Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Back in the late 1980s one of the scoutmasters of my Boy Scout troop had van with a TV set in for the back-seat passengers. The "older" scouts got to ride in it by virtue of seniority. I can't remember if it had a VCR, but we hooked a Nintendo up to it. That made road trips to distant camp grounds a lot more bearable, not just for us but probably for the scoutmaster too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Is this normal? It seems to be fairly commonplace nowadays.

What do you think of this? Do you have your kids watch TV while in the car?

I got to say I think it is completely unnecessary.

No, it's not necessary but does help w/ long road trips. My daughter is 14 now, and she'd rather talk to me or listen to music as to watching TV.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM

952 posts, read 942,714 times
When did it become "normal" to have TV screens in the backseats of cars for the kids?

uhhh....so it's probably gauche to have them in the bathrooms?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:47 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My dad drove us coast to coast in the late 50's. Needless to say there was no TV to look at. We sang. And looked out the window. And sang. And talked. And slept. And sang.

Did the same thing with my kids. Drove all over the country. Singing the same silly songs. "She'll Be Comin' Round The Mountain" is a two-generational favorite. I'm a firm believer that kids can learn a lot about life just by looking out a car window.

I'm agin' em.
I agree. Went on a 3 week, cross country roadtrip when I was a kid and did not have any TV or gameboy to play with. Talked with my brothers and parents, looked out the window, listened to the radio, played travel sized board/card games, etc. Was a great trip.

I am not planning on kids for a couple years, but I would not allow them to be watching TV or listening to an Ipod while we are traveling as a family.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:54 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I
I am not planning on kids for a couple years, but I would not allow them to be watching TV or listening to an Ipod while we are traveling as a family.
It fairly unreasonable to expect children, of all ages, to sit nicely, sing songs & chat away w/ mommy & daddy for 10-13 straight hours.
When you have kids of your own & are in the car for hours on end, you will not mind an ipod.
TV came standard in our car. Doesn't mean we have to use it & we don't minus long road trips. Our inlaws live 13 1/2 hrs away; 45 mins of Max & Ruby is much appreciated by all.
Growing up we travelled everywhere via car & coomunicated/played games w/ one another. We also read books & listened to our walkmans.
Key is moderation

Old 11-21-2010, 04:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Took my 17 yo on on a 3 day road trip last month...He forgot to pack the earbuds to his iPod...we had a ball! I am a lucky one who doesn't get carsick reading. I also used to read books, or read to my kids when in the car....books on tape worked too once they were at ages they could enjoy the same kinds of books....At least that way we could all enjoy it together....

Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
My kids have these things called books....

Old 11-21-2010, 05:51 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I never have and never will so I don't think it's normal, I think it's lame.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,430 times
When I was growing up, we drove to my grandmother's house (9 hours away) every year and we never had a tv in the car. Actually she didn't even have cable on her tv in her house so we never watched tv while we were there. We survived just fine.

My car doesn't have a tv. I don't want one. My youngest brings books and my oldest brings ipod on long trips. I also try to get them to help navigate our trip. I find the gps a crutch.

However, my kids now complain when we fly and there are no movies/boring movies on the plane.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:01 PM

831 posts, read 1,583,180 times
I use one when I travel 8 hrs to my parents with just me and the 2 1/2 yr old in the car. It helps a lot. I try to leave at 4 am so she will sleep most of the way. Then we stop for breakfast let her strech her legs, then back in the car with a movie. It sure beats her crying to get out of the car seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting