Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM

200 posts, read 548,402 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the replies. I called the county's birth certificate office and was told I have to get a court order to do a name change for a baby.
So I looked up here:
http://www.co.collin.tx.us/district_...e_schedule.pdf
The cost of a court ordered name change would be from $300-$500.
After more research, I believe the spelling of the name can be changed with just an affidavit by parents using the birth record amendament application.
Texas Vital Statistics – Amend a Birth or Death Record

The baby's name is Avery like Avery Johnson. I would like to use "Averie" instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM

29 posts, read 126,940 times
I have a baby girl named Avery too

I don't think it's such a terrible thing to share a name with Avery Johnson. I don't follow sports at all, and he was unknown to me, but (according to wikipedia, at least) it looks like he's had a pretty good career and no major scandals in his personal life, and I bet he's pretty unknown to many people that don't follow basketball. It's not like your baby shares a name with Dennis Rodman or Shaquille O'Neal.

If you really like the Averie spelling better, that's one thing, but if you're just looking to avoid your kid sharing your name with someone famous... What will you do if a year from now someone named Averie Johnson rises to fame or gains infamy?

Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM

200 posts, read 548,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifoLove View Post
I have a baby girl named Avery too

If you really like the Averie spelling better, that's one thing, but if you're just looking to avoid your kid sharing your name with someone famous... What will you do if a year from now someone named Averie Johnson rises to fame or gains infamy?
Well, my mom and mom-in-law both have some concerns about naming a girl with a boy's name. There is an Avery Fisher who is also male. I do not think there would be "a boy named Averie", at least in the near future..

Old 09-28-2010, 07:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
Well, my mom and mom-in-law both have some concerns about naming a girl with a boy's name. There is an Avery Fisher who is also male. I do not think there would be "a boy named Averie", at least in the near future..
I like the name Avery and I prefer the "y" spelling. I think its more sophisticated; I have Sherrie and Sherry friends and I just prefer the single vowel ending...seems more adult. However if both grandmas are thinking "ie" is better and you agree, then maybe the grandma's will spring for the court fees to make the change. You could always be sure to use her full name on documents that matter: Avery Marie Smith.....

Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I know 5 kids with the name Avery. 4 are girls and one is a boy - none are famous and I never heard any type of concern from any of their parents about the name sounding like an NBA player.

The grandmas making a big deal out of nothing....and if they are starting now with just the baby girl's name and you give in, just wait until they start complaining to you about everything else you do. Stand your ground, mom and don't give in. Avery is your daughter.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

29 posts, read 126,940 times
Maybe it's a generational thing. When I was pregnant with my Avery I got a few passive agressive comments from older family members ("Are you still going to name her Avery?" Yes! We decided months ago, and are not going to change things up 2 weeks before birth!).
I am very thankful that everyone with a negative opinion kept it to his/herself once the baby was born.
Your mother and inlaws already had their chances to baby name. It's your and your husband/partner's turn now, and I think it's incredibly rude of them to criticize after the fact.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM

229 posts, read 607,081 times
This is the dumbest post I have ever read.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM

112 posts, read 314,820 times
Avery is a beautiful name and spelling, I wouldn't change it. My parents gave me a certain first name, but I have been going by a nickname for 30 plus years now. The only time I use my given name is on legal documentation. Your child may decide to spell her name differently herself, or prefer her middle name and go with that. Someone may even give her a nickname that sticks, like me. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
I agree, don't change the spelling. Stop and think about it. Either way it is spelled, it sounds the same, and with the new spelling you are considering, she will have to constantly spell her name out for people.

Last edited by Rapunzll; 09-28-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: corrected error.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
I know 2 Avery's, both girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting