Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times

Advertisements

Next practice, my husband will establish rules for everyone! This should've been done before, but assuming that children know not to hit, spit, kick, or swear has proved to be futile.

We can only move forward, and I'm saddened that this has (in my mind) put a damper on a friendship...our kids do NOT want to be around this child and frankly, neither do I. But we have to get through this season and the best we can do is to establish boundaries and consequences.

I really love all of the great suggestions from everyone! It's always good to get perspectives from others. It's hard sometimes to muddle through it when you're in the thick of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 AM

208 posts, read 271,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
throws the ball intentionally to hit other coaches on other teams,
Ok. So this tactic could be useful.

But really. In all seriousness. Wow. That child needs some discipline. I'm glad that your husband will be establishing the rules (and the consequences too?) at the next practice - does he have a visual aide? I feel like a chart would be good at this age group, with the team name, mascot etc (so it has the team feel to it) maybe something they can all put their names on. (and then he has something physical that he can refer back to aswell)

I hope that if/when your husband needs to enforce the consequences that it won't strain the friendship too much. Personally, I have the understanding and expectation that any of my childrens' coaches may need to administer discipline/consequences at some point and I'm not going to argue with that (unless there was a genuine reason to question it of course). But as another poster already pointed out, not all parents feel like that!

(Don't you wonder how the parents let things get this way?? What's the deal? Do they realize??)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM

Maybe also while your husband is establishing the rules for what they will NOT do, he can also add in what they WILL do...

Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,405 times
It's funny because we've kind of role played it, because we don't want it to be like he's singling this girl out...so he's going to approach it as very age appropriate.

In fact, we've considered using my oldest daughter and my middle daughter as examples, i.e have them show what NOT to do.

As annoying as this child is, she is still a child and it's not her fault that she is the way she is. Or is it? I mean, she's 6 so she kind of chooses the behavior at this point, but mom and dad should be held accountable for her lack of discipline and self control.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazymomof3 View Post
As annoying as this child is, she is still a child and it's not her fault that she is the way she is. Or is it? I mean, she's 6 so she kind of chooses the behavior at this point, but mom and dad should be held accountable for her lack of discipline and self control.
Oh yeah, I think that at the age of 6, and with the descriptions you've given so far of the parents' actions, mom and dad really need to step up to the plate.

That's not meant to be a pun either.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
In all the leagues my son has been in and now in the football league that I have been coaching in, there are league coach/parent/player standards that must be adhered to. If the league itself doesn't have guidelines then they need to be established. This is the fallback for anyone to deal with the situation. Everyone signs that they agree to the code of conduct as defined and what the consequences are for not following them. In the leagues around here your husband and his friend would have been removed as coaches for allowing this type of behavior to go on.

You have to think about it this way. This little girl isn't just hurting the adults and coaches, she is hurting all of the players on her team. Either through the aggressive play that you mentioned or just the sheer amount of focus she draws to herself, which takes away from everyone. If I was a parent sitting on the sidelines, I'd let it go for one game, but if it happened again, I would have talked to the coaches and if I didn't feel satisfied I would have gone to the league and had my kid placed on another team.

It's not an easy situation, but doing what's right for everyone involved is far more important than a friendship. Taking a hardline stand may just be the motivation her parents need to do what's right and discipline their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting