Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The difference is that the basket has other people's germs on it. Yes while your baby seat may not be the picture of cleanliness you know that it wasn't sneezed on, coughed on, spit up on, touched by a person who just used the bathroom and failed to wash their hands, etc. I'm sure to a micro biologist germs are germs but I never put my son in the seats of the basket without putting his cover over it and I washed the cover as soon as we got home.
LOL, no...we pick up germs everywhere we go and they aren't all 'our' germs...they come from other people and places and animals and foods.... or *warning-gross out ahead* other people's bodily fluids/solids.

You take a walk in the park and then drive home. Upon getting out of the car you drop your keys. Now your keys have germs from dog poo and urine that you stepped on in the park (not even enough to mess up your shoes). You pick up your keys and drop them in your bag, unhook the baby from the car seat and go inside.

Now...those dog poo germs are on your shoes, on your floor mat, on your key fob, on your baby wipes (that were in the bag next to the keys), on your car door handle, on your baby seat, on your BABY, on your garage door remote, the door knob going into the house. But you go ahead and wash your hands to get rid of all those nasty germs.

Oops, now those dog poo germs are on the water spigot and the soap dispenser too.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:31 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL, no...we pick up germs everywhere we go and they aren't all 'our' germs...they come from other people and places and animals and foods.... or *warning-gross out ahead* other people's bodily fluids/solids.

You take a walk in the park and then drive home. Upon getting out of the car you drop your keys. Now your keys have germs from dog poo and urine that you stepped on in the park (not even enough to mess up your shoes). You pick up your keys and drop them in your bag, unhook the baby from the car seat and go inside.

Now...those dog poo germs are on your shoes, on your floor mat, on your key fob, on your baby wipes (that were in the bag next to the keys), on your car door handle, on your baby seat, on your BABY, on your garage door remote, the door knob going into the house. But you go ahead and wash your hands to get rid of all those nasty germs.

Oops, now those dog poo germs are on the water spigot and the soap dispenser too.
Well gee golly whiz you just proved to me that the world is full of germs I would have never thunked of that all on my own. Either way your scenario still doesn't compare to the germs that are on a basket in the grocery store; at least not to me. And we're off subject now so it's really not worth debating.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Well gee golly whiz you just proved to me that the world is full of germs I would have never thunked of that all on my own. Either way your scenario still doesn't compare to the germs that are on a basket in the grocery store; at least not to me. And we're off subject now so it's really not worth debating.

Exactly. My stroller is in my trunk. I wipe off my stroller with purrell. I don't drive my stroller though dog poop.
We were discussing a shopping cart vs a stroller.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:35 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
So you're going to compare my stroller that I clean frequently to the handle of a grocery cart that has had people's snot rubbed all over it and their cough infested droplets? Oh and did I mention the salmonella and ecoli from the raw meat?
I think I'll take my stroller over a shopping cart any day. I'm not the only one who thinks this way. If I was those shopping seat covers wouldn't be selling so well now would they?
Of course, because of the invention of cart covers your baby is completely shielded from germs of all sorts. It's almost as good as living in a bubble. No more babies dropping dead in grocery store parking lots from grocery cart germs. The epidemic has ended because of cart covers!! The popularity of cart covers has nothing to do with clever marketing to paranoid parents who, by simply thinking that the babies are less exposed to germs convince themselves that it is truth....regardless of science and common sense.

Oh...and did YOU wash your hands after you handled the grocery cart and before touching your baby, or your stroller or your car keys, your door handle......you should see where this is going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Exactly. My stroller is in my trunk. I wipe off my stroller with purrell. I don't drive my stroller though dog poop.
We were discussing a shopping cart vs a stroller.
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. But I'm sure you clean your trunk with purell too and that it is also sparkly clean and germ free.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Of course, because of the invention of cart covers your baby is completely shielded from germs of all sorts. It's almost as good as living in a bubble. No more babies dropping dead in grocery store parking lots from grocery cart germs. The epidemic has ended because of cart covers!! The popularity of cart covers has nothing to do with clever marketing to paranoid parents who, by simply thinking that the babies are less exposed to germs convince themselves of that it is truth....regardless of science and common sense.

Oh...and did YOU wash your hands after you handled the grocery cart and before touching your baby, or your stroller or your car keys, your door handle......you should see where this is going.
My main concern with the shopping cart was my son would put his mouth on it The one I brought had a really thick cushion that wrapped around the handle except the ends and that where I would push it. It's unlikely that he'll have his mouth on my shoes, the stroller handle, the key fob, my door handle, etc and I would use hand sanitizer as frequently as I could because I know those things have germs on them. I don't see that as paranoid, just cautious but to each their own. No need to put others down just because they like to think they're extra steps are keeping their children healthy.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Of course, because of the invention of cart covers your baby is completely shielded from germs of all sorts. It's almost as good as living in a bubble. No more babies dropping dead in grocery store parking lots from grocery cart germs. The epidemic has ended because of cart covers!! The popularity of cart covers has nothing to do with clever marketing to paranoid parents who, by simply thinking that the babies are less exposed to germs convince themselves that it is truth....regardless of science and common sense.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. But I'm sure you clean your trunk with purell too and that it is also sparkly clean and germ free.
LALALALALALLALALLALSerenity now!!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Thread closed for mod review.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:10 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
The mods agree this thread has run its course and outlived its usefulness. Act like the adults you are, people, or this is the risk you run into. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting