Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,804,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
. I'd like to blame the thyroid disorder, but if I'm going to be honest with myself, I can't. Whenever I've gained weight at any point in my life, pre or post thyroid diagnosis, it's because I'm overeating.
Me too Lucy. I'm not big, but I know when I'm eating too much. I can't blame it on the thyroid. I would love too, tho.

I love salty fries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,958,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
No, I don't judge the parents. I think the causes of obesity are not as simplistic as many believe. Therefore, I think there are some factors within a parent's control and some factors outside it. Parents can of course, encourage good eating habits, encouraging the child to pursue an active lifestyle, etc. but I think controlling someone else's weight, even that of child is often not as easy as it might appear. (Before we "judge," as with many things, it might be helpful to have walked in that parent's shoes for awhile.)
Agree. To answer the question, nope I don't judge other people's weight--and that includes parents or their children. And when I do see the bigger kids at the pool, or riding their bike, or playing sports I do everything in my power to encourage that healthy behavior. I don't know a single parent who either wants to be overweight or have an overweight child. We should be supporting each other instead of judging. Incidentally, my children are "normal" weight. Whatever that means.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,943,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Yes, I judge the fat kid and parent. The parents see their kid is overweight. You see these parents and the kid sliding around with chips and soda in hand.

I'm not sure on the born obese theory. I have seen children resemble their parents and they're big in the same areas. It looks like a smaller vision of the parent. It could be some truth in it.

My cousin is overweight. She's trying hard to keep the weight off. My family are thin people. My cousin favor her father's side. His family is big or obese. When she was younger, my aunt told her to watch your eating habits. You have your father's genes.
You know it isn't really the way you portray it. I have three kids. I keep NO JUNK in the house. They are all really different body types. The thinnest child is the biggest eater.

DS#1-16 years old. 5'7", 150 lb. He is a gym rat and looks great. He is heavy, but very very muscular. Very fit child. He eats his share of cheeseburgers but doesn't really eat chips or candy.

DS#2-14 years old. 5'9", 125 lb. SO SKINNY. He eats like a pig and does not do lots of exercise. Plays piano, drums, saxophone. He eats all the time and never seems to get full.

DS#3-11 years old. 4'11'', 113 lb (down from 117). Very chubby. Plays football, lacrosse. Active. Likes food but eats healthy. Eats little junk food. He needs to get to 110 to play football on the 110 lb team. His goal is to get to 105. I feel bad for him. It's not like this child sits on his butt all day every day and eats nothing but Doritos. He plays sports all the time (he's outside now) eats salad while his brothers eat burgers and he's still pretty chubby.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,998,412 times
I'm guilty of judging if I see obese parents eating junk with equally obese children. But, I have two sisters with thyroid issues, and my heart breaks for them. Even with medication, and careful diets, they will never be thin.

I have three sons. The oldest and youngest are physically perfect specimens of muscle. The middle one needed medication for a tic disorder while he was in elementary school, and the weight piled on. He was so proud of himself for losing 10 pounds this summer, but he will probably never be an ideal weight. Because of him, I am much more aware that weight is sometimes NOT something people can control.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM

17,448 posts, read 16,633,115 times
I'm the one in my family who could stand to lose some weight. And I'm working very hard at doing just that. But it is hard - and I'm an adult. Losing just 1 pound a week means cutting out or exercising off 3500 calories a week or an average of 500 calories a day. To lose 2 pounds a week, that means cutting out/burning off 7000 calories a week or 1000 calories a day. I'm making progress though (yay!) and am determined to keep it up.

I feel for kids (and adults) who are struggling with weight issues, it's no fun.

And I do worry somewhat about the way I might be judged by "society" or, worse, that being an overweight mom might reflect negatively on my children - "They come from a fat mother," etc. Ugh. All the more reason to get this weight off and keep it off.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-30-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 03:51 PM

17,448 posts, read 16,633,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You know it isn't really the way you portray it. I have three kids. I keep NO JUNK in the house. They are all really different body types. The thinnest child is the biggest eater.

DS#1-16 years old. 5'7", 150 lb. He is a gym rat and looks great. He is heavy, but very very muscular. Very fit child. He eats his share of cheeseburgers but doesn't really eat chips or candy.

DS#2-14 years old. 5'9", 125 lb. SO SKINNY. He eats like a pig and does not do lots of exercise. Plays piano, drums, saxophone. He eats all the time and never seems to get full.

DS#3-11 years old. 4'11'', 113 lb (down from 117). Very chubby. Plays football, lacrosse. Active. Likes food but eats healthy. Eats little junk food. He needs to get to 110 to play football on the 110 lb team. His goal is to get to 105. I feel bad for him. It's not like this child sits on his butt all day every day and eats nothing but Doritos. He plays sports all the time (he's outside now) eats salad while his brothers eat burgers and he's still pretty chubby.
I think it all boils down to how efficient a person's body is at storing calories.

Your DS#2 stays thin because he is active and his body is inefficient at storing calories - there are times when he probably consumes more calories than his body needs, but his body does not store those calories as fat.

In comparison to his brothers, DS#3 isn't consuming nearly as much as they do but he is still taking in more calories than his body needs. However, unlike his brothers, his body is an efficient fat storer. He gains weight easily.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,943,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think it all boils down to how efficient a person's body is at storing calories.

Your DS#2 stays thin because he is active and his body is inefficient at storing calories - there are times when he probably consumes more calories than his body needs, but his body does not store those calories as fat.

In comparison to his brothers, DS#3 isn't consuming nearly as much as they do but he is still taking in more calories than his body needs. However, unlike his brothers, his body is an efficient fat storer. He gains weight easily.
I get that. I just get a little upset at those who would say that parents of overweight kids are terrible parents because their kids are overweight. My son is not ENORMOUS, but he is on the chubby side. We are not terrible parents because he struggles with his weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on over weight - obese children.-img_1206_2.jpg  

Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,923,141 times
I have no problem with "chubbier" kids and I do understand 100% that some people have thyroid problems, their bodies are better at storing fat, etc. But there is such no excuse for THIS type of of obesity.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/...maturely-2.jpg

This type of obesity just makes me feel for the child.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Agree. To answer the question, nope I don't judge other people's weight--and that includes parents or their children. And when I do see the bigger kids at the pool, or riding their bike, or playing sports I do everything in my power to encourage that healthy behavior. I don't know a single parent who either wants to be overweight or have an overweight child. We should be supporting each other instead of judging. Incidentally, my children are "normal" weight. Whatever that means.
no, but sometimes they don't do anything to control it either. My husband and I and our 2 kids are all thin. Always have been. His mother, step father, sister, and nephew (11yo) are all overweight. When we are all together and you look at how we eat, it isn't difficult to see the difference. I'm sad for my nephew because he hasn't been taught any better. He snacks on junk food all the time.

My thing is that a person doesn't pack on pounds over night. It takes a while to get that way. If I see it happening, I'm going to do something before it becomes a huge problem. Sometimes I look at people and wonder how they let it get that far.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
do you think there is a genetic predisposition or do you think it is all environment (when an overweight parent has overweight kids)?
Less than 10% of these people can blame genetics. It's environment and the crap we've been duped into eating.

I work with these families all the time - it's almost 100% bad habits when it comes to the kids. You'll see an exception here and there, but if the parents do it, it usually filters down to the kids, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting