Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Well if they aren't going to use it....then maybe it's best not to give them a choice and put them on it no? And i have taught teen health classes before with young mothers and all of them tell me they use bc, so i am curious when you taught these classes and where because that can factor in.
If you are adamant about birth control, they will tell you they're using BC even if they're not. Mine seems to be a common experience among teen parenting teachers, yours seems to be the exception from what I've heard from other TP teachers.

I taught TP in Champaign, IL and the friend I 'quoted' taught in Boulder, CO, both college towns with very 'liberal' ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have taught teen parenting, and I have friends who have taught teen parenting. One TP teacher once said, "These teen moms will never question immunizations, like the older parents. They'll do anything you want. . . . except use birth control". It's a teen thing. See post #25. If you think that these young ladies are eagerly snarfing up birth control now that they have had a baby, think again. You're right that teens don't have the reasoning abilities of adults. They think that girls on birth control are sl*ts (to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak). Hopes mentioned that in her conversation with her son, and I reitierated it.
That's interesting, Katiana, and good info to have. In your experience, why do you think that's the case? In the event that they've already had a child, you would think that horse has long since fled the barn, so to speak.

And I'm wondering why teens feel it necessary to broadcast that they're on birth control. Do they go around telling everybody they've had a pap smear? Is there anything we can do to impress upon them that their gynecological health is nobody's business but theirs?

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
If you are adamant about birth control, they will tell you they're using BC even if they're not. Mine seems to be a common experience among teen parenting teachers, yours seems to be the exception from what I've heard from other TP teachers.

I taught TP in Champaign, IL and the friend I 'quoted' taught in Boulder, CO, both college towns with very 'liberal' ideas.
Well yours seems to be the exception from what i have heard from other tp teachers as well . And no i never teach what they should or shouldn't do, they generally admit this themselves.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Your version of parenting is why we have such a high teen preganancy rate in his country. Easy or not....teens are going to have sex....burying your head in the sand isn't going to alter that fact.
Yep, they sure are & I even said so.

Birth control is about as available to teenagers as tap water. And since condoms can be gotten in the high school nurses office, why is there such a high rate of teen pregnancy?

I'm not burying my head in the sand. My boys can go out & have sex at 11 if that is their desire. And they will live w/ the consequence. Handing them a condom as they walk out the door doesn't do a thing.

I will not promote sex before marriage & stand 150% behind absitenence is the best method & only proven method of not getting pregnant or an STD. Doesn't mean it won't happen. And they will know all their options if this is their decision.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That's interesting, Katiana, and good info to have. In your experience, why do you think that's the case? In the event that they've already had a child, you would think that horse has long since fled the barn, so to speak.

And I'm wondering why teens feel it necessary to broadcast that they're on birth control. Do they go around telling everybody they've had a pap smear? Is there anything we can do to impress upon them that their gynecological health is nobody's business but theirs?
I don't know the answers to your questions, and I'm not doing that work any more. My educated guess, from teaching TP and raising my own kids, is that BC is seen as kind of an adult thing. Even teens with babies still think like teens, and not all want to be in the "old lady" (to them) group.

Community/public health nursing ... - Google Books

"teenagers use birth control sporadically and tend to switch methods w/o taking the proper precautions"

and more.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ahem... no. That's why the teen pregnancy rate is so high. It's because of this totally unrealistic attitude. What good is having condoms available left and right when you won't tell your child to use them?

You can lecture them until you're blue in the face to wait to have sex, (until when, exactly?) and hopefully they will, but their biology is telling them otherwise and will eventually override your voice inside their head.

There are not very many parents who condone their children having sex. However, there are parents who are facing up to the fact that despite their best efforts it's probably going to happen. I disagree totally that giving them birth control is the easy way out. To the contrary, you then have to be extra vigilant with them and make sure they don't see it as some kind of free pass.

I hope to instill all the self respect I can in my daughter so that she makes good decisions about her first sexual experiences, but just in case - because I cannot be with her 24/7 and parents are the last to know about these things - she will be on some form of birth control when she is able to get pregnant.

She has to, because there are parents out there who will not give nor educate their boys about condoms.
I have no problem telling them how to use them. THey will know how to use them & where to get them.

And they can live w/ the consequences.

I haven't hopped on the bandwagon & don't plan on to.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post

Birth control is about as available to teenagers as tap water. And since condoms can be gotten in the high school nurses office, why is there such a high rate of teen pregnancy?

I'm not burying my head in the sand. My boys can go out & have sex at 11 if that is their desire. And they will live w/ the consequence. Handing them a condom as they walk out the door doesn't do a thing.

I will not promote sex before marriage & stand 150% behind absitenence is the best method & only proven method of not getting pregnant or an STD. Doesn't mean it won't happen. And they will know all their options if this is their decision.
It is the best & only proven method. But you say straight after that statement that it doesn't mean it won't happen. Therefore it's not a very effective form of birth control.

It doesn't really matter that you won't teach your boys to use a condom. Because you are correct that it is not the most realiable form of birth control, so yet again you've shifted the burden of responsibility onto the parents of girls, because you refuse to do your part. Whether you make your boy rake leaves after my daughter gets pregnant is of no concern to me. It's my daughter that's going to bear the real consequences of both of their actions.

You don't have to PROMOTE sex before marriage if you don't believe in it. Just accept the inevitable fact that it's going to occur. Unless you want your boys to enter into an ill advised marriage at too young an age because they can't wail to get the deed done, and you've taught them they have to be married before it's acceptable.

If I'd have waited until marriage until I had sex, I'd have been a virgin at 41.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Because how teens are judged factors in....many teens won't buy condoms because they fear their parents finding out about them having sex. So they do dumb stuff like pull out rather then risk their abstinence teaching parents learning about it. Handing them a condom and telling them you expect they act responsible ensures you will cut the teen pregnancy rate. And condom's are not available in all high schools...in fact at the high school down the road i know they are not because the nurse is a friend of mind. You also would be surprised what teens don't know because they aren't taught. Most states allow teens to get bc under the age of 18 without their parent's knowing, but most will look surprised if you tell them that. While abstinance is all well and good teaching it has proven to be an absolute failure as it goes against human nature. In the rest of the western world assistance is not taught....sex education is more comprehensive.....and sex is treated as no big deal. And their numbers are well below ares.....so are you seeing the pattern here?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:04 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Quote:

Just so I'm clear, you're advocating for an "I told you so" style of parenting when it comes something that completely alter your childs life?!!?!?

I'm interested to know how you handle drug and alchol education in your house as well.

You're a junkie, oh well, told you so?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I don't know the answers to your questions, and I'm not doing that work any more. My educated guess, from teaching TP and raising my own kids, is that BC is seen as kind of an adult thing. Even teens with babies still think like teens, and not all want to be in the "old lady" (to them) group.

Community/public health nursing ... - Google Books

"teenagers use birth control sporadically and tend to switch methods w/o taking the proper precautions"

and more.

Most teens don't actually realize then can get bc without their parents as well katiana Have you ever informed them in class of the state laws on access to bc....you would be amazed at the deer in the headlights look you get hehehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting