Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times

Advertisements

I breastfed with my daughter until she was 2 and plan to with my child thats in the tummy right now! It was the best feeling of my life bonding with her like that. I did have a few problems with people who didnt like the fact I did it in public but other than that It was amazing. Did you breastfeed? If you didnt why didnt you?

Edit: DO NOT attack people because they formula fed or they breastfed. Some peoples milk supply does not come in and for some its a personal choice.

Last edited by cheerbaby112; 09-16-2010 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
this thread is sure to turn ugly. I did BF my 2nd for a few months. I BF'd my 1st for a few weeks but realized that he wasn't gaining weight. He was born at 37 weeks and only 5 lbs 13 oz. Once I started him on formula he fattened right up and was a much happier baby. He was also born via c-section and I've heard it can be hard to bf after that.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM

326 posts, read 837,812 times
I breastfeed my daughter only to 12 months. I kind of regret stopping so soon, I wanted to go until 2 (or more, since I wanted to let her self wean) but with school FT I just couldn't handle it anymore.

I really do NOT want anymore kids so I will just remember the wonderful times wehad that 1st year!!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:04 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I breastfed with my daughter until she was 2 and plan to with my child thats in the tummy right now! It was the best feeling of my life bonding with her like that. I did have a few problems with people who didnt like the fact I did it in public but other than that It was amazing. Did you breastfeed? If you didnt why didnt you?
I have a feeling I'm walking into a trap here, but I'll answer anyway.

I didn't. I absolutely had planned to and do believe it would have been the best thing but unfortunately it didn't go that way. I had a very long labor (4 days) after being induced, that ended with an emergency c section.

I was completely done in at the end of it, and was almost totally unconscious for a few hours after the delivery. Long story short, the nurse gave DD a bottle pretty much straight away because I was so out of it and I was in no condition to even know what was going on let alone stop it.

I believe as a direct result of that, my baby learned to take the bottle immediately and no amount of persuasion would get her to breastfeed. I tried for weeks, and felt like the worst mother ever. I pumped for about a month or so but it's really difficult if that's the only means of feeding, so I gave up. It was a very disheartening experience. Especially given all of the info you get bombarded with telling you how much worse off your kid's going to be as a result.

A very kind friend was nice enough to remind me that she was formula fed as was I, and so was just about everybody else from our generation, and we all turned out (allegedly) ok. So try not to judge people who have problems doing it too harshly, they probably feel terrible already.

Last edited by FinsterRufus; 09-16-2010 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: left a word out

Old 09-16-2010, 11:05 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
I bf'ed both of mine for the first 3 weeks until my milk just disappeared. Happened both times. With my first I wasn't too bothered as I had to go back to work for a sexist pig who wasn't up for providing a space to pump, but with the second (just turned 18 weeks) I was really heartbroken about it. I actually cried the first time he had formula and even now I'm sad about it.

I don't have any problem giving them formula, my son is actually lactose intolerant so it's been easier all round really. And of course my husband loves having the time with them once he gets in from work after I've had them all day. My reaction to the second time around bf'ing failure actually surprised me because I don't consider myself to be strongly pro bf'ing like some can be.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:27 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
I totally understand not breastfeeding, My mothers milk never came in so i was formula fed I begged for my milk to come in because I have horrible allergies and breastmilk is supposed to help that. I hope I can breastfeed with this one but who knows what will happen.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:32 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
I'm not a mother yet, but I totally plan to breastfeed for about the first three months to help me lose weight. (Yep, selfish reasons.) And that's only if 1) I have enough milk. I'm not doing that supplementing stuff. 2) And if my work schedule permits. And after that, formula.
And I plan to cloth diaper, no negotiation there. There are so many great cloth diapering options out there now.

Formula is perfectly adequate nutrition. All the babies in my family were breastfed. None of us were unhealthy, sickly, had learning problems due to an underdeveloped brain (lol), or allergies. Besides, half the people who preach about breastfeeding will probably go and feed their kids fast food every week five years down the road, along with regular frozen food aisle type-feasts.

I'm not anti-breastfeeding though. I love those mothers who do it until their kids are two or three years old and who do it boldly in public. Good for them. But it's not for me.

I'm not opposed to changing my mind either. Maybe my milk supply will be super, maybe I'll love it, and maybe it'll be convenient enough for me. If that's the case, maybe I'll continue.

But every mother I know who tried breastfeeding wanted their body back after a few months. I don't know anyone who did it more than six months. And the one who made it to six months only managed to "hang in there" because at that point, she just wanted to reach the six month mark. lol

Personally? I think mothers who exclusively breastfeed but who use disposable diapers that sit in a landfill for 100 years.... that's far more offensive. Would I shoot seething remarks at those mothers in public over it? No. I'm not a psycho.
But I think disposable diapering is a lot worse than formula feeding...

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
Breastfed the twins for 6 months- regretting not going longer, but nursing twins is hard and almost impossible to do in public, as when one was nursing, the other wanted to as well.

Breastfeeding my little one 7 months now (started solids a few weeks ago, though she's been off them the last few days as she had roseola). Love it, my immediate goal is one year but hoping longer. It's so convenient, no making bottles at night or when out, healthier, and cheaper!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:21 AM

158 posts, read 215,746 times
Yep! Why wouldn't you if you can?

DS was BF until I went back to work when he was 6M old, I expressed for awhile bit really sucked at it. ie i only got a few ml out each time.

I am still BF my 9Month old DD. I'm wanting to wean her now but have a goal of 1Y. I'm really really over it. I do it for her benefit, not mine.

I understand formula is really expensive in the US!? Can someone tell me how much it costs / tin? You can usually get it at the supermarket for $21 here.
The hospital I had my children at sends 95% of new mums home breastfeeding their babes.

I understand there are a few who can't bf for whatever reason. I do think, with all the scientific evidence available, that it is best for the mother & baby to BF for at least the first 3-6M & a heck of a lot cheaper!!!. Actually I think the WHO, world health organization says 2yrs.
Outside of a 3rd world country I think that's a little long, personally.

Penguin_ie, well done on getting to 6M with twins. That's fabulous! Hats off to you!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,504 times
Bottle fed both of mine and have never felt bad about it. They were also 2 of the healthiest kids I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting