Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:52 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

I'm pregnant. If we have a girl we're undecided between the following names so far:

Amelia
Alexandra
Charlotte
Elizabeth
Eliza
Louisa
Josephine
Olivia
Rebecca

I like old fashioned names that call history, art and literature to mind. We prefer names that aren't too popular.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 10:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
just about all that you have chosen usually become shortened into nicknames. Do you want that or do you want to be sure to have her called what you named her?

For example....Rebecca becomes Becky, Elizabeth become Lizzy or Beth, Josephine, Jo, etc. Even if you don't shorten it, once she gets around others and it school, it's almost a sure thing, especially if there are others with the same name in her class.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:09 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Amelia
Alexandra
Charlotte
Elizabeth
Eliza
Louisa
Josephine
Olivia
Rebecca

We prefer names that aren't too popular.

Thoughts?
Then, in MY area, you'd have to eliminate Amelia, Charlotte, Elizabeth, Olivia and Rebecca. Very popular names here....

Old 10-24-2010, 10:14 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
I don't really like any of them to be honest....but Alexandra is the most tolerable.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
just about all that you have chosen usually become shortened into nicknames. Do you want that or do you want to be sure to have her called what you named her?

For example....Rebecca becomes Becky, Elizabeth become Lizzy or Beth, Josephine, Jo, etc. Even if you don't shorten it, once she gets around others and it school, it's almost a sure thing, especially if there are others with the same name in her class.
That doesn't bother me.

Around here the popular names are Ava, Grace, Madison, Caitlin, Caitlin, Caitlin and more Catelin/Katelin/Katelyn.

Josephine appeals to me as the heroine of Little Women while Louisa calls to mind Louisa May Alcott. Charlotte is after a relative of mine. Alexandra and Amelia are two names that I just like. Elizabeth/Eliza are old fashioned favorites of mine. Rebecca and Olive are also the names of relatives.

I want something elegant, easily spelled and not too common. I want a name that is clearly feminine and not made up or trendy.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:34 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
I'm not crazy about any of them. Please do not choose Olivia. It's overused and overrated. You said you were looking for names that are not too common. Olivia is one of the most popular girls names and the worst out of your list.

If I had to choose from that list maybe Elizabeth or Alexandra.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Any name can be shortened into a nickname

Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
Alexandra is my favorite and probably the least used of them all right now. It was a contender for us but we went for Caitlin which isn't popular round here. They're all classic names which I love, and they're all spelt correctly too!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
I'm pregnant. If we have a girl we're undecided between the following names so far:

Amelia
Alexandra
Charlotte
Elizabeth
Eliza
Louisa
Josephine
Olivia
Rebecca
I hate Louisa, Josephine, and Oliva. They're all just downright ugly names to me. I would feel cursed if my name were Louisa. I do feel cursed because my middle name is somewhat similar (but not overly similar enough for anyone to guess it here). And Olivia, don't get me started. The nicknames for these names are even more aweful---Lou our Louis, Jo (sorry I know there are many women called Jo because of Joannes, etc., but it's not a boy nickname I find appealing for a woman), and Olive (it's such a drab color and a boring peice of food, and Olly (need I elaborate on that?)

I'm indifferent to Charotte.

Rebecca is nice, but ridiculously common in all generations.

I'm finding myself loving and hating Eliza and Elizabeth at the same time. I just can't get Elizabeth Taylor and Liza Manelli out of my head. That's where the hate comes from.

That leaves Amelia and Alexandra.

Amelia is nice. I know one little girl named Amelia. I though her name was pretty.

I don't like Alexandra, but I like Alex for a girl's nickname, but not Andrea. I woud name a girl Anexandra just for the Alex nickname.

Quote:
Around here the popular names are Ava, Grace, Madison, Caitlin, Caitlin, Caitlin and more Catelin/Katelin/Katelyn.
Popular for what age group? You can't base infant names on the popularity of current grade schoolers or high schoolers. You need to find out what names are popular with newborns and toddlers at this time in your area.

Quote:
Josephine appeals to me as the heroine of Little Women while Louisa calls to mind Louisa May Alcott. Charlotte is after a relative of mine. Alexandra and Amelia are two names that I just like. Elizabeth/Eliza are old fashioned favorites of mine. Rebecca and Olive are also the names of relatives.
Go with the names you 'just like.' Dont name your child after relatives or book characters. I'm sure the book characters are inspiring and the relatives are beautiful people, but dismiss all of that for a moment and just consider the actual name. I'm not saying to never name a child after a relative, but I'm saying to make sure the name stands alone as appealing since most people your child meets throughout life won't know the wonderful relative or the character in the book. They'll just be considering the name.

Quote:
I want something elegant, easily spelled and not too common. I want a name that is clearly feminine and not made up or trendy.
I would only go with Alexandra for the male nickname so that's out. Even if you nickname her Andrea, children at school will nickname her Alex at some point in her life.

Josephine are Louisa are the same problem. Your child's peers will call them Alex, Jo and Lou----expecially as a teen.

Oliva can fall into that category too with Oly, which is a male nickname for Oliver.

Amelia meets all of your criteria, and it's a name you really like.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Any name can be shortened into a nickname
Since the OP has subsquently shared that she wants a feminine name, the nickname is important becasue many of her names have boy nicknames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting