Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

This is a 2 yr old thread but if the OP still is reading I can share that I have the same type of relationship with my father except I am more like one of your siblings. I dont put the effort in anymore. My parents divorced when I was a teen and dad basically moved on. He had been having an affair with my step mom for a while so when he got busted he moved in with her and carried on his own life. She had 4 children and he basically viewed them as his kids. If I go to his house, its filled with photos of her kids. Its like he didnt have a life before her. My siblings try a lot more with dad than I do. I pretty much gave up in my 20's. I figured it was his problem not mine. IF I'm in the mood I might see him about once a year but other than that I dont really care to. If something should happen to him tomorrow I would feel a little sad but Im comfortable in my decision that I wont have regrets or anything. My step siblings dont care for me. I didn't accept their momma right away so that makes me evil. On the occasion I would see them at Christmas etc because I felt obligated to drop by, they were never welcoming. My one step sister will try to make a snide comment towards me when she can. I moved away from my family about 5 yrs ago. My dad has no idea where I live. I have offered for him to visit. His exact words "Nah, I have no desire." He is clueless on how hurtful that is. I stopped offering and like I said IF Im in the mood I might stop by his house when I go home to visit other family. The last time I saw him, he had downsized from a large home to a much smaller one after he retired. He was being pissy and said the kids dont come around anymore. I loved it when he said kids meaning his step kids whom are all grown adults and their children. I also learned that they owe my dad and step mom thousands of dollars which they have no intention of ever paying back. OOOOh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting