Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,922,697 times

Advertisements

They are the devil.

Along with happy meals that do not decompose, they will contribute to the fall of modern society.

I know when I have kids, I will NEVER have dvd players in my car, let them watch tv, let them believe in Santa Claus (why start off lying), feed them anything that is not grown in my garden, or yell at them.
Oh, wait, I do have kids. And I do appreciate some modern conveniences. Just because you have something does not mean you use it to the exclusion of anything else. My van came with the dvd player. We will pop in a movie on long rides. We will also listen to the radio, talk, etc...Its just a tool. It may not be necessary but like someone else said, most of us have or do things that are not necessary, but would be considered a luxury or convenience or diversion.

I honestly don't see why they are so awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:59 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,881,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
They don't vomit all over the car when they read while riding?

LUCKY! I could not read at all as a kid. Made me sick as a dog.

Instead I got to stare out the window and listen to 1010 WINS. "Give us 20 minutes; we'll give you the world".

They do make books on tape you know . My point is kids get more than enough visual stimulation at home, no need to add cars to it.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:06 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,807,027 times
We just got a new (to us) van (finally broke down and joined the minivan crew) and it has a DVD player...and it has wireless headphones...and people in the rear can listen to different radio stations...and my kids watch/use the gadgets all the time.

I don't think it will de-evolve my children into mind numbing media slaves incapable of structured conversation or independent thought. I do think it will keep them happy when we are going from store to store shopping or departing on yet another road trip. Given, we live in an area where 30+ minute car rides are normal to do just about anything. It's really nice to be able to drive somewhere in relative peace and quiet and have everyone be somewhat happy when we arrive at our destination.

Do I enjoy looking in the backseat and only seeing unblinking eyes glued to a TV screen staring back at me...you bet, if the alternative was screaming, throwing, hitting, slapping, arguing, etc. Now, we don't use it ALL the time. The past few trips we've all been singing along to the on-the-air-way-too-early "All Christmas, All The Time" radio station. However, it's still nice to have and if a half hour of Yo Gabba Gabba makes everyone happy when we're driving home from mom-moms at 7:30 and everyones cranky, I'm all for it.

I do find it funny though how many of you pull out these fond memories of roadtrips gone by when you were younger and use that experience to lambast modern convenience. Well, I happen to think that our parents would have jumped all over some modern conveniences. How many of us spent summer roadtrips plastered to vinyl because A/C was an unnecessary "option". How many of us got sick of staring at unending lines of trees and crops? How many of us would have given a right nut (or ovary) to have been able to listen to anything except our parents music choice or NPR? How many of our parents would have given anything not to listen to us bicker and complain? I happen to think most of our parents would have gladly given us a movie to watch versus taking a little sip of Schnappe's to help with their headaches.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:23 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,530,820 times
Quote:
They are the devil.

Along with happy meals that do not decompose, they will contribute to the fall of modern society.

I know when I have kids, I will NEVER have dvd players in my car, let them watch tv, let them believe in Santa Claus (why start off lying), feed them anything that is not grown in my garden, or yell at them.
Oh, wait, I do have kids. And I do appreciate some modern conveniences. Just because you have something does not mean you use it to the exclusion of anything else. My van came with the dvd player. We will pop in a movie on long rides. We will also listen to the radio, talk, etc...Its just a tool. It may not be necessary but like someone else said, most of us have or do things that are not necessary, but would be considered a luxury or convenience or diversion.

Funny Tried to rep you but can't.

Moderation is an amazing thing & thank goodnss for some modern convienences!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,810,478 times
Hey now, I would not have a deep appreciation for John Denver had it not been for my mother 8 tracks!!!

Seriously, I think the DVDs in cars contributes to the ever growing ADHD diagnosis in society.

Before everyone dives on me..yes, I know it is a real disease. I also know it is over-diagnosed and a cover up for bratty brought on by easy-way-out, lazy parenting.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
My parents took us places in the 50's where there WERE no radio stations to listen to. NPR? (Insert mad laughter here.) As I said, we talked to each other. And my parents talked to us about what we were looking at. At the age of five, while driving in an un-airconditioned car with a roof that leaked (we held up buckets) through the state of Mississippi I got a lecture on sharecropping in the South that probably accounts for the social awareness I have today.

And who was ALLOWED to scream and bicker and throw things in the back seat? Maybe if a brother pointed out the Idaho license plate first one of us would have yelled, "Unfair!" There WAS no hitting.

Oh, and I had a brother who would throw up if he even LOOKED at a Buick. We pulled over, let him barf up his breakfast, and drove on to the next historical marker. Today Barfy and I look back on those trips with HUGE affection.

Gets out cane. Shakes it. And mumbles something about whippersnappers.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,966,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I think it is the most awful thing. Why would you give your children MORE tv to watch when there is a great big world out there. God forbid children are allowed to use their own imagination and talk to their parents and sibling while driving down the road. It's just one more step in our de-evolving.
Who needs mommy and daddy when the tv/video games will keep their mouths shut.
DVD players in the car are the single most awful thing? Seriously? You can't think of one single thing in the world that's more awful than a DVD player in the car?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
DVD players in the car are the single most awful thing? Seriously? You can't think of one single thing in the world that's more awful than a DVD player in the car?
You weren't asking me but...

People who do/don't immunize their children.

How's that?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:52 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,298,610 times
Quote:
They are the devil.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,298,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
We just got a new (to us) van (finally broke down and joined the minivan crew) and it has a DVD player...and it has wireless headphones...and people in the rear can listen to different radio stations...and my kids watch/use the gadgets all the time.

I don't think it will de-evolve my children into mind numbing media slaves incapable of structured conversation or independent thought. I do think it will keep them happy when we are going from store to store shopping or departing on yet another road trip. Given, we live in an area where 30+ minute car rides are normal to do just about anything. It's really nice to be able to drive somewhere in relative peace and quiet and have everyone be somewhat happy when we arrive at our destination.

Do I enjoy looking in the backseat and only seeing unblinking eyes glued to a TV screen staring back at me...you bet, if the alternative was screaming, throwing, hitting, slapping, arguing, etc. Now, we don't use it ALL the time. The past few trips we've all been singing along to the on-the-air-way-too-early "All Christmas, All The Time" radio station. However, it's still nice to have and if a half hour of Yo Gabba Gabba makes everyone happy when we're driving home from mom-moms at 7:30 and everyones cranky, I'm all for it.

I do find it funny though how many of you pull out these fond memories of roadtrips gone by when you were younger and use that experience to lambast modern convenience. Well, I happen to think that our parents would have jumped all over some modern conveniences. How many of us spent summer roadtrips plastered to vinyl because A/C was an unnecessary "option". How many of us got sick of staring at unending lines of trees and crops? How many of us would have given a right nut (or ovary) to have been able to listen to anything except our parents music choice or NPR? How many of our parents would have given anything not to listen to us bicker and complain? I happen to think most of our parents would have gladly given us a movie to watch versus taking a little sip of Schnappe's to help with their headaches.

another excellent post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting