Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 02:04 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times

Advertisements

My sons just turned 4 and 8 (their birthdays are two weeks apart). I have only had home parties. Two reasons: I can't afford a party somewhere; The few times we lived in an area with options for a hosted party, it didn't seem like there would be much time for group play. I'm thinking of the indoor pool in our last place and a childrens' muesum in another town.

I spend around $100 and I still think that is a lot. I like to be creative and come up with neat ideas and ways to create games and props for little money. This year, they had a party together that was "knights and ladies." The most expensive thing for me was the pinata and its fillings ($40 together--no more pinatas!). I made swords and shields out of cardboard, princess hats out of posterboard and ribbon from the thrift store, jousting arena using a free rubber ring (to strike through with the sword) and swords out of foam noodles that were on clearance. A build-your-own castle out of free boxes, and an obstacle course from wood scraps we already had. We even had a flutist playing medievel music for free (a friend of a friend who was happy to do it). I bought pillowcases and cut them up so every knight had a tunic (25 cents each), and a variety of goblets to set the table with (.50-$1 each). They got to take home the goblets, the shields, swords, tunics and hats, along with pinata goodies, so there was no goodie bag.

And that, my friends, is my kind of party. All the kids were super-excited before the party and are still talking about the party. It is a lot of work, but I spread it out over several weeks and I really enjoy it. The boys can choose what kind of theme they want--anything. (My oldest had a mining party a couple years ago.) I consider it part of my gift to them. They can have memories of huge parties, but it keeps the parties home-made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
My sons just turned 4 and 8 (their birthdays are two weeks apart). I have only had home parties. Two reasons: I can't afford a party somewhere; The few times we lived in an area with options for a hosted party, it didn't seem like there would be much time for group play. I'm thinking of the indoor pool in our last place and a childrens' muesum in another town.

I spend around $100 and I still think that is a lot. I like to be creative and come up with neat ideas and ways to create games and props for little money. This year, they had a party together that was "knights and ladies." The most expensive thing for me was the pinata and its fillings ($40 together--no more pinatas!). I made swords and shields out of cardboard, princess hats out of posterboard and ribbon from the thrift store, jousting arena using a free rubber ring (to strike through with the sword) and swords out of foam noodles that were on clearance. A build-your-own castle out of free boxes, and an obstacle course from wood scraps we already had. We even had a flutist playing medievel music for free (a friend of a friend who was happy to do it). I bought pillowcases and cut them up so every knight had a tunic (25 cents each), and a variety of goblets to set the table with (.50-$1 each). They got to take home the goblets, the shields, swords, tunics and hats, along with pinata goodies, so there was no goodie bag.

And that, my friends, is my kind of party. All the kids were super-excited before the party and are still talking about the party. It is a lot of work, but I spread it out over several weeks and I really enjoy it. The boys can choose what kind of theme they want--anything. (My oldest had a mining party a couple years ago.) I consider it part of my gift to them. They can have memories of huge parties, but it keeps the parties home-made.
I'm very impressed. I am not creative enough for that sort of thing but it sounds like fun for the kids (not for me).

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
We have pretty much avoided Macdonalds and places that sell food as their primary objective.

Also I try to avoid having them at home so as not to have to clean up the mess after. (Just lazy I guess) but some years they really want to have them at home so we do.

We have done many parties at the local park - Basically just run games and provided food. Also had pony rides although with 2 ponies, you can only entertain 2 kids at a time so the rest have to be entertained and sent over in twos to do the pony ride.

One child had a party at the museum. It was great. We had a sort of back stage tour.

We hired out the local swimming pool one night in the middle of winter. Its heated but they only use it in winter for swimming lessons not normally for the public. All our kids have birthdays in winter and many of their friends have their birthdays in summer and our kids complained that they don't get to host a pool party. This was good fun too. We just brought a BBQ and did a sausage sizzle and the usual junk food. In the pool we played all sorts of games from races, to marco polo to diving for things, shoulder ride fights.

I have no idea what we spend on them. My wife tends to deal with the day to day money. I would imagine maybe between $100 for when we do things at the park to $500 for the pool hire or pony ride sort of thing.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 PM

144 posts, read 307,001 times
When I was younger, My birthday parties consisted of only family members, dinner at home and a cake. When I got older it was birthday dinner at a resturant with family members. But that was pretty much it. Never did big eleborate parties with ponies, chucky-cheese, clowns, DJ's stuff like that and never had friends join us. I dont know if it was because my mom did not have a lot of money or cause she was never one to do social function stuff (she was a homebody type, still is today).

Probably because of my small b-day parties growing up, I was shocked when we went to a party for a 1 year old girl years ago. The parents rented a recreation hall, invited about 60 friends and family, ordered fancy cake and finger foods, and a DJ. The kid didnt even know what was going on!! They have done something similar for her every year since.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
We always just did pizza and cake at the park. Let the kids play. Not alot of money, but lots of fun.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:11 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
Thanks so much for you input everyone, please dont forget to tell me you price range.
This years glamour party package for my daughter is $250 up to 10 kids. Any drinks, food, cake, etc will cost extra. So adding another $100 or so..should add up to $350-$400 total.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 PM

188 posts, read 406,284 times
Wow im surprised to see how many people keep it nice and simple. It could be that I live in NYC where everything is over the top, and usually over priced. Its even shocking to hear the price ranges under $500, thats a starting price for many hosted bday events here... with the exception of Chucky Cheese, thats cheap everywhere.

I still know so many people who rent out halls/centers, and spend tons of money, on what becomes an adults party. There are rented D.J.'s, massive amounts of food, and more adults than children! Dont get me wrong, its big fun (for adults), but seems to be a complete waste of money, especially for those that dont really have it. People go home with all kinds of left overs, slices from 3 different bday cakes, and the bday kid fell asleep due to boredom from lack games and activities.

Ive just recently stumbled upon this trend of bday parties being planned and facilitated at various fun locations, where its cheaper and makes way more sense to have a childs party. I dont have any children, but Im trying to figure out if some people dont know about this, or if they're just stuck in their old ways.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 4,239 times
I've just had a party at home for my 6 year old. There were 8 kids all together. The party went for about 3hrs. We did a craft party. I had 8 different crafts for the kids to make. Alot of finger food that I made and bought. This was quite easy and relaxing. The kids really enjoyed the crafts and it was the talk of school. Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
up until school age i always do them at home.

a few parties in elem school i will let the kids do roller skating (which is $120 including cake and goodie bags and the hostess even takes the gifts to your car for you!)

my dd bday falls around halloween- so we have had halloween parties a few times, which is always lots of fun (and cheap to decorate cause halloween is my fave holiday and i have tons of stuff) I made a 'bloody eyeball' pinata that was a PITA to make, but very very cool! LOL

I would love to do a spa day theme for my daughter and a couple of friends - like for her sweet 16 - i think that would be fun. its a few years away thank goodness though LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,467 times
I'm a little nervous about answering this question because I'm going to get some feedback. I have four children all under the age of nine so I have had numerous parties over the years. We try to do parties every other year and the girls get to pick the theme and we plan around that. Their parties usually range around the $650-800 range and my husband blames it on the nice party favors and decorations. This was a party year:

For 5th birthday, we did a Tinkerbell theme. Each girl received fairy wings and "Tinkerbell" entertained them with facepainting and games. The party was at home in my backyard.

For 7th birthday, she wanted a Candyland theme. This was also in my backyard. We did a bunch of Candyland themed games and cookie decorating. We had a popcorn and cotton candy machine as well as a candy buffet. (This party was over the top). The parents really loved me.

For 9th birthday, we had a Grease theme. All the girls came dressed in Grease costumes and we had a dance party, then we went to a 50s diner for dinner and returned to our house to watch Grease and have a sleepover. (This was a really inexpensive party!)

For 4th birthday, she did a Hello Kitty theme in our backyard. We had a a bounce house and face painting. My friend owns a party company so she gave me a discount on everything and this party was around really inexpensive. I think the food was the most expensive thing because we fed everyone breakfast (it was a morning party).

Since we're only doing parties every other year, my girls have lots of time to plan and be creative and I'd rather have that than the cookie-cutter party. I am so impressed when I read all these posts about people who do such inventive home parties. They are my heroes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting