Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming the other man reacted strangely, OR he went home and told his wife about the conversation and his wife thought it was strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm assuming the other man reacted strangely, OR he went home and told his wife about the conversation and his wife thought it was strange.
That's what I'm assuming. I wouldn't think it was strange if two men who knew each other well had that conversation...but it seems an unusual topic for discussion in the aisles of Home Depot with someone you just met.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I would think it inappropriate, or at least not a minefield I would want to enter. NOT because of the gender of the people having the conversation; I see nothing weird or wrong with men talking about breastfeeding, since it's a pretty big topic for both mothers AND fathers. I'd just be wary because it's one of those hot topics, and if you're just meeting someone casually for the first time who wants to risk either coming off as preachy or judgeamental, or perhaps competitive? I suppose it all depends on how it fits into the flow of the conversation, though. Asking if she's still nursing is one thing, drilling on specifics is another, especially in this context.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's what I'm assuming. I wouldn't think it was strange if two men who knew each other well had that conversation...but it seems an unusual topic for discussion in the aisles of Home Depot with someone you just met.
I'm not sure why, but the mental image of the two of them in Home Depot chatting about breastfeeding made me giggle.

I think it has something to do with picturing all the staff in the bright orange aprons with "May I Help You?" or whatever it says emblazoned on them lurking around so they can point them to the breast pumps in Aisle 6.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not sure why, but the mental image of the two of them in Home Depot chatting about breastfeeding made me giggle.

I think it has something to do with picturing all the staff in the bright orange aprons with "May I Help You?" or whatever it says emblazoned on them lurking around so they can point them to the breast pumps in Aisle 6.
LOL - now I know why I can never find anyone to help me there...they are all lurking around eavesdropping on breastfeeding discussions...

Would Aisle 6 be plumbing supplies? Pond pumps, sump pumps, breast pumps....

Last edited by maciesmom; 11-18-2010 at 10:38 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
I don't see anything wrong w/ it either. It seems to me that the man w/ the wife still breastfeeding their child at 11 mths is feeling uncomfortable about it and just wanted to ask another man and get his opinion if this is normal.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
Other questions guys with babies discuss include
Breastfeeding - While the kid has em hubby doesn't
Breastfeeding - Encourage it because if you bottle feed then guess who gets up in the middle of the night.
Sex - Do you do it when she is pregnant.
What sort of fuel do you put in your lawn mower.
Sex
Do you put the 3 month old in the next room to have sex.
Why is it that 6 month old girls can negotiate with their eyes when they can't even speak yet.
Just how many diapers did you change today.
Sex.
My wife never got the hungry munchies. I felt like a let down I was never sent out at 2am for bla bla.
How do you hold the baby capsule in the car when the strap is not long enough.
Have you seen my 3 month old. I am sure I had him when I left home to do the shoping.
sex
chicks - You know if you want to meet chicks carry a baby around.
We have been given 2000 bags of baby clothes and still she wants to buy all new clothes.
Do you want some? No. Oh you got 1000 bags too.
We had to buy a new cot, stroller, pram, etc etc.
You too
sex
Not recently.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:06 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I don't see anything wrong w/ it either. It seems to me that the man w/ the wife still breastfeeding their child at 11 mths is feeling uncomfortable about it and just wanted to ask another man and get his opinion if this is normal.

Wouldn't it make more sense though to ask some of her friends?

Old 11-19-2010, 04:08 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,864,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Breastfeeding - Encourage it because if you bottle feed then guess who gets up in the middle of the night.

LOL...many of us pump so at night we can allow you the joy on that my friend .

Old 11-19-2010, 06:37 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL - now I know why I can never find anyone to help me there...they are all lurking around eavesdropping on breastfeeding discussions...

Would Aisle 6 be plumbing supplies? Pond pumps, sump pumps, breast pumps....
Ha! Perhaps the conversation would go something like this:

Home Depot Associate: "May I help you, sir?"
Man #1 "Everything's fine with the house, but my wife is still breastfeeding our 11 month old."
Man #2 "Yes, in my experience, his wife is just not draining properly."
Home Depot Associate: "Well then, sir, let me show you all the pumps in Aisle 6."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting