Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM

556 posts, read 800,081 times

Advertisements

Do you judge the parents of over weight children?

Do you judge more harshly if the parents are thin? More harshly if they are over wright also?

These questions are about younger children, say 10 and under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM

212 posts, read 688,642 times
I think I have more feelings for the kid if the parents are overweight too. Probably do judge them in my mind, like How can you let your kid get like that, and go thru what you have? But on the other hand, as a bystander, we do not know their situation or illness. I would hope that they are not feeding them anything they want, but we know some are; they are enabling. And with today's tech, too many kids are always attached to some kind of gadet or game.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times
I don't sit back and spend a lot of time "judging" other parents. I saw an overweight boy at the pool the other day. I mostly just thought "I wonder if the parents can see it. I wonder what that mom is thinking of her kid standing next to my thin kid." I do feel bad for the kid because it probably isn't his fault. Maybe the kid has a medical issue. Who knows?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM

831 posts, read 1,587,764 times
I have been over weight my whole life, not huge but big. I wear a size 14. Lasy yr I got up to a 22. I was told I hade type 2 diabetes and I have really been trying to get this weight off once and for all. I have 2 girls, 11 and 2. I work extra hard to make sure they stay at a healthy weight. The drink lots of water and eat very healthy most of the time. I would say that yes I do judge the patents. If the parent is over weight, they know what that is like and should want better for their kids.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,281,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I have been over weight my whole life, not huge but big. I wear a size 14. Lasy yr I got up to a 22. I was told I hade type 2 diabetes and I have really been trying to get this weight off once and for all. I have 2 girls, 11 and 2. I work extra hard to make sure they stay at a healthy weight. The drink lots of water and eat very healthy most of the time. I would say that yes I do judge the patents. If the parent is over weight, they know what that is like and should want better for their kids.
do you think there is a genetic predisposition or do you think it is all environment (when an overweight parent has overweight kids)?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,352,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
do you think there is a genetic predisposition or do you think it is all environment (when an overweight parent has overweight kids)?

I'm sure there is some genetic component but not significant. I find that the obese children usually have obese parents since they feed the kids the same unhealthy things they eat.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM

852 posts, read 1,368,660 times
Some of my nieces and nephews are significantly overweight, and the families' lives do revolve around food. The number of junky snacks in their houses at any given time is to me, shocking.

That said, I love them, but I guess I do judge a little. My BILs and SILs are wonderful, dear people, but I wish for their children's sakes that they would work harder for healthier lifestyles. The parents are all overweight (more likely obese, but I dislike that word) too. My two SILs are both younger than me, in their thirties, and they're both on diabetes and high blood pressure medication.

I don't think they're bad parents, quite the opposite, they're terrific, but I do wonder how they let things get so out of hand. It's hard to resist food though. Food addiction, I think, is much harder to deal with than other addictions because people have to eat. There's no getting away from it.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 AM

556 posts, read 800,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post

Do you and your children eat the same foods?

I ask not because I'm judging you, but because of my "issue". I was always pretty thin before I had kids, but not healthy, I would pretty much starve myself. Occasionally I'd gain a little weight, then starve it off. Well, with each baby I gained 60+ pounds. I would lose it all within the first year, then gain most of it back by the time the were 2. Now I'm heavy. My husband is a thin guy and both my sons are thin. I tend to eat junk, but not them have extreme amounts of junk. I find myself snacking after they go to bed.

I wonder if people judge me like "how is the mother fat, yet the rest of the family is thin?".

Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,811,274 times
Yes, I judge the fat kid and parent. The parents see their kid is overweight. You see these parents and the kid sliding around with chips and soda in hand.

I'm not sure on the born obese theory. I have seen children resemble their parents and they're big in the same areas. It looks like a smaller vision of the parent. It could be some truth in it.

My cousin is overweight. She's trying hard to keep the weight off. My family are thin people. My cousin favor her father's side. His family is big or obese. When she was younger, my aunt told her to watch your eating habits. You have your father's genes.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:18 PM

831 posts, read 1,587,764 times
Yes I think there is a genetic predisposition in some families. But that just means you have to be more careful and not use that as an excuss.

Up untill the last yr I ate differantly than the rest of my family. Say for dinner I would make Chicken, broccoli, mashed potates and rolls. I would make my daughter a plate of mostly chicken and broccoli with a smaller portion of potatoes and 1 roll. My plate would have chicken, no broccoli, a large porion of potatoes and 2 or 3 rolls. I never ate a salad as a child but I make a big salad a couple of times a week for the kids. We put ckicken or boiled eggs and cheese in it and that is their lunch..I am trying to make myself eat the salad. I think most over weight adults have tried to lose weight so many times they know what the should eat but they just don't do it.

Even when my now 11 yr old was little and I was still eating wrong I made sure she did not start out with poor eating habbits. I always had fresh fruit and veggies for her to snack on. She started eating cottage cheese when she was a baby. I never ate the snacks but I made sure she did. Of course she would like junk some too but it would really be as a special treat. I was sneaky and would eat my junk when she had a nap or was in bed for the night. Or if we went out for icecream she would get a small cone and I would get a big oooy gooey sunday and eat the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting