Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM

556 posts, read 799,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
Yes I think there is a genetic predisposition in some families. But that just means you have to be more careful and not use that as an excuss.

Up untill the last yr I ate differantly than the rest of my family. Say for dinner I would make Chicken, broccoli, mashed potates and rolls. I would make my daughter a plate of mostly chicken and broccoli with a smaller portion of potatoes and 1 roll. My plate would have chicken, no broccoli, a large porion of potatoes and 2 or 3 rolls. I never ate a salad as a child but I make a big salad a couple of times a week for the kids. We put ckicken or boiled eggs and cheese in it and that is their lunch..I am trying to make myself eat the salad. I think most over weight adults have tried to lose weight so many times they know what the should eat but they just don't do it.

Even when my now 11 yr old was little and I was still eating wrong I made sure she did not start out with poor eating habbits. I always had fresh fruit and veggies for her to snack on. She started eating cottage cheese when she was a baby. I never ate the snacks but I made sure she did. Of course she would like junk some too but it would really be as a special treat. I was sneaky and would eat my junk when she had a nap or was in bed for the night. Or if we went out for icecream she would get a small cone and I would get a big oooy gooey sunday and eat the whole thing.

That's us to a tee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:33 PM

354 posts, read 714,088 times
I really don't think we are in a position to judge unless we know the whole story. For example, a coworker of mine has a diagnosed thyroid issue. She takes medication for it, but as a child, she was active and would eat very little and was still quite heavy. Genetics can play a role as well--we all know people who don't exercise and eat junk food and don't gain a pound--while others exercise and watch what they eat--but remain heavy. There was a case on Discovery Health of a mother who was quite upset that she was harshly judged because of her toddlers extreme weight--he had Prader-Willy syndrome. We just don't know--so to judge without knowing the facts is unfair.
If you know for a fact that certain things are going on that could prevent weight gain, then perhaps you can judge. For example, there is a child I sometimes tutor who is heavy. He is only five. The children are allowed to take a break to have a snack or play a game in the middle of their session. Mom always brings a snack--no problem, except that 'snack' consists of a burger, fries, and a milkshake! I wasn't sure if he was having lunch or what, so I asked him one day if he was just having lunch before he went home for the day, thinking that I could probably allow him to have a little more time instead of the usual ten minute break--so he wouldn't have to rush to eat. The little boy said that that was just a snack, and that mom always gives him lunch when they get home from tutoring--and that day they were going to McD's!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,926,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm sure there is some genetic component but not significant. I find that the obese children usually have obese parents since they feed the kids the same unhealthy things they eat.
I agree. All too often I see the genetics excuse pulled out ("well little Suzie's parents are overweight so it's understandable that she is too"). Yes, genetics can play a factor in a child's (or anyone, for that matter) weight, but there just is no excuse for 6 year old to weigh 80 pounds, unless there is some underlying medical condition such as thyroid problems.

Truthfully, I try not to judge overweight kids because in most cases, it's not their fault. But when I see a 10 year old who weighs 200 pounds, it's hard not to think "how sad." Because it really is sad to see obese kids, (I don't really think it's awful for a kid to be a little on the chunkier side..that I can understand. But there comes a point when the child is just too big) since most likely they're never going to lead a healthy life. I really don't care if the parent is overweight or thin. The point is, you're feeding your kid crap/not motivating them to exercise, which can lead to a lifetime of problems.

But then again, I really shouldn't think that unless I know the whole story (could be medical issues). But it's just sad to such such obese kids.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,302,133 times
No, I don't judge the parents. I think the causes of obesity are not as simplistic as many believe. Therefore, I think there are some factors within a parent's control and some factors outside it. Parents can of course, encourage good eating habits, encouraging the child to pursue an active lifestyle, etc. but I think controlling someone else's weight, even that of child is often not as easy as it might appear. (Before we "judge," as with many things, it might be helpful to have walked in that parent's shoes for awhile.)

Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM

412 posts, read 1,230,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
no, i don't judge the parents. I think the causes of obesity are not as simplistic as many believe. Therefore, i think there are some factors within a parent's control and some factors outside it. Parents can of course, encourage good eating habits, encouraging the child to pursue an active lifestyle, etc. But i think controlling someone else's weight, even that of child is often not as easy as it might appear. (before we "judge," as with many things, it might be helpful to have walked in that parent's shoes for awhile.)
+1

Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM

852 posts, read 1,367,818 times
It's pretty rare for children to have thyroid disorders. Usually when children are overweight or obese it's because they aren't eating properly and aren't physically active enough. Not always, but usually. I do believe that there are other underlying problems, emotional, psychological, etc. that contribute.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,527,057 times
When I was a kid, around 7 I began to gain weight. I was never obese but I have continued to battle weight problems since then (I'm 19). I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at around 8 years, meaning my body's metabolism functioned slowly and I would gain weight eating the same foods my friends would while they remained sticks. My mom is super skinny, and I always felt like a disappointment to her and my family. I mean, I was given an excersize machine when I was 8. So I wouldn't necessarily judge other people because you never know what may be happening in their lives and the causes behind their weight. Certainly some people may bring it upon themselves, but all you can do is take note and learn to do the opposite and lead the healthiest life you can live.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:59 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,800,567 times
I try not to judge other people..."judge not lest ye be judged" and all that. I will say though that while I have empathy for people who are overweight it all relates to personal choice and habits. Yes, you can be pre-disposed to being overweight and some people do have medical conditions that either cause obesity directly, or the medications they take can cause it. However, those situations are the exception and not the norm.

I guess I feel a little strongly about this, because I come from an obese family. When I was younger I was very active. It didn't matter what I ate, I worked it off. I was raised where you ate when it was time to eat whether you were hungry or not and you cleaned your plate. Ice cream wasn't just dessert it helped heal wounds. My mother was always overweight and my father was inshape, until he got out of the Army.

I played football through college and was an offensive lineman. I left college at 6'4" and close to 300 pounds. I worked out endlessly and ate large amounts to put on the weight that I needed to play. After college I started working and slowly but surely worked out less and less and while I did eat less, I made poor choices. Through getting married and having kids things went down hill for me physically. Quickly I went from 300 pounds of muscle to 270 pounds of flab and even shot up to 310 at one point.

On the other hand my wife was always in excellent shape. She had to work hard after the pregnancies to lose weight, but she came from a thin family with good eating habits.

Our kids have always been healthy and the correct weight. I attribute this to good eating habits at home (good selection, not forcing them to eat, etc.). I guess you could say I was the "fat" one in my family. Even though I ate right at home, it didn't stop me from not exercising and eating fast food lunches. It was the day that my son asked me why my belly jiggled that it got me thinking.

I looked at pictures, not only of me, but my extended family. All of my nieces and nephews were overweight, some by a lot, some by a little, but pretty much everyone in my family was overweight. I realized that if I didn't stop my bad habits, not only would I jeopardize my health, but I was jeopardizing that of my kids by not setting a good example while they were younger.

I contacted my old school and spoke with the trainers and nutritionists there and they were more than happy to help me out. I stopped eating lunch out and switched to packing healthy alternatives. I started working out slowly at first and then quickly got back into it. Now I have dropped down to 240 from a peak of 310 and on my frame 240 looks pretty good (my wife says if I get too thin she won't find me attractive anymore, lol).

As my son has started sports he has actually started working out with me. He joins me for my nightly jog and runs alongside while I push the stroller. He also does my cardio routine with me on the days I don't hit the gym. My wife does pillates at home and my two year old daughter likes to try and do them with her.

So, while I don't judge, I do place blame. Parents have a job to model good behavior to help their children grow up right. Exercise and healthy eating habits are a part of that. If your kids are overweight it does represent a failure on the part of the parents to do their job.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:08 PM

831 posts, read 1,586,508 times
If there is no medical condition then I do think a parent is responsable for their childs weight. Grown ups buy the food, cook the food and serve the food. This subject really touches my heart. No child wants to be the fat kid. Kids don't get the exercise they used to, so to stay at a healthy weight they really have to watch what they eat. If the kids move more the kind have a little more junk. I would love to know the numbers of how many obese kids have a true medical condition. I think that number would be very low. Now it is common for mom to work, have no time to make breakfast and then come home and make a quick dinner or stop and pick up something on the way home. Not judging working moms at all but I think in this day and time that is just how it is.

My mom, brother and sister have always been a healthy weight. My dad and I have been the ones with the weight issues. The siblings did play sports and I did not. They seamed to like the healthy foods and I have always been such a picky eater. I wish now my mom would have made me eat my veggies instead of giving in, then an hour after dinner when I was still hungry I would eat a big bowl of Captin Cunch. Mom didn't want me to sit and cry at the table and be mad at her. And it was easier on her just to let me get up and leave all of the veggies in my plate.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM

852 posts, read 1,367,818 times
As someone who has hypothyroidism, yes, it can contribute to weight gain. I was an adult in my 40s when I was diagnosed, and I only gained six pounds total in the year that it took to get my levels straight. My TSH was so the highest my g.p. had ever seen (88), and I had to be referred to an endocrinologist. A side effect of the thyroid medication for me was increased appetite. I didn't lose those six pounds right away, and I realized that I had to work at it. Since then, I do five or six hours of cardio a week to keep my BMI at 21 or 22.

However, to be honest, when I gain weight, and I do from time to time, it always comes off when I take a look at my diet and get back on track. I'd like to blame the thyroid disorder, but if I'm going to be honest with myself, I can't. Whenever I've gained weight at any point in my life, pre or post thyroid diagnosis, it's because I'm overeating.

But, I like food. A lot. It's hard for me to resist, so I can understand how obesity happens. I just think it's sad when it happens to kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting