Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Although I have not experienced the Midwestern states... so I'm not sure if it's the same way there. I wouldn't think so. Just from those I've spoken with, the Midwest seems to mirror the South in some ways. More old-school traditional, more old-school conservative.

As a born and raised midwesterner (Ohio) and married to one (St Louis) I do think the Midwest is right behind the South in getting married early. There might be some stats out there too. Chicago might be the exception.
I've lived in Chicago and I think it is the exception. It's worlds away from the rest of the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't get it either. I think some of it comes from the idea that marriage exists to provide a framework for children, and it is assumed that only straight couples have children. I may be old-fashioned in the eyes of some when I say that I think that it IS better for children to have married parents, but that seems to be all the more reason to allow GLBT couples to marry; they're obviously forming families, too, and their kids deserve to have married parents, too. I think this is all changing (and will change in my lifetime), as the opposition to gay marriage does split heavily along age lines.

I don't know what the numbers on this show so far, but I'd be interested to see how things shake out once gay marriage is legalized in more places. Will young GLBT couples be more likely to marry than their straight peers? Less? The same? If federal law recognizes the right of all gay couples to marry, will that have an impact on the marriages (or marriage rates) of straight couples? (and for the tabloids: will Brad and Angelina really marry?)
I don't get why some people claim legalizing gay marriage will destroy the sanctity of marriage or whatever. If a heterosexual marriage is messed up, the man and woman in the marriage messed it up.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:05 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I've lived in and gone to school in South Carolina, and a lot of girls (it seems) go to college with the goal of finding a husband there. I'm not saying they go to college *just* to find a husband, but it's definitely right up there with graduating. They get dressed up just to go to class, for example.
I got this in Texas, too. It started with their mother's, actually. The mother's wanted to make sure that their daughters got into a good college not so that the daughters could get a respectable degree or anything - so that they could meet their future husbands who would hopefully become something successful (meaning:making good money).

Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Don't married couples pay higher taxes? Wouldn't it work to the governments advantage to allow more people to marry so they can make more money off of them? Plus, for all the couples that wait to have kids until they are married - wouldn't the government like to have more little dutiful future tax-payers and consumers pitter-pattering through the tax system and U.S. economy?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I got this in Texas, too. It started with their mother's, actually. The mother's wanted to make sure that their daughters got into a good college not so that the daughters could get a respectable degree or anything - so that they could meet their future husbands who would hopefully become something successful (meaning:making good money).
Wow, somebody actually told you this?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:25 PM

26,417 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I will DEFINITELY AGREE that strong regional differences exist with regard to this topic. I can speak from experience as I have lived in many different areas of the country, excluding the West. In areas that are more strongly socially conservative people tend to get married at younger ages due to inherent cultural norms present. I agree with some of the other posters that in the South people tend to look for "marriage partner material," during their college years or get married during that timeframe or shortly thereafter. In more urbanized, coastal, and northern parts of the country people are generally more focused on career, possibly graduate school, and accumulating some wealth before even thinking about marriage. This might be more of a broad-brush generalization, but it seems to be a trend that I have noticed. I often term early marriages as "starter marriages," meaning that they have a higher potential rate of failure. The divorce rate is higher for those that get married at younger ages, and this is often the case in the South. Divorce rates tend to be lower for couples that are both have college degrees according to stats I have seen.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:03 AM

149 posts, read 261,311 times
mainly because of feminism and anti-male laws. think divorce, alimony, abortion rights, mandatory child support, domestic violence, false rape, etc. im married and i really wouldnt advise any man to get legally married even thoughi know its the best thing 4 him if done right. the prob is most american women r not raised to be wives but compete. u cant have competition in marriage. teamwork and long term thinkin are key and most people think of short term pleasure. it will fix itself either thru us being invaded by more patriarch countries because they make more babies or those within the country that are patriarch having more kids.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
mainly because of feminism and anti-male laws. think divorce, alimony, abortion rights, mandatory child support, domestic violence, false rape, etc. im married and i really wouldnt advise any man to get legally married even thoughi know its the best thing 4 him if done right. the prob is most american women r not raised to be wives but compete. u cant have competition in marriage. teamwork and long term thinkin are key and most people think of short term pleasure. it will fix itself either thru us being invaded by more patriarch countries because they make more babies or those within the country that are patriarch having more kids.
You do realize, I hope, that women are also expected to uphold these "anti-male" laws? That these are spousal laws, not "male" laws? That women can and do get arrested for domestic violence, and pay both alimony and mandatory child support?

You do realize that many men can and do divorce their wives? That many men have affairs outside their marriages which result in unwanted pregnancies that result in child support or abortions? The resulting offspring which those who were "not raised to be wives" are also financially responsible for while they are still married to said man?

You do realize it takes two to tango - right?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM

149 posts, read 261,311 times
because of divorce, feminist laws (especially from a man's POV), and premarital sex. the men who are getting sex can get it from more than more women which means its would be from a reproductive prespective stupid to commit.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Quote:
because of divorce, feminist laws (especially from a man's POV), and premarital sex. the men who are getting sex can get it from more than more women which means its would be from a reproductive prespective stupid to commit.
wow. just wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting