Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

My daughter was five when she asked if it was really me and daddy who bought the presents and wrapped them and wrote Santa's name on them. I was shocked. I thought it would last a little longer. She just didn't see how he could fly around the whole world and visit all those kids in one night. I tried to impress upon her that Santa could certainly do all that because he had lots of help, and I saw the little lightbulb go off in her head that "Yeah, Mommy WANTS me to believe in this Santa guy because it's fun for HER if I do." So she played along for another couple of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Children want and deserve a little magic in their lives, IMO. I know there are those that do not allow their children to believe, just as there are parents who sit beside their children at a magic show and explain each magic trick to their children.
You don't have to lie to your kids in order to make the world a wonderful place for them.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
My daughter has asked me several times if the tooth fairy is real. I don't answer her directly; I ask her what she believes. She used to say "I think she is real" but she recently said "I think she might be real, but I think it might be that the parents put the money under the pillow." I said "that seems like a good possibility." But she didn't ask me to be more direct about it, and I take that as she still wants to play the game. Sometimes kids need to get places on their own.

My own parents did not permit us to believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa, and we were VERY jealous of the kids that got to believe.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:01 PM

853 posts, read 4,038,257 times
I have a similar situation and thoughts to J_Lurk. When my kids started asking, I turned it around (Polar Express helped with that for Santa Claus), and I wanted to have my kids believe for awhile because my parents did not do that with me (which also made it very hard to come up with quick answers,,,,,lol!).

My older son was 10 when he asked and he was ready. I don't remember how I told him other than answering his questions. My younger son wanted to believe for as long as possible (he told me that if Santa wasn't real could I make sure to tell him before he had kids so he'd know to get them presents!). However, he then tricked us into telling him (he pretended he knew, but he didn't), and then he was sad for a bit once we confirmed. He did get mad a little that we "lied", but when I explained how much more fun it was than how I was raised, he became OK with it (other than learning that the presents are not free!).

Also, I think the Tooth Fairy story is one of the more questionable stories, and then if that's not real, they wonder what else is not real.....

Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Wait...are you saying they didn't question Santa Claus until they were SEVENTEEN and THIRTEEN?? Holy crap.

They were about 8 or so.... they are NOW 17 and 13..

Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
My daughters grandpa (my stepdad) looks like Santa, we convinced her to behave by telling her grandpa was Santa....

Old 10-01-2010, 11:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I still like this story for the Santa questions!

My First Christmas Party: Inspirational stories, motivational stories, poems,

Old 10-01-2010, 11:55 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
My daughter has asked me several times if the tooth fairy is real. I don't answer her directly; I ask her what she believes. She used to say "I think she is real" but she recently said "I think she might be real, but I think it might be that the parents put the money under the pillow." I said "that seems like a good possibility." But she didn't ask me to be more direct about it, and I take that as she still wants to play the game. Sometimes kids need to get places on their own.

My own parents did not permit us to believe in the Tooth Fairy or Santa, and we were VERY jealous of the kids that got to believe.
First off, I think this is a very nice way to do it.

On the other hand what I really want to say is.
What do you mean the toothfairy and santa are not real. heathen.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM

556 posts, read 798,357 times
I think when kids ask over and over it's time to tell them the truth, that the tooth fairy and Santa and the Easter Bunny are in fact real! Every Mom and Dad that participates in these traditions are Santas and Easter Bunnies. On top of that there are Toys For Tots and all of the other great organizations of people, REAL Santas! The guy in the red suit is just a symbol and representation of all the good there is in this world

Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I don't recall ever believing in the tooth fairy. I know I was in kindergarten when I found out about Santa, so I don't really have any Santa memories either. I'm not sure how I will confront some of these things. We don't want to lie to our children flat out like that. Now, we may do something about Saint Nicholas, you know the real guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting