pretty or wicking in any way. In 6 months when you decide to do it again take her to the store and get "Pretty Big Girl Panties". Believe me vanity and bribery works WONDERS with girls.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:55 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
You said she is seeing a Dr because she is constipated? Why? Does she eat fruit? A regular diet? Candy and chips all the time?
She very well could feel awkward about the Dr thing.. Leave it alone and revisit in 6 months. Till then put her in yucky old crappy cheap diapers. Nothing pretty or wicking in any way. In 6 months when you decide to do it again take her to the store and get "Pretty Big Girl Panties". Believe me vanity and bribery works WONDERS with girls.

No she does not eat candy and chips all the time

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
It's not a competition. Seriously.
Kids do not develop in a smooth, even line. Almost nobody is ahead of the curve in everything. Your friends whose kids are already potty trained are likely not doing other things your daughter might be. Some kids talk early, some read early, some are potty trained before two, some are displaying adult-level maturity at thirteen.
She may simply have enough neurological connections to recognize the sensation of going, and to recognize the sensation of "wet" and not like it. That's a totally different, and less biologically sophisticated, ability than that of knowing what "I need to pee in the next five minutes" feels like. She'll get there.
FWIW, two of mine were trained at two, one at three, and one at four-plus. The one who was potty trained at the latest age was also reading Sylvia Plath at six. So don't take it as a sign of intelligence, just biology.
And anyway, at twenty nobody will care when she learned to potty.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
The constipation could be because she's holding it in since she doesn't want to sit on the potty. In other words, she is likely fighting the potty training. I would hold off on training for now, get the pretty panties like other posters suggested. Tell her when she is ready she can wear that pretty underwear, but in order to wear the underwear she's got to keep them clean and dry. Then give her some Miralax if she's old enough to have it and leave it alone.

She sounds like a child who is going to do the milestone stuff when she's ready and she's not going to let you make her do otherwise.

I don't know, Lisalan -- like mother like daughter?

Just messing with you. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
What is wrong with putting expectations on the child and telling her she is to go in the toilet? She IS old enough to control herself. All the fluff of 'waiting until she is ready' is ridiculous.

Put panties on her and tell her she is to use the toilet from now on. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting