Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,830 times

Advertisements

I have always worked (through college and beyond) but my parents did help support me during my college years and a bit later. Their reason: they were poorer then poor when they graduated college and did not want that happening to their kids. I guess that makes me spoiled but I do have a job and support myself now.

I don't have a problem with people moving back in with their parents. I know plenty of people living with parents who work. Some of them are saving up for houses, some of them are helping ailing parents, and some of them are single and just don't want to live alone (hey, living by yourself can be lonely). I also know people who mooch off of their parents, but honestly I think that is the problem of the parents for allowing it to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:05 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brit3218 View Post
I'm 22, just graduated from college and moving to Massachusetts in a few weeks. I have absolutely no plans on moving back home with my parents. If worst comes to worst and I suffer financial hardships, there are 49 other states along with over 200 cities and countries that I can live in without having to go home. I depended on my parents all while in college and do not want to go through that again. I'm super excited about becoming independent. I know that if I move back to Tennessee where all of my family is, then I will never grow up. I hate seeing people my age mooch off their parents! Grow up and move out!
This was my attitude at age 19 minus being able to depend "on my parents all while in college" I had to pay for that by working two jobs and going to night school or on my lunch hour. One of my jobs was at the University I attended so I could get health insurance as an employee.

I commend this poster for his independence, wanting to succeed on his own, and acknowledging that some "people [his] age mooch off their parents! Grow up and move out".

Old 08-16-2010, 06:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sorry but the most disciplined person in the world isn't going to be independent working 15 hours a week for $9.50 and hour. Those plentiful entry level positions where you can work hard and work your way up are long gone. I made it on my own at age 20 with no college education and no special skills, but that was 30 years ago. I couldn't do it like that today. In fact, I can't even do it NOW and I'm not an undisciplined young adult who wants it all now.

To the rest of your post...huh? Never mind, I don't really care.
what i am seeing on this thread is a lot of the victim spirit not the fighting spirit that carried our grandparents--- against all odds. they are the people that made it thru the great depression what were the economics odds then? how much were they getting paid then? what was the educational level then?
as to your lack of interest in my posts, thats ok, people hear and see just what they want to. as to lack of opportunity, very true but what a sad response to the challenge, looks a bit like a lota fear masquarading as economic commentary.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-16-2010 at 06:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what i am seeing on this thread is a lot of the victim spirit not the fighting spirit that carried our grandparents--- against all odds. they are the people that made it thru the great depression what were the economics odds then? how much were they getting paid then? what was the educational level then?
as to your lack of interest in my posts, people hear and see just what they want to.

Exactly...well put!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Im sorry but last year we had to live with my cousin because we lost our jobs my husbands paid 50 k and mine paid 40 k and now those jobs are long gone . Thank god for my cousin she opened her home and her heart to us and I was ever so grateful for it . We thought our move woudl be a good one well now we are counting pennies and hoping my husband wont lose his job . everyone is living with family because the job market stinks and when jobs go homes go .

Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
I live in New England and it is very traditional here for a recent college grad to move back home for a year or two, save money and have a downpayment to buy a condo or starter home. I live in an area that real estate is very expensive and renting is just a waste of money anyway. So young grads live at home to attain this goal. Those that start out this way seem to be financially more secure later on.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I live in New England and it is very traditional here for a recent college grad to move back home for a year or two, save money and have a downpayment to buy a condo or starter home. I live in an area that real estate is very expensive and renting is just a waste of money anyway. So young grads live at home to attain this goal. Those that start out this way seem to be financially more secure later on.

I live in the area too, and I agree-and we hope that our kids will do this. Why should he/she rent some flop pad when they can be putting that money away for a down payment? I can't give my kids that, but I can let them stay here and save.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I guess by saying "we" I meant that if he could not afford to move out because of the lack of a decent job that "we" meaning my husband and I, might have to reevaluate our deadline. Believe me, his financial dealings are his alone. Now, as well as once he graduates, I am all willing to help him, but I do not support him in a financial sense. He has his own loans, he pays his rent, he pays his cable, food, etc. So far, we have not needed to pay for everything. He wants to be independent but the reality is even the basics are expensive and a living wage is hard to come by.

He is still my kid. I love him and want to help him move into adulthood. My primal instinct as a mother is to make sure my child is fed. I can't imagine not caring if he has a warm meal in his belly even if it's just Chef Boyardee.
Thanks. I understood that.
Quote:
permapuppy - failure to develop to adulthood. failures are not born they are carefully sculptured.
Quote:
Sorry but the most disciplined person in the world isn't going to be independent working 15 hours a week for $9.50 and hour. Those plentiful entry level positions where you can work hard and work your way up are long gone. I made it on my own at age 20 with no college education and no special skills, but that was 30 years ago. I couldn't do it like that today. In fact, I can't even do it NOW and I'm not an undisciplined young adult who wants it all now.
The difference now is, so many are college grads still looking for entry level jobs because they have a useless degree in a field that is not hiring. Oh, and they have thousands in loans to pay back on top of it all. So here we have college grads who owe bunches but still look for work at McDonald's, but they want it all so they live with mom and dad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
I think it's a combination of factors. It's the job market, the expense of college, and the stuff. The days of working your way through college are gone. It's expensive, and financial aid is more difficult to get. However, I agree that young people are addicted to material goods. So, I don't necessarily think it's one trend or the other but a collision of both.
That's not true. Right off the top of my head I know two girls who are working their way through college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Also don't forget the costs of things have either gone up, or now exist, when previously they didn't.

Case in point: a telephone. Let's say you just want landline. You can't get "dial" anymore, without buying a converter (which you never used to have to buy). So let's say you use touch-tone.

You now have to pay for touch tone. You have to pay for long distance, which is much more expensive now than it used to be UNLESS you subscribe to a package. But the package is more expensive than basic touch tone landline, and comes with stuff you don't necessarily need or want. There are also taxes on telecommunications that never existed when we were young and living in our own apartments and paying our own bills, and often those taxes can add up to more than the base phone service itself.

Now let's add in TV. Used to be, you'd buy the TV, plug it in, and you'd be able to watch at least 2 local stations, and the local PBS on UHF. No more. Now, if you want a TV, you *must* have digital. There is no UHF/VHF anymore, it no longer exists. And in order to have digital TV, you *must* subscribe to a digital service, and that costs money which you never had to spend before.

Youth, in order to even have the bare minimum that we had when -we- were their age, are now required to dish out far more money than we did not only in cold cash, but proportionately. Once we owned a TV, it cost us $0.00 to watch it. Now it costs a minimum of $34.95/month.
Not true. I have digital and use an antena. You don't need cable to use digital. It doesn't cost me a darn thing.

Most young people have cell phones now so landlines aren't necessary.

It's all priorities. Pay the basics and if there is anything left over, save or have some frills.
Quote:
as to your lack of interest in my posts, thats ok, people hear and see just what they want to. as to lack of opportunity, very true but what a sad response to the challenge, looks a bit like a lota fear masquarading as economic commentary.
Most of it is over-protectiveness. Parents make a lot of excuses for their offspring because they don't want to expect the same from them as what was expected of us when we were that age. That and denial that their precious children just might be capable of taking care of business if left to their own devices and required to.

It's quite an acceptance that mom isn't needed anymore to wipe noses and cook for their children. Moms don't like to think they are no longer necessary in the every day lives of their children so they keep the kids dependent on them and the kids happily oblige.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
People who refuse to recognize the state of our world today, and insist on calling people lazy or materializstic, are not worth debating with. Things are not as they have always been. Thing are not how they were 5 years ago for heavens sake. Does nobody pay attention to the news? Commenting on the situation of others, with blinders on, is less than pointless.

There are as many reasons for families staying together past college as their are families. It's amusing to see people post who assume to know it all, really. As far as making it against all odds, I would say that they ARE making it against all odds. Just not the way you think.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
People who refuse to recognize the state of our world today, and insist on calling people lazy or materializstic, are not worth debating with. Things are not as they have always been. Thing are not how they were 5 years ago for heavens sake. Does nobody pay attention to the news? Commenting on the situation of others, with blinders on, is less than pointless.

There are as many reasons for families staying together past college as their are families. It's amusing to see people post who assume to know it all, really. As far as making it against all odds, I would say that they ARE making it against all odds. Just not the way you think.
You're right. There are some young people who are lazy and materialistic, but from what I see as a college instructor, it's just not as easy to rent a cheap off-campus place with a couple of friends and pay your own way as it was 20+ years ago when I was doing it. Sure, there are people who do it, but without scholarships, grants, or loans, it's not really possible. I know. I watch my students struggle with full-time course loads while working 25-30 hours a week just to stay in gas and books. Now, of course, many of them also have Iphones and wardrobes from A&F, so that's the other side of the proverbial coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting