Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 02:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

For two months, as Erika Johnson ached to bond with her newborn baby and her breast milk dried up, her daughter remained in the custody of Missouri's Department of Social Services.

Missouri Takes Baby Away from Blind Parents Erika Johnson, Blake Sinnett - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
As sad as this story is, without outside help, it is possible the baby could be in danger as an infant. I wouldn't want to begrudge a blind person for having a child.....but they need to plan ahead for assistance.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
they must have outside help and the mothere herself realised something was wrong, which is why she called the nurse. i cant imagine that a blind coupe doesnt have someone to help them in their daily lives. i cant believe their child was taken away from them that is heartbreaking.
what if a sighted woman was breastfeeding and the baby was turning blue, would THAT baby have been taken away, or would someone have tried to figure out why it was happening and rectify the situation?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
this is Mo we are talking about and they dont need a reason other than " we think theres a problem" .. tipical for that state .. lack of common sense is the norm there by cps ..

Quote:
But after a nurse noticed that Johnson was having trouble breastfeeding, and the baby had turned blue, she wrote on the chart:
"The child is without proper custody, support, or care due to both of (the) parents being blind, and they do not have specialized training to assist them."
Instead of services being made available, such as specialized training, the Missouri Department of Social Services removed the baby from the parents' custody.
From the moment of baby Mikaela's birth, social workers were present and asking Johnson questions such as how would they take the baby's temperature, and how would they get the baby to the doctor. Even as Johnson satisfactorily answered these questions, it was not enough.
There are certainly many challenges to parenting blind, but having navigated the world themselves as blind citizens, both Johnson and Sinnett know how to call a cab and 911 or locate household items that are for use in a blind home, such as a talking thermometer. They aren't the first blind parents, and will not be the last, as was shown by the support the couple received from blind organizations as well as sighted children of the blind. As Johnson said:
"I needed help as a new parent, but not as a blind parent."
How horrifying that their new baby was ripped out of their arms for 57 days when the state decided they were not capable of raising a child. When the first step is to remove a baby rather than direct parents to helpful programs, organizations, or tools, something is deeply wrong with the system.
Shame on Mo .. the lack of common sense there is terrifing

its the same in several places .. have a watch and let your heart break

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZeKJHphpQU

read and tell me whats wrong with this picture?

http://kidjacked.com/states.asp?st=Nevada

Last edited by Faworki1947; 08-01-2010 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
I'm blind and am a parent. I can't see colors, shapes, light, faces, or anything. I see NOTHING. I am a capable parent and a productive citizen.

It's wrong for them to take away that baby simply because the Mother is blind. Lots of new Mothers aren't sure how to breast feed. That's not a crime. Obviously, the Mother was competent enough to notice something wasn't right, which is why she notified the Nurse.

This is simply a case of knee-jerk reaction to a disabled person being a parent, and a situation that was badly mishandled by the hospital and child protective services.

However, I can't say I'm surprised.

Most people I've met (including some people in this forum) seem to think that blind people are stupid and not capable of anything. Being blind in a sighted world, you are forced to prove yourself in ways that many sighted people will never have to. Sad, but it's the way things are -- wrong as that may be.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
This story sickens me. Prejudice, plain and simple.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
I'm blind and am a parent. I can't see colors, shapes, light, faces, or anything. I see NOTHING. I am a capable parent and a productive citizen.

It's wrong for them to take away that baby simply because the Mother is blind. Lots of new Mothers aren't sure how to breast feed. That's not a crime. Obviously, the Mother was competent enough to notice something wasn't right, which is why she notified the Nurse.

This is simply a case of knee-jerk reaction to a disabled person being a parent, and a situation that was badly mishandled by the hospital and child protective services.

However, I can't say I'm surprised.

Most people I've met (including some people in this forum) seem to think that blind people are stupid and not capable of anything. Being blind in a sighted world, you are forced to prove yourself in ways that many sighted people will never have to. Sad, but it's the way things are -- wrong as that may be.
I'm glad you answered Geek since I know you are blind and post in this forum. In my mind, I was really questioning if a totally blind person could care for a new born infant without outside assistance. I guess as a person who would totally rely on site, I forget blind people have honed their other senses. So, please don't feel offended. I just really couldn't imagine how this would work. I'll have to think about it longer.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I'm glad you answered Geek since I know you are blind and post in this forum. In my mind, I was really questioning if a totally blind person could care for a new born infant without outside assistance. I guess as a person who would totally rely on site, I forget blind people have honed their other senses. So, please don't feel offended. I just really couldn't imagine how this would work. I'll have to think about it longer.
Thing is, blind people can do anything a sighted person can (with the exception of driving and flying planes of course).

I have a cousin that's blind. He was born that way. They replaced his eyes with glass ones when he was a child. He's now a grown man in his mid 40s and he works in a busy hospital developing X-Rays.

Google has a web accessible search that was designed for people with disabilities (e.g., motor skill / blindness) and it was coded and completely developed by a blind programmer.

I'm also a programmer.

A blind person can go to a neighborhood they've never been in before, yet they could tell you exactly where every fire hydrant or telephone pole is located on the entire block. Know how? Because their hearing is much more honed as it has taken place of eye sight.

When you're approaching a fire hydrant, the sidewalk makes a different sound -- it sounds hollow because of the water pipes under the sidewalk that are used by the hydrant.

When you're near a telephone pole, you can hear the electricity running though the wires.

Blind parents often teach their kids things that help the parent. For example, my blind cousin that works at the hospital, has 8 kids. With each child they put bells on their shoe laces (so you can hear the kids). With the girls, it was bells on their hairbows.

The direction of sound from the bells (foot / head) allows you to know if it's your son or daughter moving about if they're not saying anything.

He taught his kids to say "Ah-Ohhh!" whenever they got into something they knew they weren't supposed to. The kids knew from the start they were not to try and hide from Daddy, because they'd be in even more trouble.

Also, he can tell when his kids are lying just by the tone of their voice.

Being blind doesn't make you any less capable of being a parent than it does someone who's sighted.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
There is a tremendous amount of prejudice against the blind, deaf, disabled and elderly. I think this story is a good example of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting