Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The sexual education has nothing to do with it! In US and in UK children learn sexual education in schools! Yet these countries are the first two when it comes to teen pregnancies! Yet countries like Switzerland, Austria or some parts of Germany where the stupid sexual education is not learned there are no problems with teen pregnancy!
The same thing about the divorce rates and other mental problems!
No, in the US they do NOT. Parents opt out. Abstinence ONLY programs are common in the US.

What makes you believe that sex ed is not taught in Switzerland? Also in Switzerland teen sex is accepted at 15 or so.

In Western Europe - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
"In many European countries -- Switzerland in particular -- sexual intercourse, at least from the age of 15 or 16 years, is considered acceptable and even part of normative adolescent behavior." Switzerland, he noted, has one of the world's lowest rates of abortion and teen pregnancy. Teens there, like those in Sweden and the Netherlands, have easy access to contraceptives, confidential health care and comprehensive sex education.
Quote:
Abstinence, he said, is not something the Swiss press on teens. "We think it's unfair. It's useless. It's inefficient. We have been advocating the use of the condom . . . and I think that we tend to be successful."
Sex education *is* taught in the primary schools in Austria as well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A51954979

Quote:
In Austria, sex education in primary schools has been existing for many years. It starts in primary school, at the age of 6 and does not really end until pupils graduate from school at the age of 18. It is an effective system because in Austria, the rate of teenage pregnancies is not that high. Of course, there are teenage parents but it is not because of the lack of sex education. Austria is one of the few countries where nursery - school teachers start to prepare children with the topic sexuality and make them familiar with their own body. It is essential to start at an early stage of life because at the age of five, children start playing doctor in order to investigate their best friend’s body and compare it with their own one.
In primary schools, the teachers continue to make the children aware of the fact that there are differences between boys and girls; they tell them that also animals have babies and finally they try to explain why their mother’s stomach gets bigger and bigger and why there is somebody in it. This process of defining and explaining lasts some years. For teachers it is important to bear in mind that they work together with children who just understand what they want to understand.
Sex education is continued in secondary school and grammar schools. This is also a reason why the Austrian system is fairly effective. Children grow older and develop a better understanding for the material Therefore, it is important to introduce sex education in primary school and never leave it until the pupils graduate. Another important aspect is that Austrian teachers also get special classes in how to teach sex education properly
I don't know what parts of Germany you are speaking of so I cannot speak to that population.

Dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post

We've got to, as parents, face up to the idea that most 16 -17 year olds are going to start their sexual lives, whether we want them to or not.
That's fine & dandy. And if my boys decide & willingly choose to have sex, be it w/ or w/o protection & become a baby daddy, they can have lots of fun raising the child, also. I will not fund their baby making.

I'm not going to store & buying them condoms as that does not protect against pregnancy.

Most teenage boys know about condoms and birth control, as do teenage girls. Whether or not they chose to use it, that is their choice, as is having sex. My choice as a parent is to teach abstinence as that is the one & only true method of avoiding teenage pregnancy & STDs.

If they are mature enough to have sex at 13, guess they are mature enough to raise a child. Legally, I have responsibility of my children for some time, but that does not mean I have to financially tend to the baby or babysit while they work nights & weekends to buy diapers and clothes. Oh, and pay rent. Again, mature enough to have sex, mature enough to be an adult & reality is what it is.

I have a relative w/ 3 baby daddy's. No high schoo diploma. Grandparents provide everything, even the trip to the GYN when she was a teenager for birth control. She still got pregnant. Not once. Not twice. But 3 times before she was 21. Now, grandparents have custody of #1.

Condoms and sex ed have been going on in our schools for years. Kids can get condoms as easily as they get drugs and alcohol.

And I, as the parent, will not fall victim that if we provide condoms and birth control to them when they are 12, it will cut down on pregnancy.

Absitence is not being encouraged, but rather condoms and the pill. Obviously, condoms and b.c. in our teenagers is also not working....

Old 10-24-2010, 02:34 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In the south, there is a lot of opposition to sex education classes that do anything other than talk about abstinence. On the Texas ballot, we have a proposition this year that insists on requiring a sonogram and looking at it for any mother who wants a *medically unnecessary* abortion. While I don't favor abortion, I think discriminating against women when this should be a decision between her and her doctor is a crime.
That's crazy. Keep us posted on how the vote goes. It's downright unconstitutional. There can be no laws that apply to only part of the population, and this law only applies to women. If they want to drag the father into the sonogram room too, then the law wouldn't be unconstitutional. If the vote passes, I don't it surviving the supreme court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The sexual education has nothing to do with it! In US and in UK children learn sexual education in schools! Yet these countries are the first two when it comes to teen pregnancies! Yet countries like Switzerland, Austria or some parts of Germany where the stupid sexual education is not learned there are no problems with teen pregnancy!
The same thing about the divorce rates and other mental problems!
Many areas of the United States don't have sexual education classes.

European countries with low pregnancy rates and no sexual education have a culture of parents who aren't afraid to teach their children about birth control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That's fine & dandy. And if my boys decide & willingly choose to have sex, be it w/ or w/o protection & become a baby daddy, they can have lots of fun raising the child, also. I will not fund their baby making....

....If they are mature enough to have sex at 13, guess they are mature enough to raise a child. Legally, I have responsibility of my children for some time, but that does not mean I have to financially tend to the baby or babysit while they work nights & weekends to buy diapers and clothes. Oh, and pay rent. Again, mature enough to have sex, mature enough to be an adult & reality is what it is.
That's delusional.

If your 13 year old gets a girl pregnant, YOU will be paying child support until your child turns 18. YOU will be taken to court, not your 13 year old.

And you wouldn't be the parent being asked to babysit because the baby would be living with the mother's family, not your family.

So, basically, you are saying that if your son gets a girl pregnant, you're going to make your son pay rent. It's illegal for parents to require rent from minors.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

European countries with low pregnancy rates and no sexual education have a culture of parents who aren't afraid to teach their children about birth control.

Actually she is wrong anyway about the countries she talks about.

Switzerland and Austria do have sex education.

The UK, btw, only made sex education compulsory in 2008. Before that religious schools could opt out and even now religious schools get to teach their beliefs as well as the national curriculum.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
That's fine & dandy. And if my boys decide & willingly choose to have sex, be it w/ or w/o protection & become a baby daddy, they can have lots of fun raising the child, also. I will not fund their baby making.

I'm not going to store & buying them condoms as that does not protect against pregnancy.

Most teenage boys know about condoms and birth control, as do teenage girls. Whether or not they chose to use it, that is their choice, as is having sex. My choice as a parent is to teach abstinence as that is the one & only true method of avoiding teenage pregnancy & STDs.

If they are mature enough to have sex at 13, guess they are mature enough to raise a child. Legally, I have responsibility of my children for some time, but that does not mean I have to financially tend to the baby or babysit while they work nights & weekends to buy diapers and clothes. Oh, and pay rent. Again, mature enough to have sex, mature enough to be an adult & reality is what it is.

I have a relative w/ 3 baby daddy's. No high schoo diploma. Grandparents provide everything, even the trip to the GYN when she was a teenager for birth control. She still got pregnant. Not once. Not twice. But 3 times before she was 21. Now, grandparents have custody of #1.

Condoms and sex ed have been going on in our schools for years. Kids can get condoms as easily as they get drugs and alcohol.

And I, as the parent, will not fall victim that if we provide condoms and birth control to them when they are 12, it will cut down on pregnancy.

Absitence is not being encouraged, but rather condoms and the pill. Obviously, condoms and b.c. in our teenagers is also not working....
True - there is very little reason to believe that the kids who end up pregnant didn't know about sex or that babies come from having sex.

Abortion is taught as a very simple pain-free solution to pregnancy which is why abortion rates are sky high in some parts of the country - but many of these were birth control failures, not from abstinence teaching.

My dad told his sons that he was 100% in favor of shotgun weddings and also that if they didn't love a girl and want to help raise a child with her for the next 18-20 years then don't just use her for sex.

What helps most is to delay the age of one-on-one dating as long as possible. No dating until age 16 and group dating should be encouraged. Reminding kids not to start something they shouldn't finish before they date, cautioning them about being pressured into sex - all that can work.

Not all kids start having sex with every boyfriend or girlfriend they have at age 12 or 13 - and parents can do everything they can to delay things. Handing them condoms and telling them to have fun with their "dates" or dragging a daughter off to be given birth control implants isn't the only approach - but obviously it is an easy approach.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Abortion is taught as a very simple pain-free solution to pregnancy which is why abortion rates are sky high in some parts of the country - but many of these were birth control failures, not from abstinence teaching.
Abortion isn't even taught in sex education classes.

It's taught, along with the other options, in the lifestyles class that is an optional elective when teens are in high school.

You know what class I'm talking about: the class where the students carry the fake babies around the school.

A very small percentage of students take that elective. As a result, it can't be what's responsible for the high abortion rates in the country.

But abortion is not part of the standard sex education program at all, not where I live.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
That's delusional.

If your 13 year old gets a girl pregnant, YOU will be paying child support until your child turns 18. YOU will be taken to court, not your 13 year old.

And you wouldn't be the parent being asked to babysit because the baby would be living with the mother's family, not your family.

So, basically, you are saying that if your son gets a girl pregnant, you're going to make your son pay rent. It's illegal for parents to require rent from minors.
I'd do what the family of my cousin's husband did. Not at age 13 however because I don't allow dating at age 13, for one kids that age have no money to take a girl out. At age 16 or when they do date, if they go that route then they can marry and be there to raise their children. No more going out with their friends - they will need to be husbands and fathers. This approach will scare most kids. Also it helps if the girl's father but the mother can also do it, is meet the boy when he arrives and lay down a few rules, like bring her back in the same condition and by a reasonable time - like 10 pm. Go over how much time is needed to see a movie, get something to eat and make curfews accordingly.

I wouldn't make them pay rent but they would have to have a job to help support their family. Instead of video games and nights out with the guys, they're going to be working and staying home with their baby.

Most importantly, I make sure they know all this well ahead of time. I also tell them if they don't want their own little child to end up in some abortionist's trash can to be careful what kind of girls they date.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Abortion isn't even taught in sex education classes.

It's taught, along with the other options, in the lifestyles class that is an optional elective when teens are in high school.

You know what class I'm talking about: the class where the students carry the fake babies around the school.

A very small percentage of students take that elective. As a result, it can't be what's responsible for the high abortion rates in the country.

But abortion is not part of the standard sex education program at all, not where I live.
The schools here push abortion and all the birth control - sex ed courses but they wouldn't need the fake babies, there are plenty of real babies and real teen mothers that could serve (and do serve) as examples.

The bad thing is that the boys aren't expected to stick around, and the teen mothers' own mothers often decide to be babysitting grandmothers so their little girls don't loose any freedom or fun times.

Really I think it's more the way the welfare system makes sure that there are no downsides to having children as single teen mothers. They get free health care, it costs no one anything (except taxpayers) anything for the maternity visits and hospital stay. The girl starts getting WIC and a food stamp card and feels all grown up with them. She gets free babysitting paid for by the school district.

They even have all sorts of awards for the teen mothers - every awards ceremony includes them in some way, you can't give an award to the top math student or the top sports athelete without some award for someone in the teen parent program.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:18 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm pro-choice, but I do not support teaching abortion in general sex education classes. Pregnancy, STDs, abstinance and contraception, yes.

I do not believe abortion should be taught along side contraception. Doing so portrays it as contraception.

While I believe abortion has it's place, I do not believe in it being used as contraception casually.

I don't even believe adoption should be taught in general education classes. Abortion and adoption are saved for lifestyle classes where I live.

General sex education are reserved for only addressing STDs, medical explanation of pregnancy, how pregnancy happens, how to avoid pregnancy, etc.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
That's crazy. Keep us posted on how the vote goes. It's downright unconstitutional. There can be no laws that apply to only part of the population, and this law only applies to women. If they want to drag the father into the sonogram room too, then the law wouldn't be unconstitutional. If the vote passes, I don't it surviving the supreme court.

Many areas of the United States don't have sexual education classes.

That's delusional.

Nope, my 13yr gets a girl pregnant, he can rack leaves, cut the grass, wash dishes, wash the car, vacuum,...I can come up w/ a whole list of jobs that can take up all his spare time, in between finishing school & caring for his baby b/c legally a 13yr old cannot get a job. But I can find LOTS of jobs around my house for a really long time. That way, he can figure out if 2 mins of sex was worth it.

I said that I was legally responsible for my child, thus his child also, but as a parent, I won't sit around & babysit for him while he can be a "teenager".

Yep, they can pay rent...in terms of paying for the food they eat in my home, the water they use, basically, everything.

I, along with a whole host of other people I know, wasn't walking hand and hand up to Planned Parenthood w/ my mommy b/c "just face it, I was going to have sex." My parents surely talked to me about sex. And that if I got pregnant, the whole list of changes. And since my parents were never my friends to begin with, I took them seriously.

As for babysitting, unless the mother takes the father to court, the father & his family are allowed to see the baby. And nope, I can be in the house, but I don't need to be changing the diapers or feeding the baby while my son texts his friends. He can do it.

My kids will decide have to sex whether I like it or not. But I see no decrease in teen pregnancies w/ condoms being available left & right, either.

But I will not get on the bandwagon of giving them all the tools to have sex & then say "oh, wait, the only way to NOT get an STD or pregnant is NOT to have sex, but here are some condoms..." It's the easy route, but that is the way of parenting today...the easiest way that makes the least amount of noise & makes the parent seem all involved, concerned and politically correct.

Last edited by 121804; 10-24-2010 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting